Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

2. 1up

1up Senior member

3. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

borrelli up there?
    anyone/

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I am honestly curious, is there a tailor in the Bay Area that understands what is this so called "styleforum approved" dress code for MC?

I would definitely be interested in paying he or she a visit as I have a small amount of alterations to be made and would like their input.

Or are the tailors only as good as the individual who details what they specifically like the way their suit/trousers fit?

Would really like to walk up to the tailor and be like "Hey Styleforum, you know?--Yeah please give me that type of cut/tailoring job please"

Any regulars on this side of the forum could give me some suggestions to think about where to hit up next?
    It sounds like I'm asking for an interview and a foot in the door to some exclusive tailor...

5. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Buy it. Yes. Proceed.

6. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

finally, an affirmation, gaahh[​IMG]

7. jtatknox

jtatknox Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of cashmere lined leather gloves that are losing their lining. The leather is beautiful and broken in, aging well. The gloves were not particularly fancy, maybe ~$80 US. Is it possible to have them re-lined for <$40? I'd like to take care of them and keep them a few more years.

8. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I want to get a pair of brown leather chelsea boots for a reasonable price. I buy most of my shoes from AE (so around that price range). Can someone recommend me a good pair?

9. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Would it be an abomination to wear navy chinos with a brown tweed jacket and tie to a funeral? My finances are currently tight so I can't shell out for a quality suit I really want and I don't want to waste money buying a cheap suit I'll only wear once.

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

If that's what you've got, showing respect is far more important than any traditional dress code. I'm sure the family would just be grateful you're there. White shirt and as conservative a tie as you have, of course.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

11. michellefashion

michellefashion Member

This is a great deal. I have a soft spot for two buttoned coats/blazers since they always give an elegant outlook. Well
    This is a great deal and there is no question about going for it.

12. michellefashion

michellefashion Member

This is perfectly in good order. Just as you have mentioned there is no need to spend heavily neither would it be wise at
    all to go for a cheap suite that leaves you regreting. Your presense matters most here, and a nevy white chino is a perfect
    pick for the occassion.

13. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

I have an artistic question, and I'd love some input:

I have commissioned a bespoke black suit - 2 button, single-breasted, flat-front, slim but not skinny. I'm a part-time musician, and I'll use this suit for my gigs and maybe also for parties/going to the opera/etc.

It isn't a tuxedo, and I don't want to pretend it's a tuxedo, so I'm thinking I should inject a little flair into the suit. I've considered putting contrasting stitching on the cuff buttons, or contrasting thread underneath the double-vents. Thoughts? I don't want to be too ostentatious; I just want to add a little sprezz to maximize the bespoke benefits and to show that I'm not pretending it's a tux.

Any opinions/suggestions about this would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

14. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

I like the cut of your jib, young man, but I wouldn't do that specifically. Some of the things I'd consider doing to personalize it a bit would be:

• Some sort of pocket configuration that you wouldn't normally find on a formal-ish suit.
    • Wider lapels. (actually, I always do this anyway...)
    • An extremely loud patterned lining.
    • Go 1-button.
    • Or do nothing unusual to the suit, but wear it with a really interesting pocket square.

15. Shay

Shay Member

Where should twill pants be hemmed with Oxfords?