• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

false

Reaction score
Picked up this corduroy sport-coat awhile ago and the body length makes it look more like an orphaned jacket than a sport-coat.
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...9738/29738.jsp
Is it possible to shorten the body of a jacket and does it require much skill? Basically I want to make it about an inch shorter and the only tailor I know runs a pretty simple shop and a lot gets lost in translation (we have to communicate in a third language). Thanks much.

bluebonnet

Reaction score
Just notice today that the hanger that I am using are wider than my suit's shoulder, will that be a problem?

odiv

Reaction score
How do I keep my tie bar straight? It only has one point of contact (on the tie and shirt) which causes it to sag somewhat on the right side. It never stays horizontal.

Do I just look for better tie bars with a couple points of contact or continuous pressure? Do I just live with the sag?

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a current, decent sized market for Facconable button downs? I have 25+ in small and medium all in nearly perfect condition that I want to list on B/S but don't know if anyone would have any interest. The shirts ran on average $180 retail. I used to wear them almost exclusively but after a job change they're only taking up space.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by false
Picked up this corduroy sport-coat awhile ago and the body length makes it look more like an orphaned jacket than a sport-coat.
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...9738/29738.jsp
Is it possible to shorten the body of a jacket and does it require much skill? Basically I want to make it about an inch shorter and the only tailor I know runs a pretty simple shop and a lot gets lost in translation (we have to communicate in a third language). Thanks much.

There is nothing about a sport coat vs. a suit jacket that implies a difference in length. That J Crew jacket is already shorter than a traditional tailored jacket. You're in full-on SW&D land if you want to shorten it more.

false

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. My understanding was that the body of a normal suit jacket should come down to your first knuckle (where fingers meet back of the hand) and that a sport coat would be shorter than that. All my suits (which are made for Japanese guys) are actually shorter than that while the J crew -which says it is short- seems to be cut for someone with an orangatang's torso. Its much longer than my Japanese suit jackets. Hence me wondering if I could take an inch off the body. Maybe I have no sense of these things.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any thread with comprehensive explanations of different types of overcoats (duffle coat, pea coat, etc.), if possible, with photos? Unsure about how to name certain types of overcoats.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overcoats are to my mind a totally different group then duffles or pea coats.

Overcoat/topcoats can't be confused with either duffles or peas.

Plug overcoat into google image and you'll get many different types to look at. None will look like a pea coat

A pea coat is more of a jacket/car coat then an overcoat.

Trinitrogen Oxide

Reaction score
I really enjoy my brown wolverine 1000 mile boots, and am now looking for some black boots. I like the profile of them, the way they don't feel super chunky. I also like the leather sole. Looking for comparable boots in black around teh price range. I'm thinking Iron Rangers, but I hear they might be a little chunky?

tats

Reaction score
Where do the watch aficiandos here go for after market, quality watch bands. I just picked up an Omega Railmaster 2803.52.37. I have seen a few pictures floating around of Railmasters with a mesh band, wondering where to start looking.

Thanks!

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trinitrogen Oxide

Reaction score
how do mens jeans sizing work? I wear a mostly wear jeans 32x32 or thereabout, but if I take a tape measure to myself I get something like 36 inches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads