• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tps16
Does anyone know if you can view swatches from the Harrisions oyster book online?

The best resource I have found for viewing Harrisons' cloths online is the flickr images maintained by Sf member Andrew Rogers. http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishcloth/. But I dont think the Oyster book is online there. You might try contacting Harrisons or your area distributor for swatches.

Originally Posted by EFBenson
does anyone know how to remove the scuff marks on these suede shoes? they don't come out using a crepe brush

A suede rubber sent free by Pediwear works best for me. But I personally dont mind the scuffs, in fact I think it adds some 'character' to the shoes

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Dude, that IS the point of plain black captoe.

+1 The Weybridge in chili would be a terrible choice for interviews. Bite the bullet and get a nice pair of black captoes (doesn't have to be AE)

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Hi,
I am considering purchasing a deep navy blue pair of lace-ups dress shoes...what do they go with?

Not much. Tried a pair myself once (wingtip bals) and couldn't make them work with anything...black just looked better.

nexus

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for taking the "shine" out of silk? I have a plain gray silk tie that is a little too shiny for my tastes. I remember hearing some old lady talking about some way to dull silk a bit but I haven't a clue what it was. Ring any bells with anyone? I'm not going to wear the tie as is so I'm prepared to experiment.

RazorD

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm quite new to SF and had a quick question regarding dress shirt collars. I'm looking to see if there are any general rules for what works/looks best. I work in an office setting. I generally wear ties about 3-4 days a week (usually with a windsor knot).

elliottw

Reaction score
moderntailor.com easy care, anyone try one of these shirts? they are 100 percent cotton and I was wondering about the feel of them versus regular, and how easy are they really.

spidercan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RazorD
Hello all,
I'm quite new to SF and had a quick question regarding dress shirt collars. I'm looking to see if there are any general rules for what works/looks best. I work in an office setting. I generally wear ties about 3-4 days a week (usually with a windsor knot).

Hopefully somebody who's more informed can chime in, but for what I know the knot is much bigger on a windsor and thus you want a collar that's wide enough to hold the knot. Thus probably a spread collar or cuttaway should work. If you have a narrower collar like a point, probably a four-in-hand works better.

hamzilla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nexus
Anyone have any tips for taking the "shine" out of silk? I have a plain gray silk tie that is a little too shiny for my tastes. I remember hearing some old lady talking about some way to dull silk a bit but I haven't a clue what it was. Ring any bells with anyone? I'm not going to wear the tie as is so I'm prepared to experiment.

As far as I know unless the silk is made to be dull, you can't do anything.

hamzilla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMSBNSN
How do I wear a black blazer casually?

Provided that it doesn't have brass button. I'd pair it with blue jeans and button-down collar shirt & white leather trainers (large plaid shirt should also work).

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMSBNSN
How do I wear a black blazer casually?
Some ideas...
blackjacketwhiteshirtbl.jpg

blacksportscoatboowhite.jpg

fitnavyblazerblueshirtw.jpg

hamzilla

Reaction score
Hello all,

Anything but button-down collars. Spread collars also work if you want something different but you need a little bit wider tie.

Smudge

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm quite new to SF and had a quick question regarding dress shirt collars. I'm looking to see if there are any general rules for what works/looks best. I work in an office setting. I generally wear ties about 3-4 days a week (usually with a windsor knot).
Welcome to SF, rather that buying shirts to work with your chosen tie knot, you might like to consider which collar style works best with your face-shape. I read somewhere that spreads / cut-aways work better if you have a thin face; point collars work better if you have a rounder face (or was it the other way round? :). I'm no expert here but noticed that some collars look much better on me than others. Try a few different styles and see which suits you best. If you really are hooked on Windsor knots, then (as has already been mentioned), they tend to work better with wider / spread / cut away collars since they need more room.

iamthedude

Reaction score
Hello! Newbie here

I got a white shirt I really like at nordstrom rack 2 years ago. It cost me $30 + $34 for altering. Shirt fits really well but its now falling apart and I need to get a new one. I checked the local nordstrom rack but they didn't have what I'm looing for (size 17" neck, 36" sleeve, white, NO pleats or darts, straight collar, long sleeve, 100% cotton, preferably barrel cuff [but will accept french cuff] shirt). I checked ebay and they have a few shirts that may fit what I'm looking for but I'd really like to get an inexpensive shirt.
So where can I find a shirt with the specifications I'm looking for for cheap?

tl;dr: I am looking for size 17" neck, 36" sleeve, white, NO pleats or darts, straight collar, long sleeve, 100% cotton, preferably barrel cuff (but will accept french cuff) shirt for cheap. The fit doesn't make too big of a diffence because I will get it tailored to a very slim fit. Where can I find this?

ffffuuuu.gif
<awesome smiley FUUUUUUUUUUU!

edit: shirt will be tucked in, not left out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads