Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

There are a couple of shirts - mostly two-ply. I'm trying to understand the analysis of whether it is worth spending $50-75 to have the yoke reduced, shirt taken in, and the sleeve trimmed. As mentioned, they are two-ply nearly all from Bloomingdales msrp around $100. Thanks. If needed, pictures can be posted ;P

I say no because the shirt will then cost at least $150. You can probably go MTM for that price.

2. poissa

poissa Senior member

I say no because the shirt will then cost at least $150. You can probably go MTM for that price.

Fwiw I paid $30-35 for the shirts. So it would be $80-100 depending on the final cost =\\ Not sure how much that changes your suggestion.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Fwiw I paid $30-35 for the shirts. So it would be $80-100 depending on the final cost =\\ Not sure how much that changes your suggestion.

Well, that does change my opinion. I say go for it. Is the tailor competent?

4. poissa

poissa Senior member

Well, that does change my opinion. I say go for it. Is the tailor competent?

of course they will be SF approved [​IMG] I'm going to Bethesda Tailor or London Tailor in the Maryland area.

5. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

of course they will be SF approved [​IMG] I'm going to Bethesda Tailor or London Tailor in the Maryland area.

I await the pics! Good luck!

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

its a basic double breasted peak lapel cashmere overcoat. I'm trying to decide if I want a chest pocket or not- im leaning towards yes, for functionality.

So, can a tailor just use my extra fabric to add a pocket , or is it more complicated than that

I imagine it would be possible, but it would be a lot of work. Making the actual pocket is relatively easy, the main problem would be the amount you'd have to take the coat apart to get the necessary access to the inside. If it was a hip pocket you might be able to get away with just opening the side-seam, but with a breast pocket you might need to remove the entire sleeve as well, and maybe open the shoulder too. This then all needs to be put back together, and you need to trust your tailor to be able to reattach the sleeve in a way that looks the same as the other sleeve.

7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] Are these boots leather? Plastic? Is it a stupid question to ask just by looking at that picture?
    From the photo it looks like a corrected grain leather. Of as much or more concern, is that the welt looks like it is plastic.

8. Yika

Yika Senior member

moderntailor.com easy care, anyone try one of these shirts? they are 100 percent cotton and I was wondering about the feel of them versus regular, and how easy are they really.

Doesn't tend to wrinkle as much over the day compared to other non easy care/ non-iron fabrics from MT.

9. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

New here (hi everybody!), several questions, hope that's cool:

Making the transition from dressing like a kid to a more grown up style. Hoping for recommendations on a couple pairs of shoes to buy...currently just own sneakers (chucks) and cheap dress shoes. I've seen Allen Edmonds come well recommended here...is there a particular style of dress shoe I should look for for job interviews, that type of thing? Where can I read up on this?

Also, a recommendation for a casual kind of boot that I could wear with jeans?

Finally, is it okay to wear a tie bar? I think they look dapper, but I'm no expert. If yes, where would you shop for one?

Thanks!

I think you need to determine what looks good to you. The Park Ave's that people have mentioned are just fine, but also a bit boring and, while they would be fine for an interview, might be a bit much for day to day wear. For what it's worth I think the Weybridge is hideously ugly, but to each his own.

I recommend a wing tip blucher. Many here will say that these are casual shoes not suitable for wearing with a suit, but I disagree. No one will bat an eye if you show up in a dark (blue or grey) suit and black or burgundy wing tips. The advantage if this is that you can also wear them casually with jeans, cords, whatever. AE MacNeil, Alden Longwings, or vintage Florsheim Imperial Longwings are all good choices.

10. jaaamin

jaaamin New Member

[​IMG]

Any one know this tie and where I can get it? Thanks in advance.

11. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Senior member

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You're asking for a contradiction. You want suede, which you should never get wet in the first place with a rubber sole for the rain.

13. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Does anyone know where I can get a similar shoe for under a $100

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men...rrie_last.html

Looking for a rubber soled shoe, preferably brown suede, though can go for a dark scotch grain. I need a rain shoe and I like the style.

I don't know the prices, but Bass and Rockport spring to mind. Just go on Zappos or Shoe Mart and search by men's suede shoes.

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

You're asking for a contradiction. You want suede, which you should never get wet in the first place with a rubber sole for the rain.

BS. The 'suede falling apart in the rain' thing is a myth.

To the poster: Bass bucks spring to mind.
    Plenty of options: https://bassshoes.harborghb.com/cata...mens/start/all

15. acecow

acecow Senior member

Do Modern Tailor shirts have pattern matching where the sleeve joins the shoulder? If not, is it possible to add that at an extra cost?