• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mrhoangng

Reaction score

Maybe try on one size smaller jacket, and see how it fits in the body?

Otherwise, just let it rip.

J

This (Hackett) is already their smallest size - 38R. I however have tried 36R at Aquascutum and Jaeger but they both fit too tight in the shoulder.

Last edited:

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Planning on going navy for a wedding, can someone hook me up with an outfit, I can't seem to piece everything together. Maybe a grey HIT suit, white shirt, navy tie, black shoes?

E TF

Reaction score

Planning on going navy for a wedding, can someone hook me up with an outfit, I can't seem to piece everything together. Maybe a grey HIT suit, white shirt, navy tie, black shoes?

If you want to go navy, I suggest a navy suit. Wear it with a white shirt, black shoes and a wedding tie.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How far off the mark with the nehru jacket. Avoid tie next time?

This happened when I was fiddling with the collar.

Oysters

Reaction score
Okay, so my Johnston and Murphy Aragon II tassel loafers just arrived, and I promised I'd post some pictures.

What I'm trying to figure out is if these shoes are actually full-grain leather, as they are advertised on the website (http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?pid=65489&search=aragon).

I don't think I've ever actually seen a full-grain shoe (and if I did then I didn't know) so bear with me..

They do look a bit shiny and plasticky (I don't know if they're supposed to look like this), but the leather certainly feels nicer and less "plasticky" than my other shoes - Clarks Chilton Lace - which I happen to know ARE corrected grain.

The evidence:

If anyone has any general comments on whether the leather does appear to be full-grain, whether it is good quality leather or just whether the shoe is good in general, please reply. Thank you.

P.S. I know you all want to bash J&M - but they were $99, come on!

Last edited:

Wade

Reaction score

Is there a way to know how much the tailor can let the waist out? I gained some pounds and it was a bit tight before but definitely too tight now
Is 1-1.5 inches standard or is there an actual way to tell

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there a way to know how much the tailor can let the waist out? I gained some pounds and it was a bit tight before but definitely too tight now
Is 1-1.5 inches standard or is there an actual way to tell

You can tell by looking at how much margin there is on the inside.

J011yroger

Reaction score
Which black and white tie would you get first, houndstooth, or shepherd check?

Any reason or just personal preference?

J

J011yroger

Reaction score
+1 it's the British cut, not a soft shouldered American / Italian style. A little shoulder overhang is often a good thing.

It's often the blind leading the blind in this thread...

Because it is difficult to convey tone over the internet, I'd like to say firstly that I am genuinely asking you this, not being argumentative or defensive.

I know it is hard to tell from a picture online, unless there is blatant dimpling, but how do you personally determine the correct amount of overhang? I have always looked for minimal overhang, and have been under the impression that the strong British shoulders were built up, not out, and should still have minimal overhang.

A few of my suits (usually ones I've bought online) have a bit more overhang than I like, and while I don't look bad in them, I perpetually feel that they are like half a size too big.

J

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The vast majority of the British tailors (and RTW) use an extended shoulder, more often than not with slight roping. The British examples I have are cut like that and if it didn't have the padding associated with the British style, you're right, it would look too big. However, it doesn't and serves merely to promote the much sought after "V" shape in tailoring.

I'm very slightly built as I cycle about 250-300km a week. Now I love Italian soft tailoring but one lesson that should be learnt very quickly on this forum by all is that you cannot always wear what you love, you have to wear what suits you and enhances your body shape. If I was wearing a very soft Italian style garment you would see my torso for what it is, i.e. hardly any shoulder mass and not much of a drop between chest and waist. What the British style does for me, however, by extending the shoulders slightly then building up the chest is mask that very well indeed.

I don't personally determine the correct amount of extension, a job best left to others...

A few examples of my own -

Edward Sexton:

Kilgour:

New & Lingwood MTM:

Prorsum:

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which black and white tie would you get first, houndstooth, or shepherd check?

Any reason or just personal preference?

J
I'll bite. As much as I love houndstooth it can be a bit dizzying in black and white and on a tie like that. Personal preference on this one would be shepherd check.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads