1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Still think you're going to regret it. I would only go all patent. IMO, the suede makes it less formal.

2. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

It's not 'in style' now; it's the sort of thing designed for those who want to stand out a bit.

I would recommend sticking with the true classics; something like the Cheaney Kelly (http://www.cheaney.co.uk/collection...ly-black-patent-leather-oxford-dress-shoe-p23) or Shipton's Tamar if you are on a lower budget (http://www.shipton.com/tamar-mens-patent-oxford.html)

[​IMG]

3. JonSmythe

JonSmythe Well-Known Member

Thanks, @SimonC ! Would you recommend that Cheaney shoe over a crockett and jones Overton for the same price?

[​IMG]

4. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

6. FlyingCzechman

FlyingCzechman Member

[​IMG]

A very dumb question, but Im a bit confused with sizes of pretty much all OTR shirts. On the picture is an TMLewin example of a Regular Fit and Super Fitted, there is 18cm different in the waist circumference. there should be 4.5cm at both sides of extra fabric, where the hell is it?

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Maybe gathered up in back, where it can't be seen. Because the photographer/artistic director/marketing manager thought the shirt looked better when presented that way.

8. FranklinMadison

FranklinMadison Member

What are your suggestions for making a pair of shoes, that are probably a size too large, and cannot be returned, work for you? Should I insert a tongue pad? Wear two pairs of socks, or extra-thick socks? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

9. 12345Michael54321

Sell them or donate them to charity. Then buy a pair that fits.

Life is too short to put up with the wrong sized shoes.

2 people like this.
  10. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

This. Although if you are set on keeping them, analyse where they are too large. Insoles reduce depth and therefore overall volume. Heel pads address a heel cup that is too large, and tongue pads a shoe which has a lasted instep higher than your foot.

11. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Is there really such a thing as a bespoke fused canvas suit?? If so is this a warning sign to avoid that tailor?

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Fusing is inferior, but whether you should avoid it or not is your decision. Very often it's a bad tailor overcharging for a bad product, sure, but if it's placed at a reasonable pricerange, and fits well, it can be reasonable.

13. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Another way to look at it - if fused is the only construction technique offered by the tailor then walk away. If they offer a fully bespoke pattern with fused construction as a lower cost option against fully canvassed then it can be a means to dial in your pattern or experiment with fabrics with less sunk cost.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  14. Camilo

Camilo Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am thinking the back side of my pants are too short. You can see the socks show:

[​IMG]

Do you think I should ask to have it lengthened in the back or are socks showing acceptable? I should say this shoe's heel (total heel not just the rubber bottom) seems low.

15. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Thanks for the input. I was under the misunderstanding that fused suiting was a product of factory production line work, and so would never be considered in the repertoire of a a bespoke tailor. I spoke to a local guy who quote $850 as a starting price for a 'tailor made' suit. He said that he had been making the suits himself for 40+ years. When I asked him about canvas construction he said that he used to do it in the old days but now he makes everything with a fused canvas as "that is the way suits are made nowadays".

16. Kimistry

Kimistry Senior member

I'm trying to get a sense for whether my sleeves on the dress shirt are too long. My feeling is that they could be a tad bit shorter. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

17. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

I think the shirt sleeve length is fine. The jacket sleeves look a little short. The tricky thing about evaluating sleeve lengths- both shirt and jacket - is that when you move the sleeves move.

Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

18. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Agreed, sleeve length on the shirt is fine, the jacket may be cut a touch short, but that can be construed as fashion forward (maybe) so I wouldn't worry.

19. 12345Michael54321

I, too, suspect that the shirt sleeve is fine, and the jacket sleeve slightly short. But it's really, really difficult to say anything for sure, based on a snapshot of one's arm stretched out away from the body.

A picture of you standing naturally, with your arms at your sides, would make it much easier to judge these things.

20. Mrlol

Mrlol Senior member

Im looking for trousers with a high waist, little more slim fit then classic to buy for about 100-150 euro/each, can you recommend a label that sources my specific requirements that i can buy in EU?