• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My quick questions:

1. What types/fabrics/styles of long-sleeve shirts are acceptable for the business casual look? I currently have your average polyester/cotton blend shirts in my wardrobe and I need a change for the office. 
  2. Are regular white T-shirts appropriate to wear as an undershirt or should I wear V-necks?
  3. After tucking my long-sleeve shirt in, the front of the shirt folds outward right above the buckle. My shirts are 15 1/2 size and my wool slacks are 34/30. I have ironed the shirts carefully but it still happens this way.   

Have a great Memorial Day! 

1. Depends on what business casual means in your office, it's one of the most meaningless phrases in the english language. It can mean anything from sportcoat and trousers, with or without tie; to "polo with khakis, or maybe jeans if they don't have holes in them". Generally, you're safe with classic choices. Light colors- white, light blue, cream, tan, green, yellow if it suits your complexion, pink if you're comfortable with it. Simple patterns, like college striped oxfords or simple checks will always be safe. Poly/cotton has nothing to do with what's acceptable, color, pattern, and fit are what's important there. But as a matter of quality, you should be looking for 100% cotton.

2. With a tie, yes. Without a tie, no. Your undershirt should not be visible.

3. Sounds like a fit issue.

Last edited:

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3. It could be a couple of things but my guess is the rise of the trousers is too short.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of fashion brands make shoes with what looks like stitching in the soles, but that is cosmetic. I made this mistake some time back when still learning about shoe constructions, and was horrified when my apparently blake-stitched shoes began to separate as the glue degraded! So be careful, especially if the stitching on what looks like a welt is tight - each one about 2mm or less - and the stitching showing under the sole looks about 5mm per stitch. It's probably glued together and just with a "traditional" look. Also, "hand made" means nothing. It's like "home style" or "farmhouse" or "fresh" in the food industry: as there's no common definition of what it means, it doesn't mean anything at all and is often covering for low quality.

The good news is that if something says "blake construction" or "goodyear welted" or "blake rapid construction" (the latter is pretty much as good as goodyear really), it usually is. And you can get those for not much. For example, http://samuelwindsorshoes.co.uk/ sells very cheap (sub $100) shoes, and you could get at least your four pairs for under $300. They won't be wonderful, but they will be proper shoes and not fall apart. I bought some suede ones for my 14 year old son (he changes shoe size so often it's not worth spending more!), and they looked quite smart. But I'd suggest going up a notch and getting, say, two pairs for your $300. You can try www.meermin.es (although beware of long waiting times) for the darlings of Styleforum economy. Or, for a better service, same price and just less SF-trendiness, you can get Indian-made shoes by English makers like Loake and Barker for about $150. Try www.herringshoes.co.uk and www.pediwear.co.uk. They both have outstanding service, will answer all your questions happily on fit, delivery etc, and have a wide selection of styles and prices. Really, I have ordered from both and been very happy - with the cheap as well as the more expensive lines. Also, check the clearance lines in your size: you might be lucky and get a big discount off something you like, of even better quality. Both companies always have some items on sale, and Herring in particular is very easy to search for sale items in your size.

Good luck, and let us know what you get!

thank you for elaborate response, I will check them out

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Fashion input please:

I know that most members in Classic tuck their shirts in as a rule, but I was out buying slacks today and found a couple pairs that had very nice cuts, fabric, and fits. As I was trying them on, I couldnt help but notice that they looked good with the polo I was wearing and looked good with some fitted T shirts and button ups.

Has anyone here explored the option of wearing slacks as pants, and not a strictly tucked-shirt option? I thought the look was pretty clean myself, a welcome difference from jeans

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can a wool/linen blend sportscoat be worn in the fall and winter?

If it's too light a color, it'll probably look out of place, and if your fall and winter are actually cold, will probably wear too cool.

The basic rule is that if the weather is appropriate for a garment, you can wear it. So no tweed in summer, or linen in winter. Because one of those things is intended to keep you cooler in hot weather, and the other intended to keep you warm in cool weather.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can a wool/linen blend sportscoat be worn in the fall and winter?

Potentially, sure. But much depends on the precise sportscoat and where you're located. Some wool/linen sportscoats are inherently more seasonally constrained than are others, and November in Phoenix, AZ, can differ from November in International Falls, MN.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fashion input please:

I know that most members in Classic tuck their shirts in as a rule, but I was out buying slacks today and found a couple pairs that had very nice cuts, fabric, and fits. As I was trying them on, I couldnt help but notice that they looked good with the polo I was wearing and looked good with some fitted T shirts and button ups. 

Has anyone here explored the option of wearing slacks as pants, and not a strictly tucked-shirt option? I thought the look was pretty clean myself, a welcome difference from jeans

I tuck in polos and tee shirts too, but yeah, you're free to wear somewhat dressier slacks with more casual shirts. Worsted wool would probably look odd, but a flannel or any sort of rougher fabric would be fine. Personally, the furthest I go with a tee shirt of polo is pressed khakis, but if you like the look, go for it.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's too light a color, it'll probably look out of place, and if your fall and winter are actually cold, will probably wear too cool.

The basic rule is that if the weather is appropriate for a garment, you can wear it. So no tweed in summer, or linen in winter. Because one of those things is intended to keep you cooler in hot weather, and the other intended to keep you warm in cool weather.
The coat is the blue one on the right.its 47% wool 53% linen

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then you'll probably be fine until you want something warmer.

Last edited:

Danzel

Reaction score
any ideas to my Q:
can't imagine a look with a scarf (semi flax, semi cotton, white polka dot on navy blue plain)
could you recommend or point to pics?

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

guys, can't imagine an outfit with a scarf (semi flax, semi cotton, white polka dot on navy blue plain)
could you recommend or point to pics?

White polka dot on blue - http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2013/05/spring-scarves.html

It took me about 10 seconds to find this one. I'm sure that if you were to devote a few minutes of effort to the task, you could come up with numerous other examples.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Given that it's charcoal, worsted, and has standard buttons, it's probably orphaned.

gravitas1

Reaction score
Can someone please point out the differences of English, Italian and American shoes? Does one usually have thicker soles than the other? Pointier as opposed to a rounder toe? Thanks...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads