• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dpyram

Reaction score
(Just created my account and (surprise surprise) I'm immediately posting a question. This seems the least annoying place for it - though let me know if there's a more appropriate thread, or if starting a new thread would be acceptable.)

Is anyone able to recommend UK retailers for British-made, goodyear welted, classic design (esp. oxford-style) shoes under £100? I realise £100 is a very limited budget in this market, but what are my best options at this price point?

I'm essentially a 'beginner' at shoes (not that I have been barefooted for the last couple of decades), and struggling to work out what would be a good go-to option. Also struggling to find the middle ground between the ultra-cheap (for example, samuel-windsor.co.uk) and the more desirable, £200+ shoes that I can't quite afford at the moment. I assume there is a middle ground, and that some of its brands should be avoided like the plague, while others make shoes of at least acceptable quality.

At the moment, I am not open to buying second hand or internationally, as I suspect I might need to return a few pairs whilst I work out exactly what my tastes are...

Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Scroll back to my last reply. Samuel Windsor is amazingly cheap, but yeah, you get what you pay for. That said, if your budget is limited and you need a couple of pairs to start, then get the more conservative styles and they won't look amiss.

But the others I suggested can get you close to £100, and below it with clearance items. Loake's "L1" range, for example, are made in India, but the same last shapes and upper leathers as their more expensive counterparts. I have a suede pair that I like very much. I also have far better shoes that I've had half price from Herring for just over £125, so it's worth keeping an eye on these sites for what might be on clearance in your size. I've personally had very good customer service from Herring and Pediwear.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advice on where to get quality cardigans for around $160? Howard Yount is MIA and doesn't have my size. Just need to pick up one or two in a little while, as I think they look pretty good under sports coats/blazers and are a nice alternative to a thicker jacket.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Are scratched up belt buckles OK? I have a few nice belts that have held up really well but the buckles are all scratched up. Does this look bad or can it "add character" to the belt? I'm really not sure. I know with watches, some people keep their scratches because they start to like them. Can this apply to buckles as well?

I know it's a weird question.... :)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are scratched up belt buckles OK?

It could be nice to have one or two belt buckles which aren't scratched, for occasions when a certain elegance of dress might be desired.

But that having been said, signs of honest wear are usually fine. Signs of abuse, decay, neglect, etc., are to be avoided.

Similar general rules could be applied to various other articles of clothing and accessories - including wristwatches, which you noted. And even extended to things like automobiles, boats, furniture, houses, etc., where some hold that certain signs of age and use can actually be preferable to the new and pristine.

Ultimately, it comes down to what your particular style is. And, of course, where you personally choose to draw the line between an item "having a history and exhibiting character" and being "a broken down piece of junk."

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are scratched up belt buckles OK?  I have a few nice belts that have held up really well but the buckles are all scratched up.  Does this look bad or can it "add character" to the belt?  I'm really not sure.  I know with watches, some people keep their scratches because they start to like them.  Can this apply to buckles as well? 

I know it's a weird question....   :) 

The line between character and seediness is fine indeed and certainly not one that can easily be drawn on an internet forum

aglose

Reaction score
business casual with a white shirt, is a dark sage green tie acceptable? or would some other color be better?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

business casual with a white shirt, is a dark sage green tie acceptable? or would some other color be better?

First, will you be wearing a jacket, too? Because wearing a tie without a jacket (or at least a sweater, in season) is just not all that good a look.

As for the tie color, dark sage green sounds fine. Green is currently a trendy tie color (a cyclical fashion thing), although I was occasionally wearing dark green ties back when they weren't "in," and I imagine I'll still wear them now and then even once they've gone "out." And I'm certainly not alone in this.

There are occasions where I think there are better tie colors than dark sage green, but for business casual wear I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with the color. Nor is a white shirt in any way incompatible with a dark sage green tie.

JJ Gittes

Reaction score
I purchased two made-to-order BB "suiting essential" (SE) suits in solid navy and charcoal with the Regent fit. Because of a last minute change in internship plans and a limited budget, I couldn't buy the 1818 line for suits.

I'll have enough money this winter to buy two 1818 suits, should I get solid navy and charcoal again or different colors and/or patterns? Also, will a Fitzgerald or Milano cut be timeless and appropriate for courts and law firms like the Madison or Regent fit?

Btw, I'm 1L law student in Texas building a professional wardrobe from scratch. I plan to wear these four suits (and a few more that I buy) for several years.

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Advice on where to get quality cardigans for around $160? Howard Yount is MIA and doesn't have my size. Just need to pick up one or two in a little while, as I think they look pretty good under sports coats/blazers and are a nice alternative to a thicker jacket.
Bump

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
JJ,

I don't know anything about those suits, but I'd say two things: if you're going to look professional, having skinny low-rise trousers and a short, close-fitting jacket, is not the way. So whatever suits you're buying, of course you want shape and structure, but don't get anything shiny, tight or too Ryan Gosling. Give yourself a nice manly shaped silhouette, but make sure you've room to sit, walk and generally move around with absolute freedom. You don't have to wear a sack, but you don't want to look like Justin Bieber either. Even in the gilded halls of the WAYWRN thread, there are many suits that are just too short and tight to look like proper business attire. I'm hoping the suits you have fit you well.

The second thing: as for colours, you've two great staples in a solid blue and a solid charcoal. If you can't wear them for the reasons above, then by all means go again with those two colours - the perfect universal suit options. But assuming your existing suits are fine, I'd say add a navy chalk stripe, and a lighter grey pinstripe. Very business, always stylish, and different enough from your existing options.

Jester,

Cardigans and the like come from Marks and Spencer, and you'll get two or three for that.

Alternatively, ask in Streetwear and Denim. They love their knitwear.

Danzel

Reaction score
who already owns one of these, please advice which size stands for mine, real UK 8
some people say, that Timberland comes tight and you should order from half to one size up, some people say they are true-to-size
want to wear them without or very thin socks

Danzel

Reaction score
White polka dot on blue - http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2013/05/spring-scarves.html

It took me about 10 seconds to find this one. I'm sure that if you were to devote a few minutes of effort to the task, you could come up with numerous other examples.

Thank you.
Among tonns of pics found by google, it is hard to determine what is acceptable/correct, and what is amateur's unsuccessful fantasy. if only I could know, i wouldn't ask here. But most of questions asked here, can be answered by the same google, and it will took 10 seconds (as you said), but people, nevertheless, ask questions here. Why? Because, here we can find experienced people, and they can point you correct direction. That what forum is for, right? Pics in the internet (by themselves) can not do this.

No offence, ty again

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics