1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Trust your tailor.

2. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Is there a specific name for a windowpane pattern where the horizontal, and vertical stripes are different colours?

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Are the older cole haan benchmade in england shoes made by C&J?

Does anyone know how they fit relative to the CH's of today? I found a pair of them that I really liked for sale, but I'm not sure about sizing. I wear an 8.5 in most cole haan's i own, but should probably size down in dress shoes.

Thanks.

4. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I've heard that Green made some, and I've seen some attributed to Cheaney, but beyond that I really don't know.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Lovat? What fabric are you on about?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The best ones I've had have been lined with cotton sparingly to above the knee. Anything heavier just defeats the purpose of linen.

1 person likes this.
  7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I have a tweed with brown/blue windowpane. Horizontal lines are brown, vertical ones are blue. Light brown herringbone on the whole.

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Not really a name for the overcheck then. Once you get bogged down naming tweed patterns it's all semantics anyway.

9. Bill Chung

Bill Chung New Member

I foolishly tried neatsfoot oil on my dress shoes and now I've got greasy shoes that I can't raise a shine on. It's been over 24 hours and I they are still in a poor state. Any suggestions as to how to dry them out?

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Ah yes, they're probably cheaney. Comments on quality slash sizing? I really wanted to grab them earlier but didn't know sizing well enough.

11. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

List them on eBay, as having a bespoke neatsfoot finish, and suggest that this significantly enhances their uniqueness and value.

Take the money you'll make from selling them, and use it to buy yourself a new pair of dress shoes. Problem solved.

12. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Nah, no idea whatsoever.

13. Olimar

Olimar Member

Are you able to wear chambray dress pants with a cotton Jacket? Im sort of assuming its the same idea as wool/flannel pants with a cotton jacket. I have a navy Jacket that Im planning on pairing with a pair of gray chambray pants for summer.

14. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Is there much (or any) difference in plain coloured grenadine ties between mto tie makers? I think I have read somewhere that all grenadine's come from the same Italian weavers.
    If so is there any significant difference between ordering a staple grenadine from different MTO services?

ie. I'm comparing Sam Hober, Vanda and Passaggio Cravatte. I need a long wide tie so I don't like regular off the racks.

Will all 3 of these makers be sourcing identical grenadine fabrics from the same mills? Also Passaggio seems to specialize in vintage fabrics. would they just be old runs of the same weave from the same mill?

15. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

So I picked up this jacket because I love luciano Barbera CS and it was on a super discounted price but now I'm stuck on what to pair it with, I can't seem to get it right.

What would you pair it with for pants and shoes? I'm thinking maybe light blues for shirting options.
    [​IMG]

16. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

My first choice would indeed be light blue shirt. Probably paired with some sort of light to med. brown trousers. Then again, I am quite the noob when it comes to pairing clothes. I'm guessing navy/dark blue trousers would also work well here. But then I would have a (off) white shirt instead of the light blue one.

17. ondane

ondane New Member

First post on these forums, hope this is the right place to ask.

I'm 6'3", 170 lbs looking for advice on business tie length and width. My collar is about 16", do I need extra long ties (62") or would standard length (57") be fine? Also it seems that 3" is a good standard for business ties these days, is this correct?

FWIW I've never had a problem wearing standard length ties but the back is often quite short.

18. 12345Michael54321

3" is a little narrower than I prefer, although it's not necessarily unacceptable for business. To a great extent it comes down to your build, the cut of your jacket, the nature of the tie, and your personal preferences. But I wouldn't advise going much narrower than 3", and if you wanted to go slightly wider, it would be unlikely to work against you.

Whatever you do, ignore those people who know a few basic facts about neckties, but who understand little of the rationale behind those facts. They're likely to tell you to match your tie width to your jacket's lapel width. This is sort of incorrect. While one should usually try to match a narrow lapel to a narrow tie, and a wide lapel to a wide tie, there is absolutely no requirement for an exact and precise match. Simply try (usually) to keep the two in the same general ballpark; a precise match (ie. "My lapels are 2.25" wide, so I'd be better off wearing my 2.25" wide tie, and not my 2.5" tie...") is not any better than a general match. You don't get extra points for the two being as nearly identical as possible in width.

If you haven't any problem with standard length ties, then you can wear standard length ties. If the back is shorter than you'd like, feel free to buy longer ties, so the back will be longer. Or, if the shirt collar and your personal taste support it, try a different type of knot.

At 6'3", 170 lbs., with a 16" collar, I wouldn't be surprised if you were better off with a 63" tie. On the other hand, neither would I be shocked if a 57" tie were fine. What it comes down to is, you've got to put on a tie, and ask yourself whether you'd like it better if it were a little longer.

This isn't rocket science, ondane. (Although a friend of mine who is a rocket scientist tells me that even rocket science isn't rocket science anymore.)

19. ondane

ondane New Member

Thanks, I'm just starting to put together a proper business wardrobe and ordering things online means I like to double and triple check (and all the often contradictory advice can leave one paralysed). I've ordered a MTM suit from Kent Wang and might throw in some other basics too, it seems his shoes and ties have found favour on this forum so I might just consolidate and save on shipping costs.

20. 12345Michael54321

I've got nothing against Kent Wang ties, but aren't they around the same price as Sam Hober ties?

I ask, as Hober will happily sell you whatever length tie you want. If 57" is a little short, but 63" is slightly longer than you'd like, you could get something in between in length. (Various other factors can also be customized, but since you don't seem to be a necktie expert, I'd recommend seeking out Mr. Hober's advice, before departing too far from the default.)

Just suggesting that it might be something worth considering, is all.

I have no experience with Kent Wang shoes, so I can't comment on whether they're worth buying.