1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Unfinished sleeves, unlike unfinished trousers, are not left with a raw end that needs turning up, they just don't have the buttons and buttonholes sewn on. If you wanted you could just leave it at 26.25" and have them sewn on; there should be no problem shortening to 26" first.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. mechanicalmatt

mechanicalmatt Member

I'm having a hell of a time finding staple suits. Specifically a medium-slightly on the lighter side navy. I'm not in any rush and not opposed to second hand, so I've been cruising ebay for fully canvassed stuff. But I'm a 40L with a 33-34" waist and 35-36" inseam. I have yet to find a single match, since it seems like everything used is hemmed much closer to 30". I found the Benjamin suits on eHaberdasher that look great, but I look much better in mid-lighter navy than the really dark stuff that they have. Any other options I should know about or should I just keep plugging away on ebay and hope that something comes up? I'm trying to keep things in the sub $700 range.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Have you checked suit supply? I'm pretty sure BB also has sales that get some of their stuff into that price range a few times a year.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Suitsupply, or something along those lines? Hell, Brooks during one of their regular sales. $700 is a pretty healthy budget, and buying half canvas new would probably make sense for you. Staple suits are pretty hard to find on the secondhand market- everybody keeps them until they wear out, because they're staples.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Or they outgrow them because of weight gain or loss or whatnot. It's not uncommon to find them. You just have to be patient.

6. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

There's no substitute for going to a store that has loads of suits and just trying on a bunch.

7. vafan13

vafan13 Active Member

Thank you =)

8. abl

abl Well-Known Member

Thoughts about Suit Supply vs. Thick as Thieves? They seem to occupy a similar place in the market re price and quality.

9. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Had to look that one up. Their website is horrible. I have no experience in their workmanship. There seems to be plenty of reading out there for that though. http://www.styleforum.net/t/27754/thick-as-thieves-online

10. bbhues

bbhues Well-Known Member

Cocktail attire for a summer wedding in Greece... Linen suit? Would linen trousers and sportcoat work or too casual?

11. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Does the invite stipulate the dress code? Is it in the daytime? A madras jacket might also work.

12. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

13. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Almost certainly not. But only way to be sure is buy them. I wouldn't though.

14. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Ok. Is it the material or the chance that the color may be off?

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Both.

1 person likes this.
  16. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Does anyone know a good resource to learn more about collar construction and methods? I have a few shirts with collar bands and others where the collar and band are one single piece. I'd like to learn what each is called and why the difference. TIA.

17. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A Linen Suit can work really well in the summer, especially if you throw in a colorful linen tie or a madras cotton. Those colors can work really well during spring / summer months. Another alternative that could work but may throw people in Greece off is the Seersucker! Nothing like a well thought out Seersucker suit for a summer wedding, with an animal print motif tie! Feel free to check out a blog post I have written about dressing up for Summer Weddings!

http://www.thedarkknot.com/blogs/suitupdressup/12638853-suit-options-for-a-summer-wedding

18. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I have suits from both. The main difference up front is of course that TaT is MTM and SS is OTR.
    The quality of my TaT suit was surprisingly good for the price but their system is built on an expectation that your first suit is likely to need you to pay your local tailor or seamstress for some tweaking. For me the trousers were just about perfect, the jacket needed some work but fits very well now. If you don't have the patience for all that SS has become very popular on here as it hits the sweet spot between very competitive pricing (as low as $400 for a half canvassed suit) and very decent quality, with a variety of fits and while some of their fabrics are fashion forward there are plenty of more sober business like choices too.

19. adamus

adamus New Member

Whats best lining for white linen pants? I want to wear them with jacket so need them to be quite formal.

20. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

So I tapered the sides of two similar dress shirts at different points in time with my tailor. Both of these are Brooks Brothers shirts. One of them is tapered and sewn inward but the other one, the seam is on the outside. I think aesthetically, the shirt sewn inwards is not as appealing. Are there any structural integrity problems sewn with one way or other other?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]