• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

richiemokkiez

Reaction score
Does anyone have experiences with returns at Harry Rosen? I recently received a pair of Allen Edmonds Sanford as a gift in size 11 which was my usual size. However as most of you know, these shoes tend to size differently. I don't have the receipt for a return anymore but I was wondering if it was possible to take a chance and buy a properly fitted shoe at Harry Rosen as they're the only retailer for AE shoes in the area, and use that receipt to return my other pair as a refund? I know it sounds sketch but the pair I have are mint and I'd hate to have to go through the pains of selling them online for a low price.

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have experiences with returns at Harry Rosen? I recently received a pair of Allen Edmonds Sanford as a gift in size 11 which was my usual size. However as most of you know, these shoes tend to size differently. I don't have the receipt for a return anymore but I was wondering if it was possible to take a chance and buy a properly fitted shoe at Harry Rosen as they're the only retailer for AE shoes in the area, and use that receipt to return my other pair as a refund? I know it sounds sketch but the pair I have are mint and I'd hate to have to go through the pains of selling them online for a low price.

The shoes you have now are bought from Harry Rosen?

JohnnyGalt

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about Joseph Abboud MTM suiting? I know it's not a very SF approved brand, but I have access to this program at wholesale pricing and I have to assume at $3-400 per suit as opposed to $9-1200 retail that there must be some value there. Can anyone confirm/deny? I've researched and it looks like the program is more MTO than MTM and that the jackets are half-canvassed with fabrics from loro piana and zegna mills and made at their factory in Massachusetts. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or can relay an accurate evaluation of the quality.

pnin22

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of Blazers on ebay, usually out of tweed or camel hair fabrics, that have patch pockets with flaps: is this style considered dated, or ugly? Can the flaps be removed? Here's an example:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol, I did. In 1994. Times have changed.

They have indeed...

Not least of which, Columbine happened. I don't think any student could wear a trenchcoat in a high school anymore without getting some odd glances.

Totally aside from that, given the super casual dress at most high schools, I think it would just look way out of place.

Last edited:

Monty L

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here, but have been looking to this site for quite some time for tips on improving my wardrobe. I've got a few interviews for scholarships and study abroad programs coming up and am looking to pick up a grenadine tie or two to go with my outfit. I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on grenadine ties by Turnbull & Asser vs. Drake's. I've found a few in colors that would work and the difference between the brands is about 10 GBP. Any advice on which of these to choose or for any other brands to check out would be greatly appreciated.

-Monty

g-banger

Reaction score
Hi all,

i like to wear slim fitting trousers as i have very slim legs. I purchased these Benjamin Mid Grey trousers the other day online and not sure if i like the fit (as in not slim enough for my liking), what is your opinion on these and should i get them tailored in?

My EP and HY trousers fit slimmer in my opinion.

many thanks

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

grenadine tie
any other brands to check out

Sam Hober.

(He'll probably want to send me 3 or 4 of his Grenadine Grossa ties for my having mentioned him here. But I'd feel funny accepting more than 2. Even if my birthday is coming up in just 3 1/2 more weeks, and it's a big, important birthday.)

(You hear that, Sam Hober? I will not accept more than 2 of your Grenadine Grossa ties. Say, one in navy, and one in charcoal. So don't expect me to also accept a purple one. In 61" length and 3.75" width. Because I'd probably tell you that the third tie is just too much. Unless you really insisted, because I wouldn't want to be rude. I'm serious about this.)

Monty L

Reaction score
I'm a bit familiar with Sam Hober. I was initially turned off by having to choose my own construction as I don't know what would be optimal for a grenadine grossa tie. Assuming cost is no object, What is the best construction option?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sam Hober.

(He'll probably want to send me 3 or 4 of his Grenadine Grossa ties for my having mentioned him here. But I'd feel funny accepting more than 2. Even if my birthday is coming up in just 3 1/2 more weeks, and it's a big, important birthday.)

(You hear that, Sam Hober? I will not accept more than 2 of your Grenadine Grossa ties. Say, one in navy, and one in charcoal. So don't expect me to also accept a purple one. In 61" length and 3.75" width. Because I'd probably tell you that the third tie is just too much. Unless you really insisted, because I wouldn't want to be rude. I'm serious about this.)

I'm not sure how well Sam, David's daughter, makes ties, but you know, they'd certainly be cute.

As far as grenadine, yeah, Hober is the best around. Panta has some very good ones as well, but I'm not sure if they're carrying any at the moment.

I'm a bit familiar with Sam Hober. I was initially turned off by having to choose my own construction as I don't know what would be optimal for a grenadine grossa tie. Assuming cost is no object, What is the best construction option?
One of the awesome things about dealing with David is that he's super communicative. He'll give you all the advice you need willingly. With my grenadine grossas, I had 55 inches (a bit shorter since they're best tied with a FIH instead of a half-winsdor), 3.6 inches and regular wool lining.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the best construction option?

It depends.

What's best for one person, and for one type of tie, may not be best for the next person or for a different type of tie.

If you lack sufficient understanding to determine, based on your specific needs and likes, which construction options are best for you, then I'd suggest you either (1) devote time and effort to educating yourself on matters both subtle and gross of necktie construction; or (2) choose the tie you like, and accept the "default" options, deviating - if at all - only after consultation with the tie maker, and only in pretty obvious ways (like specifying several inches extra tie length, if a standard length necktie is clearly too short for you).

In most cases, option #2 is both easier, and will yield a superior tie. ("Superior," because unless you really know what you're doing, a multitude of opportunities to choose "options" tends to become a multitude of opportunities to screw up.)

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Regardless, go to Hober. I ordered one with all the default options and then used that as a basis for further experimentation (length, width, lining, etc). That's one option that you simply will not have with any other company.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads