• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartoria Corcos Consolidated Thread

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you only tried Solito and Dalcuore, yea Kotaro will have more extension lol.
Zizolfi has just as much extension as Kotaro, and with a stronger shoulder.
Yeah, I can only comment on what I’ve experienced. Kotaro has more extension than b&tailor too.

Does kotaro have less extension than qemal?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I echo the sentiment that Kotaro has an extended shoulder with slight padding compared to any of the Neapolitan tailors I’ve used (which were not extended and had no padding.) Additionally, his jackets are a bit longer and his jackets are more relaxed in the chest compared to them. I’m not sure if this constitutes as “drape”. All of these are benefits IMHO.

I remember the obsession with ZERO shoulder padding and ZERO shoulder extension Styleforum had back in the day, along with Fresco (“hangs like STEEL!”) and spalla camicia, none of which are my preference.

Last edited:

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m wearing one of his suits today. Maybe padding is the wrong word, but there is a thin layer of *something* in the shoulder. It’s one level above a Neapolitan shoulder. It’s minimal, I agree. Not as much as my Hitchcock suits of yore. Just like his extension (on me) is minimal but present.

Torsion

Reaction score
What do you mean extended shoulder or padding (see pic)? 😂
Sorry just in that kind of mood.
Kotaro definitely puts a thin layer of something it seems, like @tim_horton said I wouldn't call it padding and I don't believe the maestro called it that when he was describing the jacket to me the other week.

Screenshot_20231128-140714.png

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, take what I say with a grain of salt because I am probably using the wrong terminology. It may be better to say it is not a deconstructed shoulder - you can't see the curve of your deltoid or outline of your clavice, but it isn't full on padding either. Similarly, when I say extended shoulder, it's minimally so - just enough to clear the curve of the shoulder.

I will defer to other people who can describe it better using more accurate terminology. I consider it a soft shoulder but if someone is a Neapolitan fanatic they might disagree.

I find the shoulder similar to what I remember Liverano being, but that may be bias on my part knowing that they work in the same region in Italy.

I do prefer Kotaro to Liverano, personally.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt Kotaro uses any padding... Unless you have crazy dropped shoulder on one side.
I’m wearing one of his suits today. Maybe padding is the wrong word, but there is a thin layer of *something* in the shoulder. It’s one level above a Neapolitan shoulder. It’s minimal, I agree. Not as much as my Hitchcock suits of yore. Just like his extension (on me) is minimal but present.

I think you’re both right actually. On my latest order, kotaro suggested a slight pad (not Hitchcock pad mind you) because the suit was a solid navy and 450grams. I think kotaro can add some shoulder when he thinks it’d look better.

When I was having a suit made by satoki, he asked if I wanted a shoulder pad. I left it up to him & he chose not to have it. Point is, some tailors have a little range on adding / subtracting pads depending on the fabric, person, silhouette, etc. I typically leave that up to them.

dawei94

Reaction score
What Kotaro told me a few years ago was that for suit jackets, he likes to do just a bit of padding to make the shoulder line really clean and straight, but that otherwise he prefers unpadded shoulders (though as other people mentioned, it's not entirely unstructured, there's still something in there)

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any volunteers to open up their jacket? In the name of science.

Kotaro thinks I don't need any padding so all my jackets from him have been really soft. Softer than Zizolfi.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any volunteers to open up their jacket? In the name of science.

Kotaro thinks I don't need any padding so all my jackets from him have been really soft. Softer than Zizolfi.
I nominate @Crispyj!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads