• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

alzex

Reaction score
I wear size 8.5 JPs, should I get the same size of John Varvatos cons?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
is shipley and halmos made in the usa? i'm thinking its made in china trying to justify dropping $175+ shipping on a shirt and having made in china stop me XD.
All made in China. Quality is decent, nothing particularly special, but I'd wait for it to hit sales for it to be really worth it, imo

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost a ton of weight over the past year (40 pounds on a small frame), so barely any of my clothes fit me well anymore.

I'm trying to nail down an outwear garment. I don't wear suits often and am 5'6, so shy away from the long, black overcoats one sees everywhere.

I'm eying a Burberry Brit peacoat, but it's made in China and still $800. Ehh. Size small, so fairly shapely, but doesn't scream rich. It's dark navy.

I'm looking at an MMM peacoat, made in Italy, $1350. I can get my size 36, but are peacoats warm enough for Philly/NYC/Chicago weather? Navy.

Lastly, I have my eye on an Moncler Field Jacket. It's fairly straightforward on the outside, but has that trendy internal puffer thing going on, so it doesn't look bulky but is of course warmer than the other two options. It's about $1450, made in Romania, which for some reason I'm much more okay with than China. :D It's black so I wonder if that's less attractive?

Thoughts? I'm in the consulting/advertising industry, so tend to be on the edgy side fashion wise.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I lost a ton of weight over the past year (40 pounds on a small frame), so barely any of my clothes fit me well anymore.
I'm trying to nail down an outwear garment. I don't wear suits often and am 5'6, so shy away from the long, black overcoats one sees everywhere.
I'm eying a Burberry Brit peacoat, but it's made in China and still $800. Ehh. Size small, so fairly shapely, but doesn't scream rich. It's dark navy.
I'm looking at an MMM peacoat, made in Italy, $1350. I can get my size 36, but are peacoats warm enough for Philly/NYC/Chicago weather? Navy.
Lastly, I have my eye on an Moncler Field Jacket. It's fairly straightforward on the outside, but has that trendy internal puffer thing going on, so it doesn't look bulky but is of course warmer than the other two options. It's about $1450, made in Romania, which for some reason I'm much more okay with than China. :D It's black so I wonder if that's less attractive?
Thoughts? I'm in the consulting/advertising industry, so tend to be on the edgy side fashion wise.

Look at Krane.

alzex

Reaction score
What boot can i get for ~150 that's good for walking around if it snows/freezing rains in nyc?

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Bean Boots. Don't look great, but they will keep you dry and have great traction.

NormanF

Reaction score
What boot can i get for ~150 that's good for walking around if it snows/freezing rains in nyc?

There isn't as as good a boot for slippery surfaces as the Bestard Crossover. You can read about it on the Winter Boots thread.

oxx

Reaction score
Can anyone ID this sweater that LL Cool J wore on Conan a couple days ago? I only found a couple of tiny pictures so the video might be easier to see.

Video link here.

Reaction score
If I'm a 43 in CP's typically 10.5D would that translate to a 43 in MMM GATS?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I recently order a pair of pants from Gant. The item received wasn't as described, not drastically different but it was still clearly not the same. They expect me to pay return shipping, and it was like pulling teeth just to get them to agree to pay the initial shipping to me. Anything else I can do about this? Considering placing a charge back on my CC (which I have never done before).

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I recently order a pair of pants from Gant. The item received wasn't as described, not drastically different but it was still clearly not the same. They expect me to pay return shipping, and it was like pulling teeth just to get them to agree to pay the initial shipping to me. Anything else I can do about this? Considering placing a charge back on my CC (which I have never done before).

Send them a screenshot of this page; also politely mention you have a style blog, tumblr, etc. with many followers, and you would like to first give them the opportunity to make things right (because you don't want to be rash and post something that will cost them a lot more than shipping). It couldn't hurt.

Last edited:

strangerjames

Reaction score
I'm buying a peacoat from Schott (DU753) with a "leather under collar trim" in oxford grey.
Would it look weird to pop the collar?
I just noticed how big the collar is, too.

A pic of the peacoat:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads