• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hi etruscan.

first, figure out your resting metabolic rate before trying to figure out any peoposed deficit.

edit: perhaps you did. but why add if you're looking to lose. i have been steadily increasing my deficit in order to look even more awesome.

edit 2: sell me your size 52 stuff.

the etruscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
hi etruscan. first, figure out your resting metabolic rate before trying to figure out any peoposed deficit. edit: perhaps you did. but why add if you're looking to lose. i have been steadily increasing my deficit in order to look even more awesome. edit 2: sell me your size 52 stuff.
I'm not sure if I have. My baseline for caloric burn (i.e. gain/lose no weight at all) is right around 2600 kcals a day. Err, I added that I'm looking to lose because I'm not sure how to adjust caloric intake to deal with significant exercise. If all goes according to plan, I'll have some size 52 trousers for you in about 3 months. When I was super-emaciated I was still a 50-52. With my shoulders I'm never gonna wear smaller tops.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^****, i need size 50 pants now.

if it helps, try the free version of fitday.com

has been a big help in so far as adding and counting calories, figuring out your rmr and logging your diet and activities. it's hard to cheat it, so IMO it's better than writing in a journal and forgetting about that packet of sugar or catsup or whatever.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the etruscan
I'm not sure if I have. My baseline for caloric burn (i.e. gain/lose no weight at all) is right around 2600 kcals a day.

No it's not unless you're a 300lb. construction worker.

the etruscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
No it's not unless you're a 300lb. construction worker.
Errr, ok. Can you help me out then? I've kept a food diary since January. When I don't exercise and eat between 2500 and 2700 calories a day, my weight doesn't change. I was assuming this meant that my baseline was in that range. What am I figuring wrong, and what is a better way to figure out my baseline?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the distinction Why is making is that baseline would be your resting metabolic rate, which would not factor in any activity. But then again he referenced the subject's occupation so who knows?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Errr, ok. Can you help me out then?

I've kept a food diary since January. When I don't exercise and eat between 2500 and 2700 calories a day, my weight doesn't change. I was assuming this meant that my baseline was in that range. What am I figuring wrong, and what is a better way to figure out my baseline?

Use this: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Some of the online calculators are trash, this one seems to give reasonable estimates. The Base Metabolic Rate of most normal sized people will be below 2000 kcal. As an example, even A thirty year old thats 5'10" - 250lb is at about 1930 kcal.

the etruscan

Reaction score
So, my BMR according to that is 2180. Which, puts me right about at 2500-2600 without exercise from the fact that I don't lie in bed all day, right? Or am I reading it wrong?

Edit: Either way, though, the real question I had was:

Let's assume I need to consume 1950 (or X if you prefer) calories every day to accomplish my goals if I don't exercise.

If I burn 1500 (or Y if you prefer) calories through exercise one day, do I need to consume 1900+1500 = 3400 (or X+Y if you prefer) calories on that day to stay on pace for accomplishing my goal, or less than that?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if it helps as a frame of reference, i've been running an 600/day caloric deficit and losing roughly 2.25 pounds per week.

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
So heres my question.

I have a trainer but I'm not working out with him cause he's only able to work on a monday - friday sorta deal and im working over night those days. I can pretty much do what he do , or does on my own.

My question for you is as far as weight loss and saggy skin. My biggest fear is losing weight and having saggy skin. I would just rather be fat then have that. My good friend is a trainer and hes like im young *23* i shouldnt have that issue.. so how can i ensure with weight loss i dont have that issue

secondly the diet aspect of weight loss. Im a vegetarian i dont eat meat so im trying to find other sources for protein im told to many eggs are not good for you. so what should i do about that im losing a considerable amount with my current diet

2 eggs, boiled or scrambled
fruit *i apple hand full of grapes*
or a bagle with cream cheese *fat free* with a banana
or high fiber oatmeal and fruit

lunch is 2 boiled eggs
salad, cucumbers onions carrots
fruit *orange or grapefruit*

snack is always some sort of fruit

dinner is
just fruit....

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my BMR according to that is 2180. Which, puts me right about at 2500-2600 without exercise from the fact that I don't lie in bed all day, right? Or am I reading it wrong?

Edit: Either way, though, the real question I had was:

Let's assume I need to consume 1950 (or X if you prefer) calories every day to accomplish my goals if I don't exercise.

If I burn 1500 (or Y if you prefer) calories through exercise one day, do I need to consume 1900+1500 = 3400 (or X+Y if you prefer) calories on that day to stay on pace for accomplishing my goal, or less than that?

Simple answer is less than that. As an example, you have a base BMR of X and have an extra expenditure of Y; lets say X = 1900 and Y = 600. So your total caloric needs for maintenance is 2500... In order to lose weight you must be under this intake requirement.

As Kunk said, he can maintain a deficit of 600 kcal and lose weight (and in his case maintain most muscle). But things are different for different people, if I were to go on a 600 kcal deficit I would lose a lot of muscle and have very little energy. The bigger the person is and the greater amount of muscle they have usually it stands that they can have a bigger caloric deficit. But this can be tricky for a lot of people because maintaining that strict of a diet is tough and people tend to lose it after a while.

IIRC I saw that the contestants on the tv show The Biggest Loser had diets under 2k kcal, which for a 300+ lb person is absurd but doable. Granted they were trying to win a million dollars and were under constant supervision, but it is possible to really go negative on the calories. I would recommend trying to find a happy medium between 300-500kcal deficit that you can really maintain and moniter your progress. It does not take long to get into a groove and it eventually becomes a way of life to eat healthier. You don't have to eat less, you just have to be smarter about what you eat.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheRealAshland
So heres my question.

I have a trainer but I'm not working out with him cause he's only able to work on a monday - friday sorta deal and im working over night those days. I can pretty much do what he do , or does on my own.

My question for you is as far as weight loss and saggy skin. My biggest fear is losing weight and having saggy skin. I would just rather be fat then have that. My good friend is a trainer and hes like im young *23* i shouldnt have that issue.. so how can i ensure with weight loss i dont have that issue

secondly the diet aspect of weight loss. Im a vegetarian i dont eat meat so im trying to find other sources for protein im told to many eggs are not good for you. so what should i do about that im losing a considerable amount with my current diet

2 eggs, boiled or scrambled
fruit *i apple hand full of grapes*
or a bagle with cream cheese *fat free* with a banana
or high fiber oatmeal and fruit

lunch is 2 boiled eggs
salad, cucumbers onions carrots
fruit *orange or grapefruit*

snack is always some sort of fruit

dinner is
just fruit....

to get the saggy skin you are talking about i believe you need to loose a massive amount of weight in a very short time (ie gastric bypass surgery). The skin is very elastic and if you are planning on doing just diet and exercise I dont really think droopy skin will be a problem for you, that is unless you are massivley overweight,... I also think the only way to get rid of droopy skin is via surgery with a plastic surgeon.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know who started the nonsense about eggs being terrible for you. They're relatively low in calories, have a lot of protein, got the vitamins and essential amino acids, and the cholesterol issues are way overblown. They're pretty much perfect as a food source.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had read somewhere that one can do push ups on off days without worrying about over training. Is this true? And if so, what other exercises can I do without worry? I'm hoping pull ups are ok, too. Medicine ball warm ups?

Running 5k two days in a row apparently isn't very good for me, or it wasn't last Monday and Tuesday. It's taken me days and days to fully recover. Is that something I can defeat? I would hope so. I'm 5'9 130, it's not like I'm killing myself on these runs.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I had read somewhere that one can do push ups on off days without worrying about over training. Is this true? And if so, what other exercises can I do without worry? I'm hoping pull ups are ok, too. Medicine ball warm ups?

Running 5k two days in a row apparently isn't very good for me, or it wasn't last Monday and Tuesday. It's taken me days and days to fully recover. Is that something I can defeat? I would hope so. I'm 5'9 130, it's not like I'm killing myself on these runs.

What is your training plan? Why don't you just incorporate chest work into that?

Just build up to running consecutive 5ks. It's less than 7 miles in two days. You'll be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads