• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

Peon

Reaction score
Isnt grapefruit the ****?
why being guilty over half a grapefruit?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sugar

Peon

Reaction score
It's non processed sugar, plus by eating the whole grapefruit (seeds and a little bit of the skin) you getting some natural substance who is preventing insulin spike...
So really grapefruit is no biggie.

That's my opinion and that's how i used to do it when i was really into this thing...But please let's discuss may be im wrong.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peon
It's non processed sugar, plus by eating the whole grapefruit (seeds and a little bit of the skin) you getting some natural substance who is preventing insulin spike...
So really grapefruit is no biggie.

That's my opinion and that's how i used to do it when i was really into this thing...But please let's discuss may be im wrong.

While unprocessed sugar is of course the better alternative to processed sugar, it remains that too much sugar is still too much sugar. Half a grape fruit after a pseudo-workout or late in the day is a no go for me.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So your advise would be to not even do running as a cardio? Should i prefer rowing for example over running if i want to destroy muscle in the thighs?
No, any volume of work will maintain muscle. If anything running will keep your thighs bigger and -- with reduced calorie intake -- shrink your upper body.

Peon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
No, any volume of work will maintain muscle. If anything running will keep your thighs bigger and -- with reduced calorie intake -- shrink your upper body.

Ok... so which kind of cardio i should be doing?
I just cant sit here and not doing nothing, not even cardio

bowlhead99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I'll get some good ribbing for this maybe, but honest questions.

How do I tell the difference between a love handle and a muscle?

How do I determine my body fat percentage?

If you can tense it, it's probably a muscle, if not, its probably just flab. Do your sides look like a fitness model's?

There are 3 main ways to do a bf test:
- use calipers to see how much flab you can pinch from key points on your body. There are several different ways of doing it, which Google will find for you (and the formulae to get your BF from the numbers you come up with will differ from method to method; for the better ones you might need someone else to help you)

- one of those scales or machines that passes a current through your feet (and hands, depending on the model) to guess what your body is made of

- a test where you get immersed in water, not very easy to do yourself in the home.

The ones you can do yourself will probably not give you a perfectly exact percentage, but it's unlikely you actually need your exact number. But if you do the test the same way at the same time of day over a period, you will see whether you are trending in the right direction, which is the important thing

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I thought it's a good thing to have sugar right after a big work out to boost Glycogen? Please discuss if I'm completely off base here. I also wanted to post some daily eating of mine that is open for criticism by anyone. 8:00am Breakfast: Protein Shake:1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop ON Pro complex (30g protein), small amount of oatmeal, small dollop of natural peanut butter, couple pieces of ice, (sometimes I add half of a banana or 2-3 strawberries) 1 egg cooked on a pan with 1 piece of whole grain toast. 10:30am snack: 1 scoop On Pro Complex (30g protein), with 1 cup of water. And a handful of natural almonds. 12:30pm lunch: Sandwich - 4 pieces of smoked deli cut smoked turkey and 5 pieces of deli cut chicken (not pre-packaged). 1 slice of low fat swiss cheese, a little bit of spicy mustard, (I often add some spring mix lettuce in my sandwich as well) One hard boiled egg. Possibly some almonds if I'm still hungry. 3:30pm snack: 1 hardboiled egg (I don't eat the yolk). Some almonds. 6:00pm pre-workout: 1 scoop of On Pro complex (30g protein) and 1 cup of water. 7:45pm post workout: Immediately after workout I have a couple of honey/cinnamon glazed pecans. Followed by 1 scoop of ON pro complex (30g protein) with water. 8:30 dinner: This can obviously vary, but usually it involves 1 chicken breast, and a bunch of veggies. Sometimes I make chicken fajitas which have 1 green pepper, 1/2 of an onion, 1 jalapeño, 1 avocado. Sometimes I make a chicken breast and a whole bunch of broccoli. Sometimes I make a chicken breast and a bunch of garlic mashed sweet potato. 10:30pm bed time snack: a couple of almonds possibly a little bit of natural peanut butter (maybe 1/2 tbsp) Through the whole day I drink at minimum a gallon of water.

Peon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
I thought it's a good thing to have sugar right after a big work out to boost Glycogen? Please discuss if I'm completely off base here.

It's ok you got like an hour and half after a good workout if you are on bulking it's ok...

danilo

Reaction score
It's ok you got like an hour and half after a good workout if you are on bulking it's ok...

So if you're cutting down it's probably not the best?

m_wave

Reaction score
Doesn't really look like you are bulking on that diet..

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
I thought it's a good thing to have sugar right after a big work out to boost Glycogen?
And that ultimately leads to what?

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
Doesn't really look like you are bulking on that diet..
I'm not really trying to bulk. I already have trouble fitting into some of my clothes as it is (because of shoulders, chest, and back)... I'm short so if I get too big it just makes me look shorter. I'm just trying to retain my muscle and eliminate as much body fat as possible, not sure if that's the proper way of saying it. I'm about 5'7 155-160lbs (haven't weighed in long time), 38" chest, 48"over-arm, 30" waist.

the etruscan

Reaction score
Random question, hopefully not entirely marsupialed.

I'm trying to lose weight. I can do ok with estimating calories if I just diet, but I dislike not being active. So, if I'm trying to lose 2 pounds a week and I'm completely sedentary, my daily calorie target is around 1950 Kcals.

Most days I get between about 500 kcals and 1800 kcals of additional exertion. (This is based off a polar HRM while bicycling, the garmin one goes crazy, tells me I'm burning like 800-2800, it's stupid though) My weight lifting is pansyass enough I'm assuming it's non-caloric. Should I be adding that to my caloric intake each day, or should I add some fraction thereof (i.e. I burn an additional 500 kcals, I eat an additional .8x500 kcals)?

Thanks much

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads