• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right,
So based on a PM from our friend spiffy, I went to his myspace page (perhaps this is a ploy to boost his numbers on there, who knows or cares).
I got the distinct impression this lad is looking for some identity.
I am not going into the whole racial indentity issue that is obviously at play here.
But, I sense he is likely good at what he does in the niche he is involved in. With that said, he obviously doesnt look like those he spends time with. Hence, he is split in the middle. Is he reaching out to us to influence some?
Now, what objective an character like this is trying to achieve here is something only he can answer.
Mr. Spiffy's presence and activities is like begging Itzahk Pearlman to teach him to play the violin, and once given the chance refuses to pick up the fiddle but begs him to teach how to break dance....

MR SPIFFY< WE DONT GET IT.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't think this is fair. I know nothing of Spiff's motivations, but I think the forum would be better off if more people posted pictures, even if others hate their style.
+1 I applaud your willingness to put yourself out there. I was frankly a little horrified by the outfit choices. I was left with a question in my mind: What are your trying to achieve with your outfits? If you could sum-up your "look" in a sentence or a few words, what would that be? For example, my own sense of style is influenced by "minimalism;" I try to put together ensembles that are elegant, with clean lines and subtle use of textures, colours and patterns. I'm curious about what goes through your mind when you choose pieces or put together outfits. This is meant as any kind of snarky criticism or hidden attack; I'm genuinely curious.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread is why there is a TV show called &quot;What Not to Wear&quot;

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, boo, stealing my thunder to school people on geography. maybe i should say something else equally *controversial*, like "1 + 1 = 2"
laugh.gif
and FTR - fresh water sandy beaches > salt water sandy beaches (no smells!)

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't ever promise us anything again. Please just go away.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I'm worried someone on SuFu is going to create a styleforum thread like the hypebeast one. I think at the end of the day, all that matters is whether you can get some pink with this. If you can get pink, you're doing good. Quality pink too...none of that messed up roast beef looking pink.

This is epic though. Seriously fricking epic. Also, while I love this harlem preacher look, I love guys in zoot suits more. The only way to notch this up is to get a red zoot suit. Do it. Do it to it.

FreedBird

Reaction score
I understand the creative twist on black gospel church style you are trying to go for, which isn't the preference of most people on this board, but still I think you missed the ball on this one. Your pattern/color matching is creative, but it all comes down to fit:

Your pants are way to long.

You are literally swimming in your suits. I can understand if you don't want a European look, but the clothes should at least follow the shape of you body somewhat and not follow the body shape of a man who is 60 pounds heavier than you. Do you really want to look 60 pounds heavier?

Your shirt collars are too big. They should fit comfortably snug against your neck when buttoned to the top.

Your tie knots are absurd. I understand wanting a big knot, but these knots are probably about twice as big as they should be.

I don't think that you are a hopeless cause, but you just need to learn more about some of the rules of classic dressing then decide which ones to keep and which ones to break. If you break all the rules at once it just comes off looking odd.

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
dl20;979860 said:
Originally Posted by Connemara
Spiffy, you're outfitss are sickcening. My ensembles are admittedly mediocre but have mercy, I am but 19.
confused.gif
FORSALE6813635141-1.jpg
FORSALE681363577-1.jpg
Not bad conne but i'd suggest hanging your ties and blazers rather than balling them up and putting them in a drawer
devil.gif
devil.gif
dl

this look is very nice..but I think that Spiff is in a conundrum. In the group he rolls with, he HAS to adhere to a certain look. If he were to come off very clean as the picture above...he would STAND OUT in that circle and there's not a lot of understanding or celebration of differences in that circle. You assimilate or you get ridiculed. He either gets ridiculed amongst the people he is around in real life..by dressing more traditionally...or he gets ridiculed in a forum for how he dresses to fit in.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Holstein Bilter;980424 said:
Originally Posted by dl20

this look is very nice..but I think that Spiff is in a conundrum. In the group he rolls with, he HAS to adhere to a certain look. If he were to come off very clean as the picture above...he would STAND OUT in that circle and there's not a lot of understanding or celebration of differences in that circle. You assimilate or you get ridiculed.

He either gets ridiculed amongst the people he is around in real life..by dressing more traditionally...or he gets ridiculed in a forum for how he dresses to fit in.

Well he made the wrong choice.

Personally, I act so that you guys will accept me, not so the people I actually know will give a damn. Real friends are overrated! Virtual acquaintances are the bee's knees.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Oh, just for about the past 20,000 or so years- Ever heard of Lake Michigan?

Originally Posted by Manton
Yeah, but isn't that in Michigan?
confused.gif

Michigan is one of the states that touches it. It's also adjacent to Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. Chicago is near it's southern tip.

mafoofan, are you inferring that Manton is geographically challenged
crackup[1].gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, how the heck am I supposed to know if you're being sarcastic? Stupid smileys give away nothing. A standard smiley, laughing smiley, or tongue smiley would have been more indicative. The confused smiley appears too earnestly confused.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Lol Manton is one of the smartest guys on the board. Now Conne or dkzzz not knowing where the hell Lake Michigan is, that's understandable, but Manton?

mafoofan isn't exactly a dummy either
boxing[1].gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
I think everything is horrible, but have we really stepped back and recognized what happened here? This is, as SuFu would say, NEXT LEVEL. You can even tell by my use of formatting.

His style is so bad people are coming out of the woodwork saying to the effect "I'm so ******* flabbergasted at what you're wearing I have to respect the decision." He is quite clearly on his own level, his own plateau of criticism.

crackup[1].gif

But I think private circle of hell might be more accurate...

Originally Posted by sonlegoman
To his credit, he probably dresses better than 95% of the people from Wisconsin.

... the aforementioned private circle.
smile.gif

(*waits to get flamed by the hordes from Wisconsin*)

I am a non-conformist so I usually lean slightly to the other direction in each setting, i.e. jeans or a button down shirt in church, and a tie on industry gigs. The result is that I am always set apart but still appropriate, and usually get a number of compliments. But the honest truth is that none of the outfits I posted are drastically different from what the majority of people I work with wear, including the fit. I am constantly observing those around me, and pulling out the elements of their style that I like, and incorporating them into my own. That, along with commenting in areas I am knowledgeable about, is what I intend to do (and have been doing) in these forums.
In all seriousness (no really!), if it works for you, fine. Who am I to critique you? Enjoy yourself, you only live once. But it still looks bloody awful to me.

In any case, thanks for the funniest, ballsiest thread here for a while.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
laugh.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Damn I always arrive late to these threads.

Well, mt_spiffy, I have good and bad things to say.

The good part: You, sir, have stones to wear this and post pictures.

The bad part: I would make some different choices for my own attire. Not much, really, just a few tweaks here and there, such as:

the jackets: their fit
...and the fabrics
...and the color choices
and the tie knots. I've seen smaller ascots
and the jeans which are too long and baggy
and the shoes. Every pair pictured, plus whatever sneakers you have hiding in your closet/under your bed.
You're too pale and washed out to carry some of those colors. Get a tan please.
Don't care for your facial hair, either grow a beard or shave it clean. And for God's sake use a decent shaving cream
Can't criticize your hair cause you have none. But if you've got it, grow it, cause you'll miss it when its gone. Trust me on this one.
And wash behind your ears, damnit!
The glasses are too German. Get something with character, like tortoise-shells.
Not really fond of the sofa, not enough structure, but the color is decent
Get rid of the wallpaper please.

On balance though, I call it a push. As I mentioned, those are my preferences, taking those for your own would make you look more like me which some would also object to, so do take it with a grain of salt and a smile.

The bottom line, though, is that you have stones which counts for a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads