• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
rolleyes.gif

Well, how the heck am I supposed to know if you're being sarcastic? Stupid smileys give away nothing. A standard smiley, laughing smiley, or tongue smiley would have been more indicative. The confused smiley appears too earnestly confused.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Tuck in your shirts. Buy your jeans a size smaller. Have your jackets taken in and tailored. Buy non-Platypus bill toe shoes. Learn to make a smaller knot.

+1. That would at least get him started. A better haircut would help, too.

But, overall, Mt. Spiffy, just because you "intended" for your outfits to look like that doesn't and isn't going to make them look any better, nor is there really going to be any way of justifying it that doesn't still make them look ridiculous. The industry in which you work is no excuse either; if you are intending to look "fashion forward" this ISN'T the way to do it.

In short, what exactly ARE you intending to do with your outfits? You aren't flattering your body style; they are so ill-fitting your body shape disappears beneath the clothes. You also aren't hiding your problem areas while accentuating your goods; you are simply drawing attention to yourself with a garish outfit. Are you attempting to create a new "style" that will make you unique; if so, nevertheless you are dressing virtually like 90% of the other people who simply don't understand the first thing about dressing and just grab something out of their closet and wear it.

In short... I don't really see the point. But, of course, you obviously have confidence to post yourself on a general forum. So, as SoCal mentioned, you aren't hopeless. With that confidence and a little more concern about fit and "mixing," it could work.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, how the heck am I supposed to know if you're being sarcastic? Stupid smileys give away nothing. A standard smiley, laughing smiley, or tongue smiley would have been more indicative. The confused smiley appears too earnestly confused.

He got 'ya.
laugh.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Lol Manton is one of the smartest guys on the board. Now Conne or dkzzz not knowing where the hell Lake Michigan is, that's understandable, but Manton?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spiff has picked up influences from sources that he considers sacrosanct. There's no way getting around that unless he realizes the sources also look ridiculous. I'm sure, for example, he's unaware of how trendy big knots have become in general. The people in the music industry he is referring to didn't start the trend; they're just copying it (and if his own knot is any indication, poorly). Spiff's not the first poster to rely on the compliments of his peers to validate his style.

Anyway, to be frank, I don't think there's any way to improve what he's wearing. It's already a cartoon. He'd have to start from a clean slate--and that will only happen if he changes the way he approaches his style to begin with.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Lol Manton is one of the smartest guys on the board. Now Conne or dkzzz not knowing where the hell Lake Michigan is, that's understandable, but Manton?

Before moving to Chicago, I knew nothing of midwestern geography. If you had put a gun to my head and asked me what states bound Lake Michigan, I couldn't have told you. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Before moving to Chicago, I knew nothing of midwestern geography. If you had put a gun to my head and asked me what states bound Lake Michigan, I couldn't have told you.

Fo realz dawg? I didn't think it was just regional knowledge.
Edit: Actually, that's understandable. Conne told me something about some **** called Adirondrack and I had no clue what he was talking about.

It has nothing to do with intelligence.
It might not inherently have anything to do with intelligence, but it could be argued that someone who is knowledgeable in as many subjects as Manton would at least know the basic geography of major landmasses or landmarks in the United States.

Anyway, who really gives a ****? It borders states, who cares which ones it borders.
Let's get back to baggin on spiffy.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before moving to Chicago, I knew nothing of midwestern geography. If you had put a gun to my head and asked me what states bound Lake Michigan, I couldn't have told you. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Aah- East coasters.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
yeah, I would agree ... most women don't know anything about men's clothes... the other day a friend of a friend (female) was going on and on about how great Italian shoes were (which some are)... I asked what she thought of English shoes and she said not much ... when probed further she didn't know any of the English shoe companies ....

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
yeah, I would agree ... most women don't know anything about men's clothes... the other day a friend of a friend (female) was going on and on about how great Italian shoes were (which some are)... I asked what she thought of English shoes and she said not much ... when probed further she didn't know any of the English shoe companies ....

I don't think it's just women. People in general don't understand much about clothes, fashion, or style; we just happen to be geeks about it. The average person's impression of an outfit is often heavily influenced by his or her impression of what's 'in fashion'; he or she won't even bother to assess fit, balance, or composition. The only thing that matters is whether those bootleg jeans are still 'in'. The result is that people often compliment things they don't necessarily think look good on a more fundamental level. That's why I think compliments, like insults, should generally be taken with a grain of salt.

jeskali

Reaction score
i am not reading the whole post, but i stumbled upon this guys pictures and can only come to the conclusion that he is joking. that is like someone being a car nut and shwoing off their hot hyundai with the big shiny rims and coffee can muffler on it. what a disgrace-some people have no clue

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, I'm late to the party, but this is pretty much what would happen if the NBA Draft took place on the back streets of Naples, right?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
Dude, dont you see how much smarter it would have been for me to just keep these pictures to myself? I could have gone on posting, everyone would have thought I was normal, and if I wanted attention, it would be a much more positive type. But now, every response I have in every other thread will not be taken seriously for at least a week-- if not much longer! NOT the best way to get attention.

you already know that members here dont care for that style but you post anyway. it is apparent to me that you feed off of the hate. you love the negative attention. perhaps if you tried to fit in here you would not get any positive attention or at least as much as forum vets so since you did the oposite and seem to have outshined everyone. congratulations! thankyou fellow forum posters for giving this man his 15 min. of fame

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
you already know that members here dont care for that style but you post anyway. it is apparent to me that you feed off of the hate. you love the negative attention. perhaps if you tried to fit in here you would not get any positive attention or at least as much as forum vets so since you did the oposite and seem to have outshined everyone. congratulations! thankyou fellow forum posters for giving this man his 15 min. of fame

I don't think this is fair. I know nothing of Spiff's motivations, but I think the forum would be better off if more people posted pictures, even if others hate their style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads