• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are These Shoes Any Good?

bigchris1313

Reaction score
IIRC, this loafer is part of the new Allen Edmonds for BB line. Resembles several other AE loafers, and price is in line with them as well. Of course, SF groupthink mandates that AE is never worth full retail, and that any SF-approved AE purchases must be of AE seconds. But can one readily purchase seconds from the AE for BB line? Do these seconds even exist? And if these seconds do not exist, then what happens to the dialectic of overpriced AE firsts + underpriced AE seconds, which serves as the philosophical/ideational underpinning of all SF?

dk123

Reaction score
They look exactly like the AE Presidio with a different sole. (The sole on the BB version appears nicer to me). I like them...

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds makes good and reliable products for their price range. They are most certainly not over-priced at retail (unless you live in Toronto Canada). Designer names like Prada or Gucci are over-priced at retail, not Allen Edmonds.
There is nothing wrong with chasing deals or waiting for factory rejects that may or may not ever materialize, but chasing deals can very easily become a burdensome time-waster. Factor in the time one would spend looking for deals below retail and convert that time into dollars and you may be shocked to find that you have paid even higher than retail in the end, and have purchased inferior goods.
If you see something you like and can afford it, buy it. With retail you have the widest selection to choose from and immediate satisfaction.
These loafers look fine to me. If you would like to go up a notch, consider a pair of loafers by Alden as an alternative.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Allen Edmonds makes good and reliable products for their price range. They are most certainly not over-priced at retail (unless you live in Toronto Canada). Designer names like Prada or Gucci are over-priced at retail, not Allen Edmonds.
There is nothing wrong with chasing deals or waiting for factory rejects that may or may not ever materialize, but chasing deals can very easily become a burdensome time-waster. Factor in the time one would spend looking for deals below retail and convert that time into dollars and you may be shocked to find that you have paid even higher than retail in the end, and have purchased inferior goods.
If you see something you like and can afford it, buy it. With retail you have the widest selection to choose from and immediate satisfaction.
These loafers look fine to me. If you would like to go up a notch, consider a pair of loafers by Alden as an alternative.

I agree with this. BB will likely have another sale soon, and these will likely be included. If you like them, and you can wait a bit, buy them then. if you like them and you can not wait a bit, buy them now.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint

+ 1

I also do not get the general consensus which says AE's are bad
puzzled.gif
. With shoes, way I see it you either get top of the line $1K plus, or go lower end at around $300 - $400. I struggle to see how $550 Prada or Ferragamo shoes trump AE's in construction (style being subject to a more abstract definition). It would be tempting to say perhaps Ferragamo are mid range, but it seems AE's are considered bottom range here. When one compares the two heads up, they both are in the same zone of quality. Styleforum boggles my scientific mind occasionally
drool.gif
- particularly when noting most prominent members here do not equate cost alone as being totally definitive in classing one brand of shoes against another. Most arguments related to AE being too expensive or poor value for money at full retail appear to draw heavily on strawman / "pie in the sky" perspectives.

oaw01

Reaction score
Es are just as good as CJs. However, CJs are a bit cleaner in their construction and have better lasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads