• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these GW shoes faulty?

Firenzaboxer

Reaction score
Hi,

Long time lurker on the forum; I've signed up because I need some advise.

I've bought some new shoes from a manufacturer I've not purchased from before. I've already had an exchange pair, but the replacements have arrived with the same issue.

Basically, the upper is pulled away from the welt in several places:

IMG_0293_zpsoxtb7m5v.png

IMG_0296_zpsvgrjytj5.png

IMG_0295_zpsdryjuned.png

For the return of the first pair (visibly worse than the new pair), herring stated that they had been "incorrectly lasted".

Are these faulty, or am I just being fussy?

These are just a pair for my work rotation. If it was creases/marks I'd not raise a concern; however I insist on GW shoes as they are robustly made shoes that improve with time; I expect them to age well and be correctly made (even at this price point - £230). I've not seen similar issues on other similarly priced brands (barker/shoe passion for example)

Thanks for any views (feel free to be brutal if I'm just being fussy!)

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Basically, the upper is pulled away from the welt in several places:
Thanks for any views (feel free to be brutal if I'm just being fussy!)

The upper is not pulled away from the welt...the welt is pulled away from the upper.

This is significant (if not important) because it reveals a flaw in the making--the inseam is not tight. The stitches that hold the welt on are not pulled tight, the wax is either non-existent or not holding...much less sealing the holes...and / or the stitches are spaced too far apart.

Yes, it is flawed. It bodes no good for the stability and life of the shoe. If nothing else, such loose inseaming will admit moisture and dirt into the shoe very easily.

No conscientious shoemaker would consider it acceptable.

That said, according to you, it is a pattern that I suspect will not change no matter how many times you send them back.

edited for punctuation and clarity

Last edited:

Firenzaboxer

Reaction score
DWF, thanks for your post (I'm nowhere near as knowledgable about construction details).

I think I'll return for a refund instead of another replacement.

Thanks again

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics