• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are pale pink shirts for men ok?

NavyStyles

Reaction score
... at least I don't need to wear baggy jeans and an Abercrombie shirt to confirm my sexuality.
Right on, brutha.

I, too, have a nice lavender dress shirt. I recently got a tie that has diagonal stripes in black and a shade that matches my shirt perfectly. I get mucho complimentos when I wear the two aforementioned articles of clothing with my black dress pants.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when I've worn it, on occation people have turned around and shouted "***.".  I'm straight, but pink lining on your cuffs must make you automatically gay.

That is so obsecenely ridiculous as well as insulting in many senses.

But anyways I've worn a pink shirt with a slim navy blue double breatsed blazer by Fendi. It is quite a striking look. I am not afraid to wear any colors really. I want a Schiaparelli shocking pink tie or perhaps a suit lining.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Unfortunately, when I've worn it, on occation people have turned around and shouted "***.". I'm straight, but pink lining on your cuffs must make you automatically gay.
That is absolutely despicable and horrendous. I personally love to wear colors. In fact my favorite dress shirt that I have is a custom Robert Talbott candy striped shirt with contrasting white collar and cuffs; french cuffs of course. I wear it with a solid pink Thomas Pink tie and pink cufflinks. I have gotten a tremendous amount of compliments on it. I think pink is a great color, and I am looking to purchase a slim fit pink dress shirt myself that I can wear untucked with a pair of jeans and some loafers. That is a nice shirt VersaceMan; I have an Etro shirt as well that has a multi striped blue pattern to it. Unfortunately it is too long to be worn untucked. It is actually quite subdued compared to some of the Etro shirts I have seen at Neimans. Do you have any experience with Paul Smith? I was eyeing some of their patterns. Power to the Pink.
smile.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pink (how fitting.),

Ever since I purchased that Etro shirt, I've fallen in love with their shirts. It fits very nicely, and I especially like the high-stance button-down collar with unique shape, and the attention to details (thick cake shell buttons, different material in collar and cuffs).

There are a few excellent Etro and Paul Smith shirts on ebay ending soon, all from the same seller. He is selling them as new without tags, but they are all the same exact size so that makes me think he's worn them a few times. They are all breaking $120-$180 for a used shirt; that just seems way too much to spend.

I haven't had any experience with Paul Smith, but his patterns are very nice. Someone said that either the PS line or the Paul Smith London line was slim-cut; I would definately be interested if I could find some at a low price. I was checking the Thomas Pink slim-cut shirts at the Marshall Field's in Chicago two weeks ago, and they also produce a very nice striped shirt. $165 each is a bit pricey for me, but if I had a larger budget I'd definately go for them.

faz63

Reaction score
When it comes to dressing up i can only think of two worst things than wearing pink shirts. Wearing training shoes {sneakers} with suits i believe we have you Yanks to thank for that. Worst of all wearing light brown shoes with a navy suit i believe we have the Italians to thank for this obscenity and i hasten to add after 6pm too. This offence is on the verge of criminality.
mad.gif

FCS

Reaction score
Geez Faz, don't be so angry. I'm the one who voted for 'strongly discouraged' but I acknowledge that variety is a spice of life.

Pink22m

Reaction score
When it comes to dressing up i can only think of two worst things than wearing pink shirts. Wearing training shoes {sneakers} with suits i believe we have you Yanks to thank for that. Worst of all wearing light brown shoes with a navy suit i believe we have the Italians to thank for this obscenity and i hasten to add after 6pm too. This offence is on the verge of criminality
Get this guy out of here.
mad.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No pink shirts, brown suits or light brown shoes with navy suits?? I'm going to have to toss my whole wardrobe
smile.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, how old do you think faz is? I'm guessing over 50
smile.gif
Oh man us young people today with our brown shoes and brown suits and pink shirts, next thing you know we'll toss all of these aside and wear loincloth furs and oil our bodies like real heathens do. The lesson is, I believe, to wear what you're comfortable with. I can wear a pink shirt, no problem. Someone who isn't comfortable wearing one would look so to anyone who looks at him, and so it wouldn't be advised, in that case. Someone who looks nervous wearing a pink shirt would probably draw negative attention to himself, while someone who acts like it's nothing unusual at all would definitely look more stylish. I think VersaceMan must live in a neighborhood full of jocks. If such is the case, I suggest you do this: Next time one of them calls you a "***" for wearing a pink shirt, be sure to thank him for keeping your fries piping hot, and your DVD rentals well-stocked.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll occasionally wear a light pink shirt with a charcoal grey or navy suit; but I hardly ever wear a suit, and pink doesn't seem particularly appropriate for either interviews or seminars. Retorts to taunts of '***", which, incidentally, is something I've never had to deal with, so I'll take no responsibility for the results of using these: If you are in fact straight: "Your mom doesn't seem to think so." Should it occur that you are gay: "Your dad doesn't seem to mind." If you are really railing for a fight: "I gave it to both your mom and dad last night. Does that make me bisexual?" And only, only to be used if you are able and willing to handle the situation: "Ah, so you must be that guy I took in the bathhouse this morning." Booooyaaaa.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love pinks shirts.I have a Oxford button down collar version, from Brooks Brothers. I think it looks great with Khakis or even bone chinos. I am not in to matching anything but the polo's with navy blues chinos and never with black.You can get real preppy and wear them with an offensive grean colored chinos.Youd have to be very secure to do that. Pink shirts also look great with jeans, especially the lighter colors.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Alias and LAG,

HILARIOUS advice for comebacks. Maybe before anyone plans on using them, he should check out the "Getting big" thread, haha.

acole

Reaction score
Cripes, this thread makes me glad I'm in California...I've got better things to do than worry about whether some guy on the street is gay.

I don't care for the effeminate look, but it's definitely possible to wear a pink shirt without sacrificing virility--most white guys have PINK skin anyway, for Pete's sake.  I'd add that it looks quite good on a lot of people.

In fact, I'm going to order up a pink shirt right this minute, just to irritate people like VersaceMan's neighbors :)

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Originally posted by Shirtmaven:
Who is man enough to wear Lavender/purple?

I love  lavender shirts with Charcoal gray.
While I was out ordering a first m-t-m shirt yesterday (admittedly blue), I also selected a fabric for a new suit. Although I did not end up choosing the fabric, I was severely tempted by a Loro Piana grey-ground lavender pinstripe. Very discreet and, in my mind, distinguished.

And yes, I do wear purple shirts (solid end-on-end and purple check on white ground), although not to often. It's a pleasant variation.

MtB

*EDIT* VersaceMan: Wow, your light blue pink-lined Etro sure is something. It sure is a test for my self restraint not to go out and 'get me one of those...'

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes to pink, yes to purple, no to that strange color that's midway between dark yellow and mustard, and that looks horrible on everyone, and yet that I still see all over the place. (The thought just struck me. You know what I'm talking about.)
isokrak.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads