Are pale pink shirts for men ok?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Mar 14, 2004.

1. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

There are a lot of things to say "no" to in that picture.

2. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Today, I am wearing a pink shirt and is usually the case on such days, I have received comments from every woman I've seen today. Same is true when I wear my lavender (Robert Talbott MTM, faint herringbone pattern) with a dark purple tie with white dots. I have a dark skin tone (thanks to my Italian grandfather), and these colors suit me well. Gentlemen chums often make the comment, "I wish I had the courage to wear that color." I'm not sure it is courage, but comfort.

3. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

haha, yeah, I've always had a problem with short sleeved shirts worn with ties. It's just plain weird.

4. faz63

faz63 Member

Pink shirts, Short sleeved shirts with ties, all we need now is a handbag to finish the look. [​IMG]

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Better watch out, or I'll swat you with my purse. Actually, I think that the short-sleeved shirt with tie thing was meant to illustrate a no-go.

6. FCS

FCS Senior member

While I have serious issues with pink, I do love purple shirts. It's my favourite colour actually. I probably live on Mars, but do a lot of people think that it's unmanly?

7. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

You really need to work on your trolls. They started out pretty weak, and they've gotten progressively weaker.

8. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

But your profile says that you live in Toronto. I'm so confused...

Purple is a great color in most of its different incarnations. If it's unmanly to wear it, well, then, I'll be unmanly.

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

FCS and JCusey,

I think a light purple shirt, rep tie in light purple/silver or light purple/dark purple and a charcoal suit would look great. Purple is a nice color.

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

[​IMG] My super art skills put to use [​IMG]

11. gregory

gregory Senior member

I don't think there's anything wrong with purple per se (a blue shirt wanting to be pink?.) but ever since I read Class, I have been reminded of purple polyester pantsuits when I see purple. Paul Fussell, in Class also considers purple the color of the proles--that is, the proletariat--the same way navy is the color of the upper middle class. [And may I add beige/white/light grey the colors of the upper class?]

12. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
    Let us know how the shirt turns out. As for the LP grey with lavender stripes, I have a shirt made of that fabric, got it made last summer in Rome. VERY NICE shirt. You should have started with that.. As for Etro, the largest selection for men will have to be Oger in Amsterdam. About 30 different shirts. In the Hague, you have Oger and Hoogeveen Rouwers. As for pink shirts, if you are not man enough to wear it, don't [​IMG] . Who cares what others say. Usually I give them a "you want me to disable you" look then they shut up.

13. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior member

All quotes originally posted by T4phage:
    I'll post in the custom-shirt (Geneva) thread.
    There must be some confusion here, the LP grey with lavender pinstripe fabric was wool, unless I'm seriously mistaken. I wrote I was also selecting fabric for a suit and came across the LP. I just brought it up in response to the 'wearing purple/lavender' remark. But it would have made a great suit... And as I said, I was sorely tempted. In any case, you do make me curious as to your shirt. I'd like to see that sometime, somehow.
    I discovered Oger in the Hague (I'm becoming what you might call a regular). In fact, I purchased 4 Etro shirts there this year (2 on sale, 2 new collection both linnen). Hoogeweegen Rouwers somehow is not a store I feel comfortable in, although I couldn't explain why.
    I like pink shirts. See my earlier post in this thread. MtB

14. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

My shirt is a LP cotton fabric, grey royal oxford with lavender pinstripes, very very nice. I picked up the fabric at the Loro Piana outlet at "the Mall", and got my shirtmaker to transform it into a shirt for me. [​IMG] You should really go to the "Mall", since you will find some nice fabrics, plus some "one offs"

15. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

It's actually a nice store, the only things I get there are some Etro shirts (I picked up a wild striped shirt last week), and occasional presents for my wife in the Etro/Chloe area.