• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are my shoe trees OK?

TommySch

Reaction score
Good day,
I bought a pair of shoe trees for my dress shoes but I'm not sure if they fit right or not. Lady in store advised me to get shoes trees in same size as my shoes. When we've put them in she told me that it's well. I'm not sure now because I need to make the gap where are metal sticks between parts of wood so small. It can be seen in photos which I attached. On one photo there is shoe tree inside and on the other photo there is how it looks outside.

What do you think? Are they OK or too big?
WP_20171024_23_39_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20171024_23_41_06_Pro.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They seem fine. As long as they fill out the vamp and don't deform either the width or heel then they're ok.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Hi TommySch,

I would say they look about right. The ideal shoe tree should have the same shape as the last a shoe was made on, but unless you buy the (often overpriced) fitting shoe trees of the shoe manufacturer (and not all offer shoe trees, let alone fitting ones), all aftermarket shoe trees will remain a compromise. Best recommendation is to buy one where the general shape of the shoe tree as closely as possible corresponds to the shape of the shoe especially when looking at them from the top and front. They should fit into the shoe with compression (i.e. there should be a gap of 5-10mm between front and rear parts of the shoe tree, you need the pressure to stretch the leather gently back into shape), but it shouldn't take force to get the shoe tree into the shoe (no gap would not be good), nor should they fit loosely into the shoe (no compression of front and rear sections and therefore no stretching of the leather). Whilst taking same size of shoe trees is a start, you'll only find out if you try them in the specific shoes as different shoes will differ in length across the same size from maker to maker and last to last. Also, bear in mind that cedar wood shoe trees shrink with age and will become slightly looser over time.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene