• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are BB sportcoats worth the dough?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
At 36R it's hard for me to find good deals in B/S and eBay. I need a few summer weight jackets... should I shell out the $300-600 on BB or is that too much for the quality you get with today's Brooks Brothers? Where else might I look?

Thanks,
J

brittain

Reaction score
I think BB is a good purchase if you can get it on sale. You just missed the friends and family sale, but Im sure there will be another one coming up.

Made in California

Reaction score
I'm also in the same boat: looking for good deals on size 36 blazers. And yeah, B&S has a lot of large items.

How much should we look to pay for a BB blazer and consider it a good investment? $200?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
I got a BNWT (still had the basting thread), $900 1818 pinstripe BB suit for less than $200 on eBay.... I don't get deals like that very often though.

cipofan

Reaction score
I recently scored a cashmere and wool brown plaid sportscoat from their website that is like butter for $272. It didn't even have finished sleeves making it easier to get surgeon cuffs if one so desires.

jmoody15

Reaction score
At the friends and family sale, I grabbed two sportcoats for $600. Seem to be good quality, and I'm happy with the results at that price.

phillyesq

Reaction score
I would never pay full price for anything at BB, but as long as you get one on sale, they are a great value. The next sale is the semi-annual, which usually starts in June (I think late June, but I'm not 100% sure).

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phillyesq
I would never pay full price for anything at BB, but as long as you get one on sale, they are a great value. The next sale is the semi-annual, which usually starts in June (I think late June, but I'm not 100% sure).

Yeah I agree completely. I think that it was June 22 last year. I do not buy anything from BB for full price unless it is a complete emergency. I was thinking about getting one of those pincord suits, but I do not want to pay $600 bucks for one.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phillyesq

Has anyone ever said in the history of Style forum that something is worth what it costs at full retail? Seems like the prevailing sentiment on this forum is that full retail on any item is too high and that you're crazy to buy anything that isn't on sale.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by East Oakland
Has anyone ever said in the history of Style forum that something is worth what it costs at full retail? Seems like the prevailing sentiment on this forum is that full retail on any item is too high and that you're crazy to buy anything that isn't on sale.
BB has sales so often that it's easy to avoid paying full retail. Moreover, with a corporate membership, which are also easy to get, there is never a reason to pay full retail at BB.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
BB has sales so often that it's easy to avoid paying full retail. Moreover, with a corporate membership, which are also easy to get, there is never a reason to pay full retail at BB.

True. I have a corporate membership myself.

I just think that when people on this forum answer the question of "is X item worth Y dollars?" they tend to look more to whether the item can be regularly purchased on sale rather than what comparable items generally cost or whether the cost to value ratio of the item is good. For instance, because AE's can often be found on sale at $160 or so, people here tend to think that $160 is the true vale of a pair of AEs, but because Aldens go on sale much less frequently, people tend to think that they must be worth their full retail price. Are Aldens really more than twice as good as AEs?--Probably not.

It makes me think that brands that tightly control the supply chain to prevent their items from ever going on sale might be on to something.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by East Oakland

i could not agree more.

this theory assumes that a) you are in an easy-to-find size and b) have hours to troll ebay, B&S and every niche web merchant to find the ideal product at the ideal price, RIGHT NOW.

sadly, neither is true for me, nor, i suspect, for many others.

i prefer a softer version of this theory, which is:

1. if you find something you REALLY REALLY like, do consider paying full price for it, because if you really like it you'll wear it a lot and it will pay itself back.

2. if you're "meh" about it, never pay full price, because you will (and that's guaranteed) find something that REALLY floats your boat at a roughly similar price, OR you will find an equivalently "meh" product at a discount.

Sebastian Melmoth

Reaction score
I just bought a suit at Boyd's at full price. I know they have a sale coming up in 3-4 weeks, but:

1) I was getting a basic item - solid charcoal, 40R - They might not cut the price, or it might sell before the sale; and
2) *******, it's only money, and I wanted the damn suit.

That said, I do like a bargain, and some things, such as Borrelli shirts, are beyond my price range unless they are half off.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
1. if you find something you REALLY REALLY like, do consider paying full price for it, because if you really like it you'll wear it a lot and it will pay itself back.

I agree with this, and follow the practice a lot. At BB I can get at least 15% off, but at other stores if there is something that I really want, then I'll buy at full price.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I agree with this, and follow the practice a lot. At BB I can get at least 15% off, but at other stores if there is something that I really want, then I'll buy at full price.
...and I agree with you JJ.
If I may add, waiting for the sales & great prices doesn't guarantee having great selection.
I have found that during sale periods, one has to literally line up 3 hours before the store opens to even have half a shot at getting the exact thing you want.
This, to me, is a waste of time. It can easily become a waste of life to chase sales.
Where I pay full retail I never buy on impulse. I'll always sleep on it.
If something is really beckoning to me after 24-48 hours, and it fulfills a need, I'll give in.
I have only 1 BB jacket and I am very happy with it. quality & construction is reasonable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads