• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Americans the Only Ones into Bad Style?

Reaction score
i buy a shitload of champion and russell athletic dry fit shirts. and cologne. that's bout it nowadays. when i was a teen i bought everything ralph lauren. rrl, polo. abercrombie wasn't in the marshalls stuff so i couldn't afford them. i also bought a lot of banana republic for shoes. hmm... come to think of it i liked giorgio armani more but only had a few pieces.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes because grand opening weeks count? There was a line for almost a month when a Sonic opened down the street. A new Chipotle had long ass lines for days. If you were to talk about lines then it would be Hollister on 5th if anything. I remember walking by at 2pm or something and there was a line out the store.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike America, get over your ****** sense of nationalism.
I have no sense of nationalism, I just don't like it when people hate America for no reason (or bad reasons). There are plenty of reasons for people to hate where you're from I'm sure.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez, a little touchy, no? I guess I didn't know there were rules regarding what "counts," but in any case that line was outside of Topman every day on the weekends and some weekdays for at least a month, if not longer. If that counts then great, if not then you can happily win the argument. Still seemed unusual to me. By contrast, there have been no lines to get into that women's store Aritzia that just opened. And yes, the lines outside Hollister were crazy, too. Clogged up the sidewalk all the way around the corner onto Houston.
ffffuuuu.gif
Another store I don't get.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bad Style requires no passport.

LUBE UP

Reaction score
I was in Paris a month ago and there was a 'holy ****' moment when I realised that long line was for A&F. Having been to London and NYC among other places in the past couple of years I'm pretty sure Parisians have the best sense of aesthetics in the world, and they seemed pretty immune to fashion trends. This will pass, hopefully.

rdstour

Reaction score
What people don't realize is that Tommy Hilfiger Europe, for the longest time, was owned/run by a completely different management company. Whereas the one in the United States went through the whole streetwear and lost its preppy roots, Tommy Hilfiger Europe and those that ran it marketed it as the ultimate classic upscale American sportswear company. That's why when you look at the items in Europe, they're much more Ralph Lauren/JCrew esque. Recently I heard that the European brand bought out the American brand and they're trying to merge them together.

If you went into their stores vs the stuff you'd find at Macy's, the difference is night and day. Same for the prices lol

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiddleClassDouche
I love how 'invading' USA brands piss people off. Is it actually about fashion, or is it people who just dislike America in addition to American fashion? =)
Because when someone says "American fashion" this is what they jump to. Also, most of the posters in this thread are American or at the very least North American
Originally Posted by MiddleClassDude
(Just for the record I have no problems with people from Europe personally or politically... just the ones that hate America for being America)
And obviously this isn't the case/norm given that the article clearly shows that these idiots eat this **** up
Originally Posted by austinite
The problem is that other shoes are simply much less comfortable than sneakers. Most american men don't care about being stylish, they just want to be comfortable. I personally only wear sneakers when I am either at the gym or running, but when it comes to comfort, I prefer my New Balance running shoes over any of my more expensive and better looking shoes.
This is bullshit, buy better shoes I don't get why this is shocking to anyone though. Everyone knows the Japanese attitude to A&F/Hollister (Ala Moana shopping center
facepalm.gif
). Same thing, different ocean.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by austinite
The problem is that other shoes are simply much less comfortable than sneakers.
Agreed ... this is total BS.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how we get into wars. Giving a ****.

Think I give a **** that thefashionspot hasn't started a John Varvatos S/S12 thread? No, this is not a time for wars.

P.S. I doubt Uncontrol hates the U.S.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike America, get over your ****** sense of nationalism.
What uncontrol didn't say and shouldn't need to is that there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike any country... in fact apply that to any thing period. But why not focus more on things you like?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads