• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Americans the Only Ones into Bad Style?

chunkmo

Reaction score
Australian mainstream style is horrible, so i don't doubt that people would eat this stuff up. The general public have no idea on what constitutes good or bad clothing, so of course when they hear that a "good" brand name is opening a store they go nuts for it (same as g-star, diesel etc...).

While A&F doesn't have an official store here yet (i think?), i'm starting to see more and more people wearing their hoodies and shirts.

S-Town

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
abercrombie quality isn't bad at all. better than most **** at gap/br, giant logos aside.

i happen to agree. other than A&F being a stereotypical frat boy/high school thing, i've always felt their clothes are pretty decent quality. i've had tees, polos, sweaters, and jeans. i don't like the style anymore now that I am an adult, but i can still appreciate that the clothes are built better than the other mall brands.

green bastard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
A&F I can get but... Gap, Banana Republic? Seriously, who in Europe would want to buy that ****....
Originally Posted by dotfire
Uhhh don't you mean the other way around?

Never heard of Gap or Banana Republic in Germany before.

Originally Posted by PaulYAY
untrue. Back when I wore Levi's, I'd order them from Europe because the quality is much better and sizing is far more standardized. Levi's has a better reputation in the EU and the company keeps production of EU products seperate from the rest to preserve that reputation (and justify the higher retail price).

I do own one pair of Levi's and can't complain about the quality, it's fine to me. Not great, but definitely not bad! Levi's is considered a better brand here in Germany. I've also seen Wrangler's retail for 130$, but that was an exception.

Originally Posted by Zeemon
It is true that abercrombie and hilfiger have a better image here in europe than in the US
they are pretty much considered as upmarket, because e.g. hilfiger has completely different prices for europe. for example this sweater http://usa.tommy.com/tommy/browse/pr...skuColorId=378
(59$)
retails in europe for 100€ = 140 $
same with ralph lauren but not that extreme
and people buy this stuff at these prices

Douchebags nonetheless.

Amelorn

Reaction score
I'll attest to this. I'm in Europe 9 months of the year. In the UK, Abercrombie and Ralph Lauren are HOT HOT HOT items amongst the working class and middle/upper-middle classes, respectively. However, G-Star jeans are a very good pair of jeans over there, as opposed to a speciality luxury denim here. Discounting is much rarer, with the exception of Germany. My friend's mother found it a great coup when she found some Tommy Hilfiger socks at TK Maxx. As an American, Tommy Hilfiger does not wow me in the slightest, with the brand connotations being "Discount/outlet store fodder" and "Dad brand." However, brand image does differ from market to market. Levi's and Ralph Lauren are relatively mundane here. Over there, any of us could pay down a good part of our vacation by bringing a suitcase full of NWT polo shirts and jeans. However, in the UK, Burberry is suffering significantly from "Prole Drift" and their clothing is considered a bit gauche (although price embitters those who cannot afford it as well). Over here, a Burberry purse or scarf always wins a compliment.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by green bastard
Never heard of Gap or Banana Republic in Germany before.

I do own one pair of Levi's and can't complain about the quality, it's fine to me. Not great, but definitely not bad! Levi's is considered a better brand here in Germany. I've also seen Wrangler's retail for 130$, but that was an exception.

Douchebags nonetheless.

ja, man bräuchte ein deutsches wort für douchebag, es gibt kein passendes finde ich

green bastard

Reaction score
Ich verwende das Wort Prolet, welches als peasant oder redneck übersetzt jedoch völlig aus dem Kontext gerissen wird. Douchebag passt wirklich hervorragend!

(Just comparing English und German insults.)

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a side note, the Gap in Japan is actually pretty nice, especially compared to the **** they put out here. I picked up two pairs of slim fit flannel cargo pants for ***** and giggles for about USD 19 each. I don't think the Gap is popular there tho as most of the stuff was on sale and had nearly full size runs.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes in the UK Ralph Lauren is pretty pricey and still pretty sort after. Gap does okay but has been in decline, Banana Republic is seen as more sort after than Gap (and there are fewer stores). Hilfiger has a modest prescence and certainly isn't despised. Levi's are costly - well around the same price as Nudie... We have our own crap but trendy brands too - anyone seen Jack Wills
facepalm.gif

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
I love how 'invading' USA brands piss people off. Is it actually about fashion, or is it people who just dislike America in addition to American fashion? =)

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gats
Really don't understand the hype for COS, quality's ****** and most of the stuff is boring monotone basics

SEE SEE! Don't care though, I want it bad.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** yeah. Sartorial imperialism. Eat that you lousy Eurotrash.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiddleClassDude
I love how 'invading' USA brands piss people off. Is it actually about fashion, or is it people who just dislike America?

u serious?

Amelorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Yes in the UK Ralph Lauren is pretty pricey and still pretty sort after. Gap does okay but has been in decline, Banana Republic is seen as more sort after than Gap (and there are fewer stores). Hilfiger has a modest prescence and certainly isn't despised. Levi's are costly - well around the same price as Nudie... We have our own crap but trendy brands too - anyone seen Jack Wills
facepalm.gif

I'm not bothered by Jack Wills. Their boxers are
inlove.gif
and the polos fit me great. It's the **** emblazoned with WILLS that bothers me. Edit: What bothers me with Americans is the "uniform" (blue jeans: originally counter-culture....now you're brow-beaten for not wearing them) of jeans and sneakers that haven't seen a day of athletic activity in their lives. Most American men have forgotten the great breadth and diversity of shoes available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads