Are Americans the Only Ones into Bad Style?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TyCooN, Jun 18, 2011.

1. dmash

dmash Senior member

yeah, when i was in italy, the kids/teens/young adults were all decked out in abercrombie! the women, just as the article said, loved gossip girl and blake lively. they even used english slang terms while talking to each other. .. weird.

I saw this in Rome A LOT. Not really in Milan though.

2. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

yeah, when i was in italy, the kids/teens/young adults were all decked out in abercrombie! the women, just as the article said, loved gossip girl and blake lively. they even used english slang terms while talking to each other. .. weird. also, tommy h was expensive but different from the n.american stuff. still, i wouldnt kop[​IMG]
    Seems ironic considering (North) Americans have probably gotten somewhat closer to European style over the past decade or so. Sure, not to an extreme extent, and not outside of major cities, but it seems that we're slowly moving in that direction. Also I wonder if this is just a temporary fad, or if in a couple of decades we're going to see fat, balding Italian men trying to seem "with it" by wearing a Hollister t-shirt.

3. Rover!

Rover! Senior member

I have heard the same thing about Russia as well....

Are the Levis sold in Europe of any better quality? I mean the American ones are so cheaply constructed the "leather" patch is actually cardboard.

Quality is the same in Europe including the cardboard patch, except prices are like double US retail.

4. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

My school has a huge number of Japanese international students, most of whom buy and wear a lot of Hollister/Abercrombie/American Eagle, etc. A lot of them wear T-shirts made by japanese brands that say random American places and other stuff, t shirts that just say, "Arkansas", "Football", "California", etc. in plain lettering.

5. auggie

auggie Well-Known Member

Polo sells for nearly 3 times the price it does in Switzerland compared to the U.S, the items aren't the same but the quality is. Levis sell for $150 a pair and the quality is shit. I have noticed Abercrombie and Hollister everywhere with kids under the age of 20 or so in Europe lately, then again a lot of them could be American/Canadian tourists...but most likely the influence of American brands is much greater now. Definitely more so then when I lived here 5 years ago.

6. Lel

Lel Senior member

A&F I can get but... Gap, Banana Republic? Seriously, who in Europe would want to buy that shit....

7. Desi

Desi Senior member

They can have BR if we can get a Cos. Let it be a NY megastore I don't even mind.

8. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

Quality is the same in Europe including the cardboard patch, except prices are like double US retail.

untrue. Back when I wore Levi's, I'd order them from Europe because the quality is much better and sizing is far more standardized. Levi's has a better reputation in the EU and the company keeps production of EU products seperate from the rest to preserve that reputation (and justify the higher retail price).

9. dotfire

dotfire Member

A&F I can get but... Gap, Banana Republic? Seriously, who in Europe would want to buy that shit....

Uhhh don't you mean the other way around?

10. gats

gats Senior member

They can have BR if we can get a Cos. Let it be a NY megastore I don't even mind.

Really don't understand the hype for COS, quality's shitty and most of the stuff is boring monotone basics

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

FYI Gap have been very successful in Europe for years(except apparently in Germany), and Banana Republic is just Gap with different branding. As for A&F, there are brand whores everywhere.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

I thought this thread was about racial stereotypes as they relate to style. [​IMG]

13. hastur

hastur Senior member

abercrombie quality isn't bad at all. better than most shit at gap/br, giant logos aside.

14. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

slightly off topic, but I saw this jacket in a thrift store the other weekend. Thick red leather with huge fur neck and lapels.. [​IMG]

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

abercrombie quality isn't bad at all. better than most shit at gap/br, giant logos aside.
    The 'Abercrombie' quality in Xilinhot is actually quite awful and really cheaply made, would be lucky to last a single wash before it disintegrates with a lot of it.