• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Americans the Only Ones into Bad Style?

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
other than the huge market and design in sneakers sure. Now I may not like a lot of them but there are tons of different designs, shapes, and models.

Amelorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
other than the huge market and design in sneakers sure. Now I may not like a lot of them but there are tons of different designs, shapes, and models.

Except most sneakers available to Joe Average's income are more or less variants on the same shoe. Oh sure, a designer name brings lots of $$$ into the equation, but one wonders at the cost-benefit there.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
u serious?
Depends on your stance I guess... this is one of the most opinionated internet boards I've ever been on so it wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of fashion-snobby euros who already hate America hate it even more because they further hate the fashions that come out of here... as if our mere fashions being sold within 1000 miles of their great classic cities is an insult. Maybe it's just me (literally) but this is the impression I got from the thread (and it's title). (Just for the record I have no problems with people from Europe personally or politically... just the ones that hate America for being America)

austinite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by S-Town
i happen to agree. other than A&F being a stereotypical frat boy/high school thing, i've always felt their clothes are pretty decent quality. i've had tees, polos, sweaters, and jeans. i don't like the style anymore now that I am an adult, but i can still appreciate that the clothes are built better than the other mall brands.

My college experience is that A&F is the mark of someone not in a fraternity. Ralph Lauren / Brooks Brothers with khaki shorts = FRAT. Abercombie / Hollister and cargo shorts = GDI.

Interesting article. I do tend to think that only Americans fall victim to the ****** trendy brands, but in hindsight it makes sense that all humans are equally prone to poor decisions.

inq89

Reaction score
I think AF is popular because of youth chasing after the all-American aesthetic, and whatever the youth wears makes it ok for 30 somethings to as well lol. At least that is what I've seen in Asia but I'm sure its the same in Europe.

If they only knew that brands like AF and Tommy aren't well respected here (stateside) by anyone with any sense of knowhow, even mainstream. Most college guys stop wearing AF by their freshmen spring semester in my area, then its all to Polo and Vineyard Vines haha.

austinite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Amelorn
Most American men have forgotten the great breadth and diversity of shoes available.
The problem is that other shoes are simply much less comfortable than sneakers. Most american men don't care about being stylish, they just want to be comfortable. I personally only wear sneakers when I am either at the gym or running, but when it comes to comfort, I prefer my New Balance running shoes over any of my more expensive and better looking shoes.

WorkingClassDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by austinite
The problem is that other shoes are simply much less comfortable than sneakers. Most american men don't care about being stylish, they just want to be comfortable. I personally only wear sneakers when I am either at the gym or running, but when it comes to comfort, I prefer my New Balance running shoes over any of my more expensive and better looking shoes.

+1

East2West

Reaction score
This has been a rather amusing, interesting read.

It seems that the love/hate relationship between US/EU has manifested itself in our sartorial insurgencies.
While our politics, etc., are cause for alarm or grounds for debate our perceived lifestyle is still desired and emulated.

I think some of that perception of an easier, glamorous far-off lifestyle is why many Americans seek out Italian (for example) luxury goods. (Quality of said items aside for the sake of this post)

I guess my point is that this phenomena is not unique to Parisians or Brits. We all know "the grass isn't greener..." but people whether consciously or not still hope it is and reach for that far off greener field. In this case, we reach through our wallets and retail stores. Someone else made a similar point earlier so, to that, I say +1.

OK enough rambling.

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
People in Taipei are obsessed with A&F :|

That being said, A&F is preferable to most clothing brands native to Taiwan.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American brands are exotic in Europe. Italian brands are exotic in America. Who woulda thought?

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is old news, no? It's been going on for at least twenty years, or probably more. Used to be about Levis and RL (I know in a lot of European countries if you had that little pony on your polo you were the ****); now it's just another brand. Since that A&F opened on 5th Ave. in NYC I've seen a line of tourists every single time I've ever walked past, and that's been there for years now. Personally I don't get it, but then I don't get it when Americans wear A&F.

Just out of curiosity, any Japanese or British board members who think it's funny that lines form outside Uniqlo and Topman in NYC? Seems like the same thing to me.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiddleClassDude
Depends on your stance I guess... this is one of the most opinionated internet boards I've ever been on so it wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of fashion-snobby euros who already hate America hate it even more because they further hate the fashions that come out of here... as if our mere fashions being sold within 1000 miles of their great classic cities is an insult. Maybe it's just me (literally) but this is the impression I got from the thread (and it's title).

(Just for the record I have no problems with people from Europe personally or politically... just the ones that hate America for being America)

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike America, get over your ****** sense of nationalism.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
japan doesn't even shop at uniqlo that much apparently.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never was a line outside of Topman whenever I go. You sir are a liar!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads