• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Allen Edmonds meant for "older people"

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats actually about as far away from an accurate statement as there could possibly be.  I don't look at menswear magazines, I don't care what today's fashions are.  I picked the shoes I picked because they are high quality for the price, and I believe they reflect my personality.  I like shoes...  what is so wrong about that?  Also, I did not "lay it out explicityly" that I like these shoes because I get complements for them.  All I said was that if you want your friends to be jealous of your shoes, buy these.  I like these shoes because they are exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't want a normal dress shoe, I wanted something that was not over the top, but still very unique, and the New Orleans fit that bill perfectly for me.  I bought them on sale for $249, and that is by far the most I have ever spent on a shoe of any kind.  I don't want to look anything like the guys in the magazines.  Heck, I don't even know what those guys would look like, or what they would be wearing if I did run into them in the restroom.  I don't "look for clothing that attracts attention."  I look for clothing that reflects my personality, that I feel comfortable and confident wearing.  I bought these shoes because if i'm going to spend more than $100 on a pair of shoes, they had better be the ones that I like the most.  In this instance, the New Orleans from AE caught my eye.  That is why I bought them, not because of some pompous looking guy in a magazine.  I've already found the woman of my dreams, I don't need to impress anyone.

Thank you for taking the time to judge me and my motives without ever actually taking the time to get to know me first.  Isn't there something better for you to be doing than judging people based on one comment they have written in an internet forum????

lol, you love shoes but have black eccos as your only other shoe?

Nothing says versatility like black eccos and brown woven shoes.

nice.

Last edited:

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
lol, you love shoes but have black eccos as your only other shoe?

Nothing says versatility like black eccos and brown woven shoes.

nice.

I was more referring to basketball shoes, and other types of athletic shoes, not just dress shoes. I don't have much of a need for dress shoes outside of church, and the occasional wedding reception or other special event. I see your appetite for belittling people has yet to be satisfied. Feel free to continue wasting time making fun of my wardrobe choices. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to know that there is someone out there with a clearly superior intellect like yourself that is there to point out my flaws for me so I don't have to do so for myself.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you invited some snarky comments because your original post contained something that wasn't really true (saying they're a young person's shoe) and then getting confrontational in your 2nd reply.

I'm not saying you deserve it - just saying I can see why it's there.

If you like the shoes, great. That should be the end of it, really.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
No... I got snarky because he insulted me... He said "nobody gives a f*** about you or your New Orleans. I don't mind when people disagree with me. I am glad to hear that others have different opinions than that of myself. I personally think that many younger people would enjoy the New Orleans shoe in walnut. It is an older style of shoe, but many people where I live (college town) find that kind of style appealing. If he wants to disagree respectfully, I have no problem with that, but vulgarity is unacceptable where I am from. (he said what he said in reply to my first post).

I apologize if this sounds argumentative or confrontational towards you, that is not my intention. Thank you for your concerned comment.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No... I got snarky because he insulted me...  He said "nobody gives a f*** about you or your New Orleans.  I don't mind when people disagree with me.  I am glad to hear that others have different opinions than that of myself.  I personally think that many younger people would enjoy the New Orleans shoe in walnut.  It is an older style of shoe, but many people where I live (college town) find that kind of style appealing.  If he wants to disagree respectfully, I have no problem with that, but vulgarity is unacceptable where I am from.  (he said what he said in reply to my first post).

I apologize if this sounds argumentative or confrontational towards you, that is not my intention.  Thank you for your concerned comment.

perhaps I said what I said because you posted the same thing in about 3 threads, one of which was about 2 years old.

are you gonna cry now?

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
perhaps I said what I said because you posted the same thing in about 3 threads, one of which was about 2 years old.

are you gonna cry now?
Forgive me for sharing my clearly misguided excitement and opinion. Us lesser beings would be better off just keeping our yaps shut am I right? If I had known that my posts would have inconvenienced you to such a degree I would not have posted them. I am sorry you were forced to endure my idiotic excitement for 3 whole posts. I applaud you for taking it upon yourself to put lesser individuals such as myself into our proper place.

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
I'm also 24 and recently invested in my first pair of proper dress shoes, the AE Player's Shoe in Walnut. At $225 on sale at Nordstroms I thought it was a great opportunity and starting point to get my first pair although I wish they had an E width available as it would've been a bit more comfortable. The reason for purchasing the shoes was because of a recent job offer that I accepted and would require me to wear business casual/professional attire on a daily basis or else I would not consider it a smart buy for myself.

IMO their line up is definitely more geared toward the older crowd, 35-55 is what I believe they stated as their target market. I would say there are only a handful of styles in their current selection that I would consider purchasing and probably none at the full retail price.

eluther

Reaction score

Thank you for taking the time to judge me and my motives without ever actually taking the time to get to know me first.  Isn't there something better for you to be doing than judging people based on one comment they have written in an internet forum????

Like you said - it's an Internet forum. No need to take anything personally. You clearly have some interest in clothing, otherwise you wouldn't have signed up for an Internet forum that deals almost exclusively in clothing. And, my guess is that, you came across clothing through some kind of visual medium. It's no indictment against you that you're looking to emulate the things that garnered your attention.

You're also very fortunate to have found the woman of your dreams. Cheers to that.

Eluther, that's a very good post. Admittedly, I'm young, and I don't mind being noticed for my clothes, but I long ago decided that clothes that stick out in and of themselves (that is, as individual items) aren't really for me.

I'm with you. Being noticed for dressing well is never bad – you put effort into it and it's nice for others to recognize that. It takes a lot of time and effort to get noticed for dressing well and not just owning something others associate with the well dressed.

AZsundevil

Reaction score
Forgive me for sharing my clearly misguided excitement and opinion. Us lesser beings would be better off just keeping our yaps shut am I right? If I had known that my posts would have inconvenienced you to such a degree I would not have posted them. I am sorry you were forced to endure my idiotic excitement for 3 whole posts. I applaud you for taking it upon yourself to put lesser individuals such as myself into our proper place.
Yikes. It's probably best if you just give it up and quit posting in this thread. You're not going to gain anything by continuing to banter.

bgp001

Reaction score
I would guess the majority of people buy AEs as work shoes, and as work shoes I think they work fine whether you're 20 or 50. I wear a pair of AEs every day at the office and I'm 23; I don't feel out of place and thus far no one has ever mistaken me for a geriatric codger.

Last edited:

manchambo

Reaction score

Thats actually about as far away from an accurate statement as there could possibly be.  I don't look at menswear magazines, I don't care what today's fashions are.  I picked the shoes I picked because they are high quality for the price, and I believe they reflect my personality.  I like shoes...  what is so wrong about that?  Also, I did not "lay it out explicityly" that I like these shoes because I get complements for them.  All I said was that if you want your friends to be jealous of your shoes, buy these.  I like these shoes because they are exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't want a normal dress shoe, I wanted something that was not over the top, but still very unique, and the New Orleans fit that bill perfectly for me.  I bought them on sale for $249, and that is by far the most I have ever spent on a shoe of any kind.  I don't want to look anything like the guys in the magazines.  Heck, I don't even know what those guys would look like, or what they would be wearing if I did run into them in the restroom.  I don't "look for clothing that attracts attention."  I look for clothing that reflects my personality, that I feel comfortable and confident wearing.  I bought these shoes because if i'm going to spend more than $100 on a pair of shoes, they had better be the ones that I like the most.  In this instance, the New Orleans from AE caught my eye.  That is why I bought them, not because of some pompous looking guy in a magazine.  I've already found the woman of my dreams, I don't need to impress anyone.

We get it. You think style is really stupid. Even if you didn't keep bragging about how you maintain complete ignorance of style by never taking notice of it in fashion magazines and such, it would be obvious by the fact you bought those shoes and love them so much.

But the thing is this is a forum about style. I would have thought the name would have clued you in on that. You will probably have better luck posting in the lets talk about whatever ugly shoes we like to wear to church forum. If you keep posting here about your opinions based on complete ignorance and apparent disdain for style, you are liable to have a number of people disagreeing with you.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Like you said - it's an Internet forum. No need to take anything personally. You clearly have some interest in clothing, otherwise you wouldn't have signed up for an Internet forum that deals almost exclusively in clothing. And, my guess is that, you came across clothing through some kind of visual medium. It's no indictment against you that you're looking to emulate the things that garnered your attention.

You're also very fortunate to have found the woman of your dreams. Cheers to that.
I'm with you. Being noticed for dressing well is never bad – you put effort into it and it's nice for others to recognize that. It takes a lot of time and effort to get noticed for dressing well and not just owning something others associate with the well dressed.

I didn't mean to say that I have no interest in clothing (at this point i'm not exactly sure what I said). My idea of style doesn't come from magazines though, it comes from people I know and respect. I try to emulate their style more than anything. I guess I never really thought about that before, but I think that about sums it up for me. Yes, I did find the girl of my dreams, and yes, I am VERY lucky. I agree 100% with everything you said in this response. my snarky comments were in response to someone who used vulgar language in a post directed at me that was completely unprovoked.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
We get it. You think style is really stupid. Even if you didn't keep bragging about how you maintain complete ignorance of style by never taking notice of it in fashion magazines and such, it would be obvious by the fact you bought those shoes and love them so much.

But the thing is this is a forum about style. I would have thought the name would have clued you in on that. You will probably have better luck posting in the lets talk about whatever ugly shoes we like to wear to church forum. If you keep posting here about your opinions based on complete ignorance and apparent disdain for style, you are liable to have a number of people disagreeing with you.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me... I just have a problem with the person who used vulgarity whilst explaining his disdain for me, my opinion and my shoes. All of my sarcastic responses were directed at him and him only. I apologize if I inadvertently directed a comment at you. That was not my intention.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Yikes. It's probably best if you just give it up and quit posting in this thread. You're not going to gain anything by continuing to banter.

haha... it's a good thing i'm not trying to gain anything... I just figure he has lots of time to waste, so why not help him waste it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics