• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Allen Edmonds meant for "older people"

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I disagree, when I was "younger" (and i would have you believe that I am now 21) I wore brogues. What is not for younger people is the costs associated with long lasting shoes, they seem to have other things to spend their money on, cars women and Jack Daniels etc... What is for older people is the value concept associated with good shoes and the capacity to work out that the actual cost of a pair of shoes is the annual cost over the life of the shoe and perhaps the though of having an old friend on your feet.

I actually like the style of AE over Aldens, because it is slightly less boxy, as for the olive garden I though that was only on The Big Bang Theory, do you mean that it really exists?
Yep it exists... and people in these parts love it because they give you extra plates so you can buy 1 meal and share it with more than 1 person. They buy one meal for their 4 kids and make them fill up on the endless breadsticks... then proceed to not tip the waiter. Also, the food is disgusting.

thetasmanian

Reaction score
Sounds disgusting, although in Australia we do not tip waiters, the assumption is that they are paid a wage to do the job, It's now funny to think that when I was a boy I used to complain about not getting desert because I refused to eat Pumpkin, perhaps I was not so hard done by.

As to the shoes, I hope that my comment made good sense

mzs1121

Reaction score
I'm 31 and a financial professional and I never have nor never will buy a pair of Allen Edmonds. Their shoes are stuck in time, and while that might fit well for the older, conservative, cuff link wearing professional, I'll stay away from the boring styles. I have no doubt the quality of their shoes is top-notch but I'd rather wear something Italian and stylish anyday.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm 31 and a financial professional and I never have nor never will buy a pair of Allen Edmonds. Their shoes are stuck in time, and while that might fit well for the older, conservative, cuff link wearing professional, I'll stay away from the boring styles. I have no doubt the quality of their shoes is top-notch but I'd rather wear something Italian and stylish anyday.

They do have certain models that are sleek. I do agree that some of their shoes do look dated

JLnoir

Reaction score
I just bought my second pair of AE shoes. I really liked the Ventura hwy. imo there a very well made shoe for the price of $200. And I'll agree most of there shoes are not for the younger crowd. Just so you know I'm 29

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads