Are Allen Edmonds meant for "older people"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bexcellence, Mar 16, 2012.

1. lostron

lostron Senior member

I have mixed thoughts on this. I will say this as a younger buyer of AE.. Most of their styles are fugly and I personally cannot see myself wearing them right now. On the other hand, they have a few shoes that I would consider extremely versatile and comfortable. For that reason, I recommend and own the park avs, fifth aves, sanford, and a loafer (forgot name).

I do not think they are thE bulky as they are made out to be and overall a good investment

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

A wise man once said, "You gotta get in where you fit in!" The same could be said of shoes.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It never happened . . .

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Some of the lasts are a little boring, but it is what it is. I'm young and have about 10 Allen Edmonds ranging from Park Avenue captoes to Westchester loafers to Bayfield boots. I do like the new 3-333 last, but they generally don't stock narrow widths for me to try. The neumora looks promising. Allen Edmonds has somewhat of a monopoly over me as they carry narrow widths.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

+1 for narrow widths and for taking custom orders

7. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden Senior member

AE has sales all the time, not to mention Nordstrom Rack having them at $150ish all day. When I start seeing NIB Vass at the AE price point I'll be first in line to support the Vass > AE argument, but as it stands now I don't see them as comps.

At the AE price point I love the Bel Air, Larchmont, Mora, Park Avenue, Hinsdale, Strand, Flatiron, Boston, and Weybridge.

Not to thread jack, but I find the tightness of where the laces come together on the Weybridge a huge hassle when attempting to polish the tongue of the shoe. Anyone else have this problem?

8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I can't imagine an older buyer buying them. Not even my long dead grandfather.

9. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Well, they're comfortable, which tends to appeal to older folks.

That being said, they're pretty cool looking if you get the right model, too.

10. hrb

hrb Senior member

Try the "0" last. If you can find a pair of Soho's, Charlestons or Evanstons, you may like them more than what you're finding on the current site. Aside from that, the Mora and Berkley lasts aren't bad as well (think its the 7 or the 8).

11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

+1. AE offers formal dress shoes which are reasonably priced. They are not the best quality leather or craftsman ships . But you will do any better than AE for under $350. With everything else as price increase you get better quality and design. As you pay more you may get C&j,Eg or even JL.
    I think AE is Toyota Corolla in shoe world ..... they are not the best looking or high tech but they do what they are supposed to do and do it really well.

12. blahman

blahman Senior member

From all the posts I've read about them, I say AE gets the job done most of the time - the 100% safe and 100% unremarkable way (which is really the definition of the so called 'timeless style' around SF) . Seems to be decent bang for buck but I still think they're ugly as sin and at about 350 dollar much better looking shoes can be had (just browse shopthefinest or virtualclotheshorse). I think they seem to be all the rage because they are very accessible to Americans, and they can be had for $150 often enough.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

GTFO.

There is no corolla of the shoe world, because cheap plain shoes don't last long. maybe florsheims or something

$325 shoes are not corollas considering the average guy pays maybe $80 for dress shoes.

I think some AEs are not great looking (PA for instance), but like the wingtips and others like the clifton which are a bit less blobby.

14. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

No. I wear them.

15. RSS

RSS Senior member

I have a pair or two ... but I am 'older.' Still, my preferences run toward other traditional shoemakers: Alden, Vass, & Cleverley are but three.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012