• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Allen Edmonds meant for "older people"

lostron

Reaction score
I have mixed thoughts on this. I will say this as a younger buyer of AE.. Most of their styles are fugly and I personally cannot see myself wearing them right now. On the other hand, they have a few shoes that I would consider extremely versatile and comfortable. For that reason, I recommend and own the park avs, fifth aves, sanford, and a loafer (forgot name).

I do not think they are thE bulky as they are made out to be and overall a good investment

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wise man once said, "You gotta get in where you fit in!" The same could be said of shoes.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]In my early/mid 20s I owned an array of "fashion" shoes (yes, even square toed loafers which I will deny ever owning).  Now that I'm a working stiff, I realize that those were fine for clubbing and socializing but not much else.  [/COLOR]

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It never happened . . .

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the lasts are a little boring, but it is what it is. I'm young and have about 10 Allen Edmonds ranging from Park Avenue captoes to Westchester loafers to Bayfield boots. I do like the new 3-333 last, but they generally don't stock narrow widths for me to try. The neumora looks promising. Allen Edmonds has somewhat of a monopoly over me as they carry narrow widths.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for narrow widths and for taking custom orders

Hank Rearden

Reaction score

The only ones I wear are the Weybridges. And they are my last choice after Grenson, Vass, Zegna, Sutor, etc.
I've tried a few other models, but always ended up returning them, they just don't look as good in real life.

AE has sales all the time, not to mention Nordstrom Rack having them at $150ish all day. When I start seeing NIB Vass at the AE price point I'll be first in line to support the Vass > AE argument, but as it stands now I don't see them as comps.

At the AE price point I love the Bel Air, Larchmont, Mora, Park Avenue, Hinsdale, Strand, Flatiron, Boston, and Weybridge.

Not to thread jack, but I find the tightness of where the laces come together on the Weybridge a huge hassle when attempting to polish the tongue of the shoe. Anyone else have this problem?

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, they're comfortable, which tends to appeal to older folks.

That being said, they're pretty cool looking if you get the right model, too.

hrb

Reaction score
Try the "0" last. If you can find a pair of Soho's, Charlestons or Evanstons, you may like them more than what you're finding on the current site. Aside from that, the Mora and Berkley lasts aren't bad as well (think its the 7 or the 8).

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first question would be, what is a younger buyer?  The second question would be what do want the shoes for? I did see the post re: slim suit on a younger guy but still don't know what that means.  Is it for work?  School?  Formal event?  A social night out on the town?  Everyday casual wear?  There's a lot of information still missing.

+1. AE offers formal dress shoes which are reasonably priced. They are not the best quality leather or craftsman ships . But you will do any better than AE for under $350. With everything else as price increase you get better quality and design. As you pay more you may get C&j,Eg or even JL.
I think AE is Toyota Corolla in shoe world ..... they are not the best looking or high tech but they do what they are supposed to do and do it really well.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From all the posts I've read about them, I say AE gets the job done most of the time - the 100% safe and 100% unremarkable way (which is really the definition of the so called 'timeless style' around SF) . Seems to be decent bang for buck but I still think they're ugly as sin and at about 350 dollar much better looking shoes can be had (just browse shopthefinest or virtualclotheshorse). I think they seem to be all the rage because they are very accessible to Americans, and they can be had for $150 often enough.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think AE is Toyota Corolla in shoe world ..... they are not the best looking or high tech but they do what they are supposed to do and do it really well.

GTFO.

There is no corolla of the shoe world, because cheap plain shoes don't last long. maybe florsheims or something

$325 shoes are not corollas considering the average guy pays maybe $80 for dress shoes.

I think some AEs are not great looking (PA for instance), but like the wingtips and others like the clifton which are a bit less blobby.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
No. I wear them.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pair or two ... but I am 'older.' Still, my preferences run toward other traditional shoemakers: Alden, Vass, & Cleverley are but three.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads