• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archibald London: true craftsmanship, no middlemen, Official Vendor Thread

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally think that Shinki HH or Badalassi would be better looking and no break in.
I love Badalassi, really are incredible and in a league of their own when it comes to veg tan and that is why we use them on all the bags we do. But the Horween CXL is pretty beautiful and also really touch and durable... the colouring which you can only do with a re-tan of this sort is pretty unique and tells a totally different, more oily story than would a traditional veg-tan skin

Devis4u

Reaction score
My concern with chromexcel would be how easily the finish scrapes off, particularly in a jacket

dhoff10

Reaction score
Horween uses either fqhh or steer for cxl. The steer is thicker and smoother with more consistent graining, while the horse is lighter and harder to scratch. The steer starts off stiffer but breaks in softer.

Of course everyone gets horse because it's rare. Personally I think steer translates better for a high end jacket. My guess from the pics is that's steer.

kurenai

Reaction score
Interested to know the intended RRP for these.

Definitely gonna pick 1 up when its out

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested to know the intended RRP for these.

Definitely gonna pick 1 up when its out
RRP is looking at something like GBP 925 I think. (if I estimate cost)
USD price would be something similar...

Naked price still to be confirmed (since costs are being estimated)

Horween leather is particularly expensive overseas...but the craft and skill the jacket makers we use in London have is really special. We have tried to find leather jacket makers in Italy who come close (also the pricing is better) but thus far as far as jackets are concerned are yet to find someone who can compete. So the high price of craft is definitely worth it, particularly for a lifetime piece.

@Orlando is this correct?

kurenai

Reaction score

Horween leather is particularly expensive overseas...but the craft and skill the jacket makers we use in London have is really special. We have tried to find leather jacket makers in Italy who come close (also the pricing is better) but thus far as far as jackets are concerned are yet to find someone who can compete. So the high price of craft is definitely worth it, particularly for a lifetime piece.

:fonz:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How would that price be accurate in usd? 900 gbp is 1200 usd.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would that price be accurate in usd? 900 gbp is 1200 usd.
It would, at least something in that region... there are differing taxes and sales related costs in the two countries so it balances out on the exchange rate. Final pricing will be released soon

Most European brands charge American customers a 40% mark-up on the products over the hefty duty bill as the US has traditionally opted to pay more for these items. In our case, the US pricing is actually probably the most attractive in the world because not only is it our major market but also the cost-of-sales expenses (aside from when returns take place which is actually a very low rate) are lower than anywhere else. Furthermore, since we ship in direct from Europe, what really helps is the de-minimus value in the States is pretty generous.

So I guess we often get a backlash from European customers complaining about the favourable pricing in the USA but the truth is we are one of the few brands doing it the honest way and not making our friends from across the Atlantic pay unnecessary mark-ups.

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score
It would, at least something in that region... there are differing taxes and sales related costs in the two countries so it balances out on the exchange rate. Final pricing will be released soon

Most European brands charge American customers a 40% mark-up on the products over the hefty duty bill as the US has traditionally opted to pay more for these items. In our case, the US pricing is actually probably the most attractive in the world because not only is it our major market but also the cost-of-sales expenses (aside from when returns take place which is actually a very low rate) are lower than anywhere else. Furthermore, since we ship in direct from Europe, what really helps is the de-minimus value in the States is pretty generous.

So I guess we often get a backlash from European customers complaining about the favourable pricing in the USA but the truth is we are one of the few brands doing it the honest way and not making our friends from across the Atlantic pay unnecessary mark-ups.
Maybe I am being a bit stupid but I didn’t follow your explanation. If the item costs a UK customer £925. If we strip out the 20% VAT (£185) that leaves £740 (£740 + £185 VAT = £925). If you then converted £740 into $, it would come to $965, at today’s exchange rate. Thus, would a US customer pay $965 + their local sales tax (whatever that is) for the item? Your answer seemed to indicate that they would pay $925. It can’t be cheaper to post out and deal with returns from the US as opposed to the UK?

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am being a bit stupid but I didn’t follow your explanation. If the item costs a UK customer £925. If we strip out the 20% VAT (£185) that leaves £740 (£740 + £185 VAT = £925). If you then converted £740 into $, it would come to $965, at today’s exchange rate. Thus, would a US customer pay $965 + their local sales tax (whatever that is) for the item? Your answer seemed to indicate that they would pay $925. It can’t be cheaper to post out and deal with returns from the US as opposed to the UK?
my answer was somewhere around that... meaning it wouldnt be 925GBP straight converted to USD.
As it is distance selling we are exempt from many charges there too.

wrt logistics expenses... we only do special delivery here so cost of deliveries to the states which are either dhl or parcel force with the amounts we do there arent as much more as one would think they would be. Returns are expensive there but we have a very low return rate for now.

Either way depending on what happens with Brexit, we might need to re-locate the operations totally to somewhere else in Europe.

Last edited:

Betta

Reaction score

Ah cool. looking forward to the naked prices!
Also why did you decide on Horween specifically vrs any other leather available from European tanneries? Not criticizing, just curious really :)

wooboyung

Reaction score
Just got my Chelsea boots and worn them once. Here’s my 2 cents hopefully it can provide some insights to those interested! Leather seems really supple. However the creasing is pretty obvious in the vamp area. Not too sure whether it’s due to the characteristic of the leather or if it’s not lasted properly. Welt and insole executed well.

Attachments

• 7FE8AC01-BDEE-4891-B4AF-E50736643DFB.jpeg
    7FE8AC01-BDEE-4891-B4AF-E50736643DFB.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 368
  • 4F264E2B-CAEC-4121-9644-BE338C88D0B7.jpeg
    4F264E2B-CAEC-4121-9644-BE338C88D0B7.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 927

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Chelsea boots and worn them once. Here’s my 2 cents hopefully it can provide some insights to those interested! Leather seems really supple. However the creasing is pretty obvious in the vamp area. Not too sure whether it’s due to the characteristic of the leather or if it’s not lasted properly. Welt and insole executed well.
Great to hear you got it.
So we had this in the thread a while back with someone concerned with the creasing. I shared pictures of my tester pair when we were choosing the leather and this particular skin has a very unique property and is usually reserved for bespoke or special edition pairs. So when not worn the shoes wont look as great but when worn it will pop back to life... I will try and find the post it was a while back when we were explaining all this. I think i want to doxa video on it because i really vest up my pair and it looked all beaten and worn, never polished or used any product on it and just got it resoled and the upper looks brand new. The leather is soft but surprisingly resiliant, you will see over time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads