• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone use those at-home mole removal kits?

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience with these? One is molepaste.com. I've got a few moles, two in particular that I'd love to get rid of, and surgery sounds expensive. I see positive testimonials on various message boards, but usually they're by people with 3-4 posts and it makes me suspicous that they're viral marketers.

mbc

Reaction score
Depending on the type of moles you have, I would seriously consider consulting a dermatologist before using any of those treatments.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I've never seen this. Anyone tried it?

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
Depending on the type of moles you have, I would seriously consider consulting a dermatologist before using any of those treatments.

well I'm probably going to just to make sure they're not cancerous. But if I can get rid of them for a fraction of the cost of surgery, I'd definitely wanna go that route.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a mole trap. Gets those suckers every time:

168907_lg.jpg

Alternatively, try a pest and wildlife removal service.

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
id just leave em be..depending on how gross they were and where they were located.. i dated a guy had 1 on his abdomen near his navel or slightly below it... it it was long and look like iono an extra skinny finger...man it was so gross it hung of him like when you bite into an extra cheesy pizza and all the goowey cheesing dripping from your mouth ...if its gross like that man... tie a string around it and let it fall off lmao iono man..just depends on the gross factor

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Herbal/ natural definitions aside, anything that removes a mole will cause a defect or wound that needs to heal, and if deep enough causes a scar. There are no mole 'bleachers' available, and as the bumpf says it cauterizes, much like chemical cautery, electrocautery or cryocautery, or laser for that matter. The drawback of all these is that there is no material for examination to determine the actual nature of the mole, which is the gold standard way of testing - clinical methods are not wholly reliable. Any method that says they scar less will remove less and thus have a greater risk of recurring/ needing another treatment.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Herbal/ natural definitions aside, anything that removes a mole will cause a defect or wound that needs to heal, and if deep enough causes a scar. There are no mole 'bleachers' available, and as the bumpf says it cauterizes, much like chemical cautery, electrocautery or cryocautery, or laser for that matter. The drawback of all these is that there is no material for examination to determine the actual nature of the mole, which is the gold standard way of testing - clinical methods are not wholly reliable. Any method that says they scar less will remove less and thus have a greater risk of recurring/ needing another treatment.

+1.

Depending on the type and size of mole, some moles extend quite a distance below the surface of the skin. I very much doubt that any "home removal kit" would manage to get much of the mole area below skin level - and as pointed out above, if it does it will create a wound that will need to heal.

Given the fact that moles (not only those exposed to sunlight) have a greater tendency to become cancerous than does normal skin, I think that it would be worthwhile saving up to have the moles removed surgically, if they do bother you that much.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did an herbal removal last year and it came off fine but then a week later, all of a sudden, it left a keloid scar 3 times the size of the tiny test one I tried to remove. EVERYONE asks me about the scar too since it is on my arm. I'll prolly just have a dermatologist shave it down or cut the scar off. There are some interesting products I'm watching from companies that will regenerate skin. If you want it off that bad, just have a derm cut it off and have a minimal scar that nobody will notice.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I've never heard of this either, and I wouldn't use even if I had.

I've had three moles removed. The "surgery," if you want to call it that, was fairly simple: doctor betadynes the area, injects a local anesthetic, cuts out the mole in question, and stitches things up. A pressure bandage is applied A week or so later, the stitches are removed. Very little scarring.

The whole thing takes about an hour. The important thing is that the excised mole is sent to a lab for analysis; that's the only real way to determine whether there are more serious issues, beyond the visual cues of shape, colour, size, etc.

And the whole thing cost only a few hundred dollars.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I did an herbal removal last year and it came off fine but then a week later, all of a sudden, it left a keloid scar 3 times the size of the tiny test one I tried to remove. EVERYONE asks me about the scar too since it is on my arm. I'll prolly just have a dermatologist shave it down or cut the scar off. There are some interesting products I'm watching from companies that will regenerate skin. If you want it off that bad, just have a derm cut it off and have a minimal scar that nobody will notice.

If it happened after a week, it's probably a hypertrophic scar and not a keloid scar. It's better to have; it's more likely to resolve/ flatten by itself with time or simple treatments such as silicone gel, pressure or steroid injections. Surgery for a true keloid is not a good idea as it will most likely come back, but bigger.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheRealAshland
id just leave em be..depending on how gross they were and where they were located.. i dated a guy had 1 on his abdomen near his navel or slightly below it... it it was long and look like iono an extra skinny finger...man it was so gross it hung of him like when you bite into an extra cheesy pizza and all the goowey cheesing dripping from your mouth ...if its gross like that man... tie a string around it and let it fall off lmao iono man..just depends on the gross factor
Thank you so much for this imagery.
plain.gif

prezents

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
Anyone here have experience with these? One is molepaste.com. I've got a few moles, two in particular that I'd love to get rid of, and surgery sounds expensive. I see positive testimonials on various message boards, but usually they're by people with 3-4 posts and it makes me suspicous that they're viral marketers.

I used the molepaste and yes it absolutely did work. I too thought it couldn't possibly work, but I read the reviews on ebay and it made me feel confident to try. There is another called itworkspaste and I think they are similar.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by prezents
I used the molepaste and yes it absolutely did work. I too thought it couldn't possibly work, but I read the reviews on ebay and it made me feel confident to try. There is another called itworkspaste and I think they are similar.

How quickly does it take to heal? And did you use them on flat moles or raised moles?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this kit marketed by the same people who sell the home chemo set?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads