• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone try teeth whitening?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ajaxv, or anyone,

I've been thinking of zoom. My teeth are very sensitive as, and has been made worse because of slight receding of my gums due to clenching. Strange as it may be, I only clench my teeth when I sleep sitting upright, usually on a long flight. The recession only effects my canines.

The only thing that has held me back from zoom has been the pain. Do they give your Rx pain meds, or just recommend over the counter stuff? Do they get fussy if you ask for extra? How long does the pain last? If I did this, I would seriously consider doing it before I had 2-3 days off because of my sensitivity.

Edit: I recently found out that CA only introduced fluoride into their tap fairly recently. Makes me glad I was raised in TN.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dustin
Reduce drinking excessive tea or coffee.

I don't understand this, it makes absolutely no sense to me. These liquids are the very foundation of life!

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ajaxv2
....If you decide to use Zoom, here's what they do/don't tell you. You sit in a chair and have a giant laser dry all of your teeth. Your lips are stretched wide by a mechanical device, and will later crack do to the inevitable laser "splash damage." When the laser has done its work, gel is put on your teeth like toothpaste on a tooth brush. Next, the gel is burned into your teeth, whitening the surface. This process takes 3 min/ tooth. After all your teeth are done, you are shown in the mirror the INSANE changes that have taken place. (My teeth were splotchy afterward, most likely due to my fluorosis, but I'm not sure if uneven 'paste burning' was to blame as well)......Consider Zoom/ any "in-chair" whitening your last resort. If you're coming to us, you don't have movie star treatment at your disposal anyway
biggrin.gif
....]

That wasn't my experience with Zoom. There was sensitivity for a few days, but I wouldn't have called it pain, and I don't remember any cracking of my lips. The advantage to a laser is it's quick. I've since used trays which seem to work just as well, but it takes a few days rather than a few minutes.

DDSJohnny

Reaction score
Not a fan of zoom whitening system. Basically the result you see right off the bat is due to the teeth being dehydrated the crap out of. This dehydrating effect will last for a short time period (sometimes as short as 12 hours). From there, you are given trays and bleach anyway. The long term effect of your teeth getting whiter is due to the trays and bleach. Not only is this an uncomfortable procedure, the draw is from the pronounced initial result. Once your teeth rehydrate, they will return to close to their original shade.

IMO, the zoom treatment is just flushing your money down the toilet. Trays with bleaching products like opalesence or the actual zoom bleach should be just as effective. Try to shoot for 10%+ carbamide peroxide for best results in a decent time frame. Whitestrips are also effective but results won't be noticeable as rapidly as the trays + bleach.

AB01

Reaction score
Is baking soda not even an option?
I've had luck with Crest White strips, but it's like 30-days and the white doesn't last long term. I avoid coffee. Probably drink one a year.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fwiw a woman at work said the pain after zoom whitening was so intense she passed out multiple times, and this happens to about 10% of patients, although that number sounds pretty high to me.

Syl

Reaction score
Had the "tray" stuff from the dentist back in 01. I've always had a mild sensitivity to cold (but I can still bite into ice cream) but after a few days of using that chemical, I could barely breath out of my mouth without intense pain. I did see changes quickly but I never even finished my complete dosage.

I've tried the strips and barely saw results so I'd say that you gotta endure some pain to get real results. Up to everyone here to decide what's worth it.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had zoom done. I'm middle of the road between the no pain and the pass out painful people. There were regular shots of pain up my teeth that hurt pretty badly, and they were sensitive for a few days afterward. However, my dentist/ortho is incredibly competent, adjusted everything according to feedback, and I didn't end up with any of cracked lips or burns that others talk about. The splotchiness resided after a few days too. The results were pretty damn good.

mccvi

Reaction score
Tried it (at the dentist - uv). Worked well. Lasted one week, two best (i continued the same drinking habits - coke, coffee, scotch... not necessarily in that order).

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
white strips work, but i think if you put them on incorrectly you'll miss some spots, like the edges of your teeth. i hear baking soda does wonders but the taste is awful

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads