• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone ever been to Brazil?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so at the end of august, i'm going down to salvador, brazil with 10-15 other university mates for 3 weeks, via a sort of study abroad kind of program. i'm really into photography, and want to bring my dSLR; however in the country guide we were provided, it says that we should not be carrying large cameras, and keep small cameras hidden in pockets when not needed. everyone knows of the a high crime rate there, so i won't be dressy flashy or anything, the only "flash" being my camera bag + nikon d80. anyone ever bring a dSLR/large camera down to salvador or similar places, or have experiences to relay specifically dealing with crime? any tips would also be greatly appreciated, thanks
smile.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to Brazil twice, including visits to Rio, Niteroi (across the bay from Rio), Campinas, and Recife. I never felt unsafe, but I stayed in tourist areas and/or I was accompanied by a local host. I took the precaution of wearing a cheap plastic watch and didn't take a camera (not because of safety concerns, but because I'm not much of a photographer). I did, in fact, stick out as an American, though, because someone yelled to me one day when I went for a run on the beach. I know this isn't much help, but I think you'll be safe if you exercise reasonable caution.

Instead of a camera bag, I sometimes use a softsided Coleman cooler. It's padded, holds a SLR with small lens, and no one suspects it contains a camera until I open it.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I have never been to Salvador (only Rio and Florianopolis) but I do hear Salvador has a crime problem at least comparable to Rio's. - Florianopolis, on the other hand, is virtually crime free. If you are going to be with a local and you will be in a group I wouldn't sweat it. If you are going to wander around alone with a camera you run a risk.

Follow the advice you are given about not leaving valuables alone and dont carry anything valuable you really dont need to carry at the time. Most of the violent crime takes place in the Favelas but getting robbed in the tourist areas is relatively common - snatch and grabs even more so. Avoid groups of street kids. Cross the street if you have to.

I have passed by people who didnt know I speak halting Portuguese who started to discuss the fact that I was carrying a camera (a sony digital) and I dont think they were photography fans.

If you are alert to the possibility of getting ripped off then you make it far less likely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics