• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else have their red card?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I have one. I am a certified Wildland Firefighter/Firefighter-1 for the state of Maryland. I am also on the Red Cross database for emergency wildland firefighters to be deployed if needed (I almost got sent to California a few months back).

Wildland firefighting is much more demanding than structural work, especially considering that if there is a flashover of any type you probably won't have an escape. It is more physically demanding as well, considering that if you stop during a firestorm, you die. I would definitely encourage taking the course though, I learned a good deal.

How long ago did you get it? Have you been deployed at any time?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
How long ago did you get it? Have you been deployed at any time?

I got it just over a year ago. I have been deployed on brush fires in our area but nothing similar to the California fires. Friends of mine have been and said it was an absolute hell, but I would want to go relieve anyone who may be out there if anything. I have been involved in flashovers and potentially catastrophic situations in building fires, but photos like these from The Big Picture are absolutely astounding-

cf04_17066105.jpg

cf06_17065837.jpg

cf22_17069167.jpg

cf27_17061297.jpg

cf28_17061179.jpg

Knowing the risks involved with wildland firefighting I really have no desire to actually have to be in the middle of stuff like that but I feel as though it is my duty to do so. Know what you are getting yourself into; the class may be a good time but actually being on the front lines is a whole different animal. As far as I'm concerned anyone who is capable of it should do it, but to quote my friend in California- "You better be at peace with your God when you walk into this kind of fire."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads