• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Anyone else have their red card?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
14,007
Reaction score
2,162
I'm going to training in March to get my red card. Does anyone else have this? I know it's a week-long course, and you have to do the little hike at the end, but is the actual course material difficult?
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
You're joining the IWW?
 

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
14,007
Reaction score
2,162
Originally Posted by grimslade
You're joining the IWW?

I will always work tirelessly to unite the workers of the world.

Seriously, I've always wanted to be a woodland firefighter. Taking a few weeks' vacation every summer to fight wildfires would be a welcome change of pace from cubicle life.
 

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,934
Reaction score
17
Originally Posted by edmorel
I thought this had to do with sex/menstruation


Same re: Detroit ice hockey.
 

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
14,007
Reaction score
2,162
Alright....well I guess the answer is no. Of course, asking on this forum was pretty stupid to begin with.
 

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,440
Reaction score
2,957
+1. beat me to the punch.

Originally Posted by edmorel
I thought this had to do with sex/menstruation
 

randallr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
4,049
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Alright....well I guess the answer is no. Of course, asking on this forum was pretty stupid to begin with.

We HATE civil service. I think our JL's would become dirty from all that smoke.
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,652
Reaction score
862
I got a straight red card once. All I did was punch the kid in the back of the head. Bullshit soccer refs.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I will always work tirelessly to unite the workers of the world.

Seriously, I've always wanted to be a woodland firefighter. Taking a few weeks' vacation every summer to fight wildfires would be a welcome change of pace from cubicle life.


childhood dream to be a smokejumper. then they became less interested in paratroopers and more interested in firemen. such is life.

good luck and enjoy.
 

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
5,880
Reaction score
8
I have one. I am a certified Wildland Firefighter/Firefighter-1 for the state of Maryland. I am also on the Red Cross database for emergency wildland firefighters to be deployed if needed (I almost got sent to California a few months back).

Wildland firefighting is much more demanding than structural work, especially considering that if there is a flashover of any type you probably won't have an escape. It is more physically demanding as well, considering that if you stop during a firestorm, you die. I would definitely encourage taking the course though, I learned a good deal.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I have one. I am a certified Wildland Firefighter/Firefighter-1 for the state of Maryland. I am also on the Red Cross database for emergency wildland firefighters to be deployed if needed (I almost got sent to California a few months back).

Wildland firefighting is much more demanding than structural work, especially considering that if there is a flashover of any type you probably won't have an escape. It is more physically demanding as well, considering that if you stop during a firestorm, you die. I would definitely encourage taking the course though, I learned a good deal.


hat off to you. how long was the course?
 

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
5,880
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by globetrotter
hat off to you. how long was the course?

I skipped a lot of it because I had done things related to it in Firefighter-1, it was about 2 weeks for me, 3 days a week.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 131 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 248 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 8.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,707
Messages
9,222,804
Members
193,601
Latest member
CitizenJustin
Top