• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any reasonably priced high rise denim for men, athletic cut?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update, Wrangler's Cowboy Cut indeed works well! It's basically a mid-high rise in an athletic fit.

I also went with Left Field's Atlas cut which also worked. Taper is a bit too abrupt though from knees down.

Fit pic on the Wranglers? My jean requirements seem very similar to yours (including a reasonable price).

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit pic on the Wranglers? My jean requirements seem very similar to yours (including a reasonable price).
This is a 33x34. I did a cold wash, hang dry. I'm a 33 contemporary in S&M. My thighs are 22-23". Definitely need to hem, I always buy my jeans long.

20210126-154808-HDR-2.jpg

20210126-154757-HDR-2.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the thread is "Reasonably priced", and not "Best denim for men in athletic cut". $350USD for jeans doesn't fall into that in my mind.

Seems like they only do in person appointments as well, located in North Carolina.

That's true, they are a bit pricey (I missed your price range in the OP).

I wouldn't bother in that case, but I'd still suggest you look into either raw jeans or denim with a 1% stretch fabric. The issues about stretching for raws are greatly exaggerated, in my experience, and a 1% stretch allows for a much better and more comfortable taper fit. With raw jeans I'd recommend a bit longer in the hem to allow for bunching around the back of the knee and bottom, but a regular waist size should be fine.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's true, they are a bit pricey (I missed your price range in the OP).

I wouldn't bother in that case, but I'd still suggest you look into either raw jeans or denim with a 1% stretch fabric. The issues about stretching for raws are greatly exaggerated, in my experience, and a 1% stretch allows for a much better and more comfortable taper fit. With raw jeans I'd recommend a bit longer in the hem to allow for bunching around the back of the knee and bottom, but a regular waist size should be fine.
Oh I already bought a couple pairs, I was just bumping a thread from a year ago to post results.

I ended up going for single rinse type denim for both pairs, which is so far so good.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I already bought a couple pairs, I was just bumping a thread from a year ago to post results.

I ended up going for single rinse type denim for both pairs, which is so far so good.

If the "raw" denim is sanforized then it won't shrink much with washing. You don't have to get rinsed denim. Unsanforized denim, on the other hand, does shrink significantly with the first soak/wash.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Levi’s 501 rigid shrink to fit are about $30 and are high rise

If you’ve never tried them, even if you don’t end up liking them you aren’t very much set back

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads