• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ughh totally forgot about the meet up. I got my dog yesterday and spent all evening playing with him. I suck at making internet friends
frown.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
Did you get the impression at any point during the evening that one of the other SF-ers who said they'd show was lurking somewhere in the shadows watching, too afraid to say hi and make themselves known!? I bet they were...

Glad it was nice for you two, though.

Actually no - we figured most SFers in these parts are probably young, and we were definitely the youngest guys in the bar.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stazy, it was a shame to gather without you (and someotherstyle), but we indeed made due with just two. A new dog and a new condo eh? The ladies should be running your way. I can confirm that this "un-young" (I had it wrong all along) chap is a normal dude. We vowed to gather again eventually be it in Edmonton or that city down the road. Good times were had. I kept my eyes peeled for tomgirl (I'm almost convinced her move to the big city occurred only within her head), but didn't spot anybody above a 9.0 out of 10. Maybe next time I'll be so lucky... FWIW, in regards to the mention of Lanvin at Henry (above); I stopped by today and only saw about 8 pieces in total. I chatted briefly with a seemingly well-informed and friendly SA in his ~40s, but otherwise didn't find anything worth my time.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad you two had a good time. I couldn't make it out, unfortunately. I must admit, the prospect of meeting with you guys is kind of intimidating for a young'n like me in the sense that I've seen a lot of your styles, and feel I'd be sorely inferior. I know you guys wouldn't judge but it's still something that gives one pause, you know? I'll be there next time, though, definitely.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Stazy, it was a shame to gather without you (and someotherstyle), but we indeed made due with just two. A new dog and a new condo eh? The ladies should be running your way.

I can confirm that this "un-young" (I had it wrong all along) chap is a normal dude. We vowed to gather again eventually be it in Edmonton or that city down the road.

Good times were had. I kept my eyes peeled for tomgirl (I'm almost convinced her move to the big city occurred only within her head), but didn't spot anybody above a 9.0 out of 10. Maybe next time I'll be so lucky...

FWIW, in regards to the mention of Lanvin at Henry (above); I stopped by today and only saw about 8 pieces in total. I chatted briefly with a seemingly well-informed and friendly SA in his ~40s, but otherwise didn't find anything worth my time.

laugh.gif

I'm going to forego acknowledging your sarcasm, and just assume you're perceptive enough to realize my scale worth. Kidding, kidding...I actually feel sometimes as though my move is in my head too - Edmonton still haunts me daily. I went to the dentist here a day ago and my hygenist was recently removed from Edmonton too. I definitely didn't expect to be talking about Whyte Ave or how weird bagged milk is (in Ontario) while getting my teeth cleaned.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
lol wtf is bagged milk

You buy 4 1L clear plastic bags of milk that you place in re-usable plastic jugs...like...you stick the bag in the jug for stability, and cut the corner of the bag to make a spout. It's marsupialed, but cheaper than the alternative.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
You buy 4 1L clear plastic bags of milk that you place in re-usable plastic jugs...like...you stick the bag in the jug for stability, and cut the corner of the bag to make a spout. It's marsupialed, but cheaper than the alternative.
When I was growing up in Saskatchewan we had milk delivered and they delivered it in plastic bags. They stopped doing that probably 15-20 years ago now - weird they still do it in Ontario though.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Notreknip and I had a pleasant evening of Scotch and conversation. No one else made an appearance. There will be no shoe circle photos (more of a one dimensional shoe line anyway), but it was nice to discuss shoes, jackets and the Inner Circle with someone in real life without feeling like I was immensely odd.

I apologize for not showing - I wound up having to entertain a couple of clients (woo strippers
facepalm.gif
) instead. Un - I'll be in Calgary Nov 1 if you want to grab a drink. And I will definitely be up for a SF meeting another time - I wont be able to lurk in the shadows cuz I've posted far too many pics up on WAYW.

So again - I'm sorry for not showing, but promise to be there next time. And I'll buy Notreknip and Un a scotch for bailing on them this time round.

MK

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stazy, it was a shame to gather without you (and someotherstyle), but we indeed made due with just two. A new dog and a new condo eh? The ladies should be running your way.

If you know any feel free to send them my way
laugh.gif

Reaction score
FWIW, in regards to the mention of Lanvin at Henry (above); I stopped by today and only saw about 8 pieces in total. I chatted briefly with a seemingly well-informed and friendly SA in his ~40s, but otherwise didn't find anything worth my time.

Yeah, I felt the same way -- what was so interesting to me for Lanvin this fall were the out-there accessories, like the belts that go on top of sport coats, which they do not stock. However, I also understand that they didn't stock these as these belts retail for about $600 on the Lanvin website -- I just don't see any Edmontonians paying that much for a velcro belt. After all, it doesn't have the Louis Vuitton initials all over it
smile.gif

In case anyone is interested, there's a size 40 of this Gucci camel wool duffle coat at Holt Renfrew -- I'm sure you ballers out there won't balk at the $2600 retail price. Camel is, after all, the color of the season:

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someotherstyle
OK seeing as how I missed the last one who's up for a SF meetup in Nov?
Yeah. I'm in. You can consider me a "regular".

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where to get decent priced dress shirts in the city? I will not spend $240 for an Eton or $200 for a Boss. Under a hundred bones. Thanks. I get a few at winners here and there. Are the "second tier" menswear stores worth a gander? Like Derks and Val Berg's and such?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads