Any other Edmontonians here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FidelCashflow, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

2. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

When I was in town the other week I went to the Treasury. What a complete joke.

Haha oh god. A couple of my friends had to go to The Treasury for a birthday party and gave me an hour-long rant about that place the next day. The entire "bottle service" idea that they're trying to do is ridiculous in Edmonton. Apparently there were a couple of tables filled with greasy guys in their early 20s spending upwards of $5,000 on bottle service. Most likely drug-dealers. Apparently there was also a lot of polyester, too. Ugh.

Red Star is alright but it's been taken over by the "hip late 20s downtown urbanite" clique. Like most cool places in Edmonton, it's kind of one of those places that's only really enjoyed if you "know" people when you go there. Otherwise, you get to sit there and drink moderately expensive pints of Stella Artrois (it's like a requisite there) while watching late 20s "artists" and hipsters (and I use that term very loosely) canoodle and BFF with each other all hours of the night. They kind of rule the roost there, so to speak. They have a good chef though, and good food, which is a recent new addition and probably worth checking out (from what I've heard).

Don't hate on Hudsons, it's nursing student heaven.

Don't even get me started on Hudsons and nursing students. Don't even.

3. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

4. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

I think I'd enjoy hearing this.

I don't know if you're ready for that kind of wrath. [​IMG]

5. unjung

unjung Senior member

Apparently there were a couple of tables filled with greasy guys in their early 20s spending upwards of $5,000 on bottle service.
    Bottle service appeals to people who need to show their money, not people who are comfortable having money. I asked the waitress for a Scotch list, which she couldn't provide, so I walked up to the bar and picked one. Some DB sitting at a nearby table (with bottle service - $80 for GG OMG!) then comes over and introduces himself as the manager and asked if I found a Scotch I liked, which I confirmed. I then had to wait for 15 minutes for the drink to actually be served to me, incorrectly. This while a grand total of three tables were occupied on a Thursday night.

6. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

It's UFC fight night...so you know I'm headed down to Whyte Ave, where everyone thinks they're their favorite fighter.

7. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Don't even get me started on Hudsons and nursing students. Don't even.

Following on that, because of Hudsons + nurses if I ever get hurt I can't go to the royal alex, I'll be left to die.

8. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior member

That was me trying to get a group together.... kinda forgot about it to be honest and didn't push all that hard.

I heard the treasury was shit... hundo is ok (at least the know how to mix a drink). Bothy is one of my fav places in town, although if you are looking for a place to be seen, it isn't it. If you do go to the Bothy, make sure you go when Andrew is bartending. His knowledge of scotch is quite strong, and he is an awesome guy to boot.

If you want a nice, classy place downtown (again not a place to be "seen"), I'll divulge my secret. I love the Hotel Mac. Women weren't allowed until the 80s if my memory serves me correctly, and it has the decor and mannerisms of an old smoking lounge. It is always my favourite place when I'm downtown, and they have a great list.

Anyways, as for the meet, I'm in. Should we set a time in October?

MK

9. springer23

springer23 Active Member

Bothy is one of my fav places in town, although if you are looking for a place to be seen, it isn't it. If you do go to the Bothy, make sure you go when Andrew is bartending. His knowledge of scotch is quite strong, and he is an awesome guy to boot.

If you want a nice, classy place downtown (again not a place to be "seen"), I'll divulge my secret. I love the Hotel Mac. Women weren't allowed until the 80s if my memory serves me correctly, and it has the decor and mannerisms of an old smoking lounge. It is always my favourite place when I'm downtown, and they have a great list.

Anyways, as for the meet, I'm in. Should we set a time in October?

MK

I have to second that nod to The Bothy, Andrew is a great bartender, friendly and knowledgeable of his Scotch, hell he's from Scotland even! Plus he'll teach you a few verses of gaelic if you're lucky!

I also agree that Hotel Mac is seriously the closest thing Edmonton has to a classy drinking joint. It's definitely frequented by an older crowd but the service is consistent the decor is very quaint.

Just wanted to add Bibo as another suggestion for a decent place to drink in this city. It's right next to Culina Millcreek. The absinthe will eff you up properly and Gwen is the usual bartender there and she's fantastic!

10. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

How was Red Star? I haven't been there in some time.
    Enjoyable. Any place that has beef carpaccio is okay in my books.
    If you want a nice, classy place downtown (again not a place to be "seen"), I'll divulge my secret. I love the Hotel Mac. Women weren't allowed until the 80s if my memory serves me correctly, and it has the decor and mannerisms of an old smoking lounge. It is always my favourite place when I'm downtown, and they have a great list. Anyways, as for the meet, I'm in. Should we set a time in October? MK
    I love going to the Hotel Mac! Great for an evening drink or for a patio lunch during the summer. Would be down for an October meet up.
    Just wanted to add Bibo as another suggestion for a decent place to drink in this city. It's right next to Culina Millcreek. The absinthe will eff you up properly and Gwen is the usual bartender there and she's fantastic!
    +1. I love Bibo and Gwen really is great. Another awesome date spot.

11. unjung

unjung Senior member

I am up on the 14th. I am in meetings until probably 9 p.m. though. Love the Mac.

12. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior member

I have to second that nod to The Bothy, Andrew is a great bartender, friendly and knowledgeable of his Scotch, hell he's from Scotland even! Plus he'll teach you a few verses of gaelic if you're lucky!

I also agree that Hotel Mac is seriously the closest thing Edmonton has to a classy drinking joint. It's definitely frequented by an older crowd but the service is consistent the decor is very quaint.

Bibo is great. Problem is... everything I wind up going there, I wind up wayyyyy too drunk. [​IMG]

I am up on the 14th. I am in meetings until probably 9 p.m. though. Love the Mac.

How about a SF meeting at the mac on the 14th at 9? I'm in.

13. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

How about a SF meeting at the mac on the 14th at 9? I'm in.
    +1

14. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

+1

That works for me.

15. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

The 14th at 9 at the Mac, I'll be there.