1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

forgive my newbism to the scotch world, what does duty free mean?

Maybe you're a newbie to travel moreso than to scotch. They're referring to the duty-free shops located in international airports/at the borders. These shops often carry "special" bottlings that may not be available in your local domestic stores.

2. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

[​IMG]

one of the bar's concoctions... sapphire martini with a splash of laphroaig. would order again

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

A few months ago there were some special bottlings of Highland Park that were very good:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=6541

Johnnie Walker Double Black.

Thanks for these. Got the HP as the JW wasn't available. COuldn't get a Balvenie DF exclusive as I got to the store too late (HP purchased on the plane).

4. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

For jet and driveslowk:

[​IMG]

5. jet

jet Senior member

No screw ons?

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Love the big one -- Aberlour?

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I keep my wine corks, I have no idea why I never thought to keep my whisky corks [​IMG]

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Love the big one -- Aberlour?

The stumpy one in the back is an Aberlour for sure... the big one came from one of those large Signatory decanters from their "Cask Strength Collection". That particular one is either from a Ben Nevis or that super tasty Brora 24yr.

9. elevated1

elevated1 Member

I'm a slut for a good single malt but check this out. Double Black.
    Exclusive!
    [​IMG]

10. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

Anyone done a Glenlivet 21? I just ordered one to replace the Highland Park 18 I just finished. Figuring something new. Also want to do an age tasting - 16, 21, 25. Only problem is that each is from a different region and different distiller. Not much value there. Oh well.

11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Bought a bottle of yamazaki 12. Had a glass before I left for the night. Quite delightful. Will post my thoughts on it after a few glasses.

What should my next bottle be. Thinking highland park.

12. ama

ama Senior member

What should my next bottle be. Thinking highland park.

13. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Anyone done a Glenlivet 21? I just ordered one to replace the Highland Park 18 I just finished. Figuring something new. Also want to do an age tasting - 16, 21, 25. Only problem is that each is from a different region and different distiller. Not much value there. Oh well.

Warning: I'm not a fan of Glenlivet

I've attended a Glenlivet sponsored tasting where they walk you through the 12yr, 15yr, Nadurra, 18yr, and 21yr. I find most of their expressions to be rather one-dimensional... the Nadurra and 21yr were definitely the most interesting of the lot. That said, I'd rather have the HP18 than the Glenlivet 21yr (even though the latter is $30+ more).

14. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I was eying it today. $110. Might wait Til I hit up MN in a month

15. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I think all we can buy in Ohio is the HP 12. [​IMG]

16. jet

jet Senior member

why you followin me around b? My shopping list for the next couple of weeks, ellensworth 10 laph qc hp 18 Big ups to baconlover.

17. Raralith

Raralith Senior member

Some interesting names listed here, and I'm going to definately check some of them out. I'm normally drinking Macallan (12 or 18), Johnnie Walker Black (not a fan of green or blue), and J&B.

My wife wanted to become a bartender and I use to drink heavily, but I've cooled it in the last few years. We did have some friends over though and drank the Black and Gold label which are missing from the middle shelf. I need to buy another Macallan 18 too since I'm out, but also a good way to block it off when our baby is born. We've also got a friend that I'm pretty sure is an alcoholic and has repeatedly try to finish those Grey Gooses on the top by himself; he's been escourted out by security with my wife and I taking care of him one too many times.
    [​IMG]

18. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

why you followin me around b?

My shopping list for the next couple of weeks,
    ellensworth 10
    laph qc
    hp 18

Big ups to baconlover.

Because you are my idol.

19. jet

jet Senior member

20. ama

ama Senior member

Warning: I'm not a fan of Glenlivet

I've attended a Glenlivet sponsored tasting where they walk you through the 12yr, 15yr, Nadurra, 18yr, and 21yr. I find most of their expressions to be rather one-dimensional... the Nadurra and 21yr were definitely the most interesting of the lot. That said, I'd rather have the HP18 than the Glenlivet 21yr (even though the latter is $30+ more).

I'm also not a big fan. The Nadurra is by far my favorite of the line, but I don't stock any of them regularly.

Its high $80s here. Cheaper online though, I buy it online.

why you followin me around b?

My shopping list for the next couple of weeks,
    ellensworth 10
    laph qc
    hp 18

Big ups to baconlover.

Ellenstown 10 is a great deal. You'd be hard pressed to find a good CS Ardbeg for less.