Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. brianoh

brianoh Senior member

[​IMG] Most amazing blended whiskey I've ever had. Anyone ever try the 30 year?

2. tone76

tone76 Senior member

No. The term vatted malt was commonly used for many years to denote a blend of two or more single malt whiskies, but the Scotch Whisky Association (the trade organization for the Scotch industry) changed this in response to the "Pure Malt" Cardhu debacle in the early 2000s. The term now used is blended malt.
    I received a bottle of Cardhu 'Pure Malt' a few years back, and only recently discovered that it wasn't the single malt that the person that bought it for me told me it was. What has me even more baffled is that it was bought for me by a Scotsman with a drinking career spanning almost half a century. [​IMG] That said, for a vatted malt, it's still a damn fine drop. It's certainly turned around my way of thinking about scotch (i.e. blends only being good as mixers rather than as a standalone drink in their own right).

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Just bought a bottle of Glenlivet 12yr and holy fuck. Now I understand why everyone is so against blended scotch. If you're a n00b go right to single malt, do not drink blends because that shit sucks!
    There are some excellent blends -- I am a strong proponent of Johnnie Black, in fact. Gold I find to be a really excellent whisky also (probably my favorite JW). Even though I have forty-odd single malts, I don't have Glenlivet as I don't enjoy it and find it kind of grassy. ON the other hand, I love Royal Lochnagar, Mortlach, Caol Ila, Talisker, et al., which are strong contributors to JW blends, and likely explains why I enjoy them, too. Whisky is a big world, and generalizations like 'blends suck' are probably out of place unless you know enough to understand the root of your own biases -- at which point one tends to stop with the generalizations.
    I found Green to be very disappointing, the palate was severely lacking. I haven't tried Gold but I've heard better things about it. FWIW, I do have a bottle of Blue.....but I haven't gotten around to opening it yet [​IMG]
    Yeah, me too. Not really much point except to round out the list -- a local near me does good business selling if for (astonishingly cheaply) $25/shot, so if I have a hankering to remember what it tastes like that's what I do.
    Can anyone comment on Brora 30 year old? My shop has one bottle which is probably causing me to experience a false feeling of scarcity. If bought, it would likely not be opened for several years. The cost is just shy of $400. EDIT: Forgot to add that I just opened my first Lagavulin (16 year) - very smokey to my palate but nice.
    Brora, generally, is a good whisky,BUT. I generally like to have an awesome bottle of a whisky I know I'll like, that matches my palate -- so, say, a nice Crag 29 would be right up my alley. No matter what we rec, find out more about what you like and get something targeted toward that that you'll really cherish.
    I received a bottle of Cardhu 'Pure Malt' a few years back, and only recently discovered that it wasn't the single malt that the person that bought it for me told me it was. What has me even more baffled is that it was bought for me by a Scotsman with a drinking career spanning almost half a century. [​IMG] That said, for a vatted malt, it's still a damn fine drop. It's certainly turned around my way of thinking about scotch (i.e. blends only being good as mixers rather than as a standalone drink in their own right).
    His mistake was fallout from what was a bit of a scandal -- Cardhu was a true single malt for some time, and a scarce one (JW uses a lot of it in its blends), but its popularity in Europe outstripped its supply, and the owners decided to make it a vatted and call it a 'pure malt' -- which caught a lot of people off guard who still thought it was a single. I think they went back to being a single, thought, just from the outcry and general bad feeling. ~ H

4. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

[​IMG]

Most amazing blended whiskey I've ever had. Anyone ever try the 30 year?

I had the 35 - it is good, but I didn't find it worth the increase in $$$ over the 21.

5. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

I'm just beginning to sample single malts. Any recs on a good, cheaper counterbalance to Macallan 12? Thinking of Highland 12 or 15, but also concerned it may be too similar to the Macallan I already have to provide much of a contrast to my newb palate (and I'd like to get in some cheaper alternatives).

6. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Any HP is good, I don't find them too similar to Mac. I would reccomend you try some Talisker 10 if you can find it, but then again I'm a Talisker fanboy [​IMG] , look into some Balvenie or Bowmore as well; also if you're into peat there are a lot of good Islays you can try. Islays tend to be hit or miss with n00bs because the peat can be quite offputting.

7. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I pour my friend some Mac 12 and he didn't like it. But he enjoy the Talisker 10.. I'm going let him try some of my Laphroaig QC whenever. If he can handle that, Arbeg is next.

8. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

Any HP is good, I don't find them too similar to Mac. I would reccomend you try some Talisker 10 if you can find it, but then again I'm a Talisker fanboy [​IMG] , look into some Balvenie or Bowmore as well; also if you're into peat there are a lot of good Islays you can try. Islays tend to be hit or miss with n00bs because the peat can be quite offputting.

+1

9. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

Just supped some Lagvulin out of my crystal whiskey tumbler---perfect.

10. Bohdathone

Bohdathone Senior member

Having an old, heavily sherried Bunnahabhain. Can't beat it

11. AlarmGuy79

AlarmGuy79 Active Member

I'm just beginning to sample single malts. Any recs on a good, cheaper counterbalance to Macallan 12? Thinking of Highland 12 or 15, but also concerned it may be too similar to the Macallan I already have to provide much of a contrast to my newb palate (and I'd like to get in some cheaper alternatives).

The Ardbeg would be a good contrast and is at a similar price point. Laphroiag would also be an excellent contrast.

Both are Islays and will have some heat, peat and a bit of a medicinal taste. Do yourself a favor and enjoy these neat the first few times you try them, don't muddy them up with water or ice.

12. ama

ama Senior member

The Ardbeg would be a good contrast and is at a similar price point. Laphroiag would also be an excellent contrast.

Both are Islays and will have some heat, peat and a bit of a medicinal taste. Do yourself a favor and enjoy these neat the first few times you try them, don't muddy them up with water or ice.

Those are good, but get the HP, its a better stepping stone to the Islays.

13. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

I'll put the HP, Ardbeg and Laphroiags on my pickup list. I tried a cheap stopgap to add a little experience - Bowmore Legend. I like the peat, but it doesn't have the fire or depth I like in the Macallan - I assume b/c of the younger age and lower proof?

I like the Macallan 12 much more than I had anticipated. It makes the ryes, bourbons, and Irish whiskeys I had been drinking (nothing terribly special) seem fairly callow and cloying.

Is there a good site for scotch reviews?

14. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

You might enjoy the Ardbeg Ten, it's got a lot of peat, charcoal and some oak, add in some branch water or an ice cube and it will open up to bring out some citrus notes as well.

15. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

God a bottle of Springbank 10 for my SF Secret Santa. Not going to lie to you, I love it.