• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an acquired taste and the question is whether you want to acquire it.

An analogy might be if you (general you, referring to a young, inexperienced drinker, not sommelier you) are drinking tannic young American reds and it is what you associate with good times with friends and happiness by the BBQ. A 20 year old Bordeaux (or Madiran or Cahors) that has aged well and been decanted 45 minutes is still connected to that experience, but might taste off to you. A light and complex Bourgogne just tastes "weak". You could, through repeated wine tastings, learn to appreciate the well aged wine and even the Bourgogne, at which point the $5 young tannic cabernet sauvignon takes overtones of white spirit style woody harshness and you end up systematically going for beer at your friends' BBQ.

Wine is expensive enough already and you need to decide for yourself whether you want to acquire another expensive hobby, or whether you are happy sipping relatively tasteless but harmless mass market spirits on the rocks.

Separately, I do think Islay distilleries are following a trend towards ever greater harshness (sorry, "phenol ppm") to disguise younger, cheaper barrels being sold as premium limited editions (NAS, of course). There is a world of difference between an Octomore or Uigedail, and even an entry level Port Ellen (whatever that is in this day and age). Laphroaig 10yo CS fits that trend, and the 18 year old used to be more balanced but has gotten more watery and harsh in recent years, at least in my experience (could be hedonic treadmill). I look forward to the whisky hype dying down so that good, older Islays are once again affordable.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Cuck is going to **** up another thread.

If an Islay noob wants to try something approachable, Bunnahabhain is the way to go. It drinks much more like a Speyside.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Found this unopened bottle in the collection last weekend and think I might have to crack it tonight. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to crack it as I suspect this will be the last of this particular bottling I'll ever have and it was a good one.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a good one. Cragganmore (and the DE Cragganmore) were some of the single malts that first got me started. That 92 would have been a reach for when I first got started ( I think my first DE was 96)

I'm having a go through my collection to figure out a good bottle to open in celebration. I have a big event coming May 1 and am thinking just a regular bottle of Macallan 18 or an odd sherried Springbank 19yo single cask. Pros of Macallan, always replaceable, its actually been about 5 years since I've had any. Pros of Springbank, probably amazing stuff. Cons of Springbank, once its gone, its gone. I also have some old Blair Athol I could open up. Maybe I'll settle on that.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a liter of Craigellachie 13 at duty free recently. A decent price and spicy and sweet, a nice everyday drinker.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Laphroaig 10 was on sale at my local place for $39 (typically around $50 here). All this commentary reminded me to pick up a bottle.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Laphroaig 10 was on sale at my local place for $39 (typically around $50 here). All this commentary reminded me to pick up a bottle.

Gotta get that delicious rotting cow ass flavor when you can.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agreed. Make it nice and smoky -- like Laphroaig.

Seriously, though, at least this all seems to be in good spirit.

Hahaha yea make it nice and smoked.

Idk it's probably the several pages of comparing smiley whiskey to cow **** that I found ridiculous

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeez... Laphroaig may be smokey and peaty but it surely doesn't taste that bad. Definitely a very strong flavor profile for a noob to learn to either adjust to or realize that it will never be their thing.

I ordered the Ardbeg Committee release Kelpie (stay away idfnl) while Astor Wine was having an Islay sale. I also grabbed a Balvenie 12 Triple Cask while at the duty free for some summer sipping and for friends who like the sweet stuff. Great price at the Canadian border, I think it came out to $52 USD for a liter bottle.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was good. Still though, I recently opened a bottle that I got just before Christmas (I got a couple of bottles actually) and after having some other independents those bottles really stand out. The one I had last night was good for the price (around $80 for a 21 yo!) but the bottles I got before Christmas were $50. I have to forgot about those because I seem to benchmark everything I get against them and they are probably one of the best acquisitions I've made. The whisky was an 11 yo Glenallachie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads