Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Finished one, opened the other. I'm really going to miss that Springbank 17 Sherry Wood; have to find more soon. The HP 18 isn't at all what I was expecting, however. Sweet, smooth, easy drinking.

IMG_1816.JPG

2. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I havent had HP 18 in years. It used to be one of my go-tos until it became crazy expensive. The 12, 18, 25 are/were real good.
    I need to continue drinking more Springbank. I have a couple to get to soon.

3. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

I know the praises of Aberlour A'bunah have been sung on the fora in the past. Has anyone had a recent bottle that could provide a comment on the quality of the current releases?

4. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Funny you mention this. I actually haven't picked up a bottle in a while. I've been wanting some though. Anyway, Serge Valentin of whiskyfun.com just reviewed a recent batch on his blog today. He liked it.
    http://whiskyfun.com/#230617

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I have a batch #55 (I think, definitly mid 50's) at home which is fantastic. I haven't had the reportedly less impressive late #40's batches.

I finally got my hands on a Glendronach (the 12) which I'm looking forward to trying along with a Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask. Going sherry crazy!

6. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

The Glendronach 12 is awesome especially (almost unbelievably so) for the price. Have never had a Balvenie single cask but I'm sure you will be in for a treat there as well!

7. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I got a (late) Father's Day gift from the wife. A pretty sweet poster/print.
    IMG_3257.jpg IMG_3258.jpg

At some point I'll have to go through and check off how many I've tried.
    In other news, for the first time in nearly a decade I will not be celebrating my birthday with a bottle of Glenlivet 21. I am torn as to what to open. Blair Athol 26yo sherry, Springbank cask strength 19yo sherry, or Macallan 18. Will update when I decide.

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I want that poster

9. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I ended up with the Blair Athol. Pretty good. Crazy fruity with wood and a dry finish. Unlike anything Ive had before.

10. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

As a whisky nerd, I can now die happy. I have obtained a bottle of whisky that was distilled on the day I was born. Hurrah!

IMG_3272.jpg

11. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Nice @jcman311! I've always wanted just a birth year vintage, but that keeps getting more and more expensive. To be fair, though, I was recently gifted a vintage 10 years prior to my birth year as a thank-you, so that's pretty good.

12. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Opened this one tonight. Wouldve sworn it was Ardbeg if I didn't know better. 18 years, nearly 60%, hard to believe only around 5% of this is bottled in a format other than a blend:
    IMG_2039.JPG

13. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Local liquor store across the border went out of business , I happened to learn about it early enough to buy their best stock. Now I have a few hundred bottles of Scotch and Cognac.
    Some highlights: 21yo Ballentines , bunch of single year Scotches of various age mostly 19 to 21 y.o., Laudabe from 1937, 1940. Montifoud from 1984 30 y.o., Domain Boingneres from 1984 and 8 cases of different NV Champagne. I'm gonna be doing lotsa drunk posting from now on...

14. Emily Watson

Emily Watson New Member

Only a heads up for anybody in PA or near PA. The fine wine and great spirits store has ardbeg kelpie up and can be requested on the off chance that anybody is intrigued...!

15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I generally think of Ardbeg if I get seaweed and brine combined with other deep and sweeter flavors.

Recently have had Edradour Sauternes Cask, Ohishi Sherry Single Cask #1212 (huge sherry bomb with underlying whisky complexity that belies the shochu provenance), and that Glendronach 12.

My girlfriend's father says he loves single malt scotch and the higher end blends but always adds ice and sometimes even a splash of Pepsi(!), but that's how he likes to drink. I wanted to get him a bottle of something pretty decent for his birthday so I settled on Macallan 12 Double Cask as I know he hasn't tried that one yet. Not too challenging or strong but something I would also enjoy if offered a glass.