• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any experience with insurance handling suit replacement?

ATLien1982

Reaction score
My parents house caught fire last night.
All is well, everyones fine, house will make it etc... No worries there.

Parents room and closet is upstairs, the smoke got all around and settled in there a bit, and the clothes are rank with smoke stench.

We're talking Canali, Cucinelli, Pal Zileri, Valentino etc....
20 years worth of fine(ish) menswear...

Does anyone have any experience with this?
A friend with a laundromat offered to have all the stuff drycleaned right away, but said that smell won't ever really leave those finer fabrics and such.

My dad and I are not quite sure how to approach this with insurance. I mean it's a lifetime's worth of fine menswear amassed by my dad.

Any advice would be appreciated. Couldn't find anything on google, but I'll keep looking.

Wasn't quite sure where exactly to post this, but was hoping someone here might have insight.

Thanks.

RollTideTeej

Reaction score
Well I am an insurance agent (not claims) but I do know a little about how it works. I mean best thing to do is for your dad to call his agent. I can't imagine an insurance company that doesn't cover smoke damage. Sounds to me like the suits are worth enough to make a claim. It's really up to your dad, whether he thinks it is worth it to file a claim and have them replaced and then have to pay the associated claims surcharge (which he will probably already be paying due to the fire and smoke damage elsewhere). I wouldn't do anything to get them drycleaned before talking to the agent. Of course, some of these may not be able to be replaced so they may be replaced with like kind and quality or actual cash value, depending on the policy.

Glad to hear everybody is ok.

Last edited:

ATLien1982

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
I was thinking along those lines.

I'll post back about what the insurance says.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads