• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any advice for my ebay listing? Is my ask too high?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay first of all you didn't spend $6000 on that suit.
but to answer your question $1100 is too high for a used AND rather heavily altered suit (which I see you didn't mention in your listing).
I would just keep it. It's a nice summer suit.

James Patterson

Reaction score
but to answer your question $1100 is too high for a used AND rather heavily altered suit (which I see you didn't mention in your listing).

Obviously I didnt spend 6K on it AND obviously its altered I put the measurement down...

James Patterson

Reaction score

HEAVILY altered? what do you mean by heavily?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why did you write "Purchased for $6,000 at Gemelli in Milan, Italy." in your eBay listing? And where in your eBay listing do you state that it has been altered -- at the very least it has been taken in at the sides into the armholes, per your wedding suit thread.

James Patterson

Reaction score
Then why did you write "Purchased for $6,000 at Gemelli in Milan, Italy." in your eBay listing? And where in your eBay listing do you state that it has been altered -- at the very least it has been taken in at the sides into the armholes, per your wedding suit thread.

sales tactic?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd call it being dishonest. You spent $1800 on eBay and wrote that you spent $6000 in Milan.
You said nothing in your listing about alterations other than mentioning the belt loops. I missed the post where you wrote (emphasis mine)

Hey guys,
So I purchased this Kiton suit from Ian Daniels of shopthefinest.com, since I live in Staten Island, I brought the suit to Franco Ercole in Brooklyn. Just would like to know your thoughts on the images I've attached. What work needs to be done that already hasn't? We tapered the sleeves and trousers, shortened the jacket length an inch, added cuffs to the trousers, took in the side of the jacket, shortened the jacket sleeves. The suit is still there in the shop after my fitting today some more things needed to be done, and of course it needs to pressed.

Wouldn't you call that "heavily altered"?

James Patterson

Reaction score
I'd call it being dishonest. You spent $1800 on eBay and wrote that you spent $6000 in Milan.
You said nothing in your listing about alterations other than mentioning the belt loops. I missed the post where you wrote

Wouldn't you call that "heavily altered"?

wait i ask for advice on an ebay listing and youre going back into months old threads like sherlock holmes?

I ask 2 questions.

a. is my price too high
b. should i keep it and wear again

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I answered your question in my very first post without going into details. Too high for a heavily altered suit. You decided to dispute my statement that it was heavily altered so I had to respond. Yes, keep it and wear it again.

I remembered your postings and went to dig them up because I hate it when sellers are dishonest. It ruins things for everyone else who is trying to do business honestly.

James Patterson

Reaction score
and I answered your question. Too high for a heavily altered suit. Yes, keep it and wear it again.
I remembered your postings and went to dig them up because I hate it when sellers are dishonest. It ruins things for everyone else who is trying to do business honestly.

youre right, i took that out.

but i noticed ian daniels does that too. like i bought the suit from him for 2K and he advertises it as originally 5K +

Chowkin

Reaction score
youre right, i took that out.

but i noticed ian daniels does that too. like i bought the suit from him for 2K and he advertises it as originally 5K +

I'm sure Ian did not state that he bought it at 5k+, just that the suit originally retailed at that price

CloudLi

Reaction score
I am amazed by the people look into old threads to support their argument. And yes you are being dishonest, so I will never buy anything from OP. Period.

James Patterson

Reaction score
I am amazed by the people look into old threads to support their argument. And yes you are being dishonest, so I will never buy anything from OP. Period.

I can't believe you won't buy anything from me. My world is crushed and will never be the same again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads