• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have CJ benchgrade on boot/chukka and would still buy CJ benchgrade for country stuff (Pembroke/Ashdown), but on the dress shoes probably not, as I feel there is always a “upgrade version of it”. Somewhat with HG as well though I would say CJ is just a solid under stated shoe. If all you ever wear is CJ it would just be fine as well.

AM dress shoe just has a lot more “something special” to it (tank heavy dressy not sure how you say it)

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each time I wear them I’m really tempted to buy higher line AM. If only they were a little more comfortable I would not hesitate even a second.
I agree Aerie is great, but I find Argentum to be so much more comfortable that I wouldn't settle for Aeris anymore. Give it a shot lol

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. In my opinion C&J handgrade is one of the best brands when it comes to the value for money. Excellent (for the price) leather, good looking lasts and quite ok craftsmanship. And they age beautifully... but to appreciate that you need to wear them at least a few years. Honestly I don’t see much value in a review of a shoe if you did not wear them at least a year or two. Unless you are a collector who does not care much about the way shoes age but rather is interested in the small details and only plans to admire shoes on the shelf. You can’t judge a shoe after just a few wears, real quality will show as times goes by. C&J may look a little boring, but when you will see how they look after 5-10 years you will know that they are worth the price.

On Meccariello: I own only one pair of shoes by AM and it’s just a cheap Aeris shoe... but each time I wear them I am REALLY impressed. The last shape is just beautiful, the craftsmanship is really good. On feet they look like million dollars, I mean when you look at them from two meters, even my JL Prestige don’t look as good, there is just something that makes them look very expensive. Each time I wear them I’m really tempted to buy higher line AM. If only they were a little more comfortable I would not hesitate even a second.
I have over 50 pairs of shoes now so it pretty much falls into the category you mentioned heh.

I found the AM Chisel 2 rather comfortable after 2 wears

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Aerie is great, but I find Argentum to be so much more comfortable that I wouldn't settle for Aeris anymore. Give it a shot lol
The price isn't all that different to jump from Aeris to Argentum either. 410 euro vs 500-550 euro for RTW. A relatively easy jump as far as they go and fairly comparable to something like the jump from CJ main vs CJ Handgrade.

I dismiss a lot of the "best value" debates about which specific brand should take the title because I think it's an unanswerable question but if you need a cap toe there is no world in which the 500 euro Equites RTW Argentum patina service shouldn't be on the list of options in every one of those discussions.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
The price isn't all that different to jump from Aeris to Argentum either. 410 euro vs 500-550 euro for RTW. A relatively easy jump as far as they go and fairly comparable to something like the jump from CJ main vs CJ Handgrade.

I dismiss a lot of the "best value" debates about which specific brand should take the title because I think it's an unanswerable question but if you need a cap toe there is no world in which the 500 euro Equites RTW Argentum patina service shouldn't be on the list of options in every one of those discussions.
In Europe it's more like 500 EUR for Aeris vs 650 EUR for Argentum. Still quite good price and I agree that 150 EUR extra for upgrade does not sound like much... however I bought my Aeris for smth around 300 EUR (Yeossal sale :) ).

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Europe it's more like 500 EUR for Aeris vs 650 EUR for Argentum. Still quite good price and I agree that 150 EUR extra for upgrade does not sound like much... however I bought my Aeris for smth around 300 EUR (Yeossal sale :) ).
Hehe I got my Argentum for for 335 Euros including shoe trees like many here and it was a steal regardless.

I find it incredibly hard to switch from the southern european style now!

garigo

Reaction score
How would you describe the difference between the Southern European and, say, the British style?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you describe the difference between the Southern European and, say, the British style?
British is conservative and round (mostly) or country chunky styles (Tricker's and Grenson) and in my opinion very contemporary, classic and safe.

Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian focuses a lot on sharp lasts, patinas, almond/square toes etc.

At least that's how I see it!

Of course there are exceptions.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
British is conservative and round (mostly) or country chunky styles (Tricker's and Grenson) and in my opinion very contemporary, classic and safe.

Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian focuses a lot on sharp lasts, patinas, almond/square toes etc.

At least that's how I see it!

Of course there are exceptions.

To build on this great summary, I would also add that Italian shoes tend to run a bit longer. French tend to be cut even narrower in the waist and reeeeaaally lean into the patina work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics