1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Anthony Delos sells out to LVMH

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bengal-stripe, Aug 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

Arnault built his empire by buying Christian Dior which was near bankruptcy at the time.

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

The Berluti bespoke samples I have seen are not compelling. IMO Delos would make their operation world class, though I fear with commensurate prices.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  3. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I see.

In that case they are actually buying out a competitor. Good for Delos that he gets a nice consistent salary, but bad for customers that won't get to use an independent shoemaker.

OTOH it might mean he can take on more apprentices.

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

5. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Correct.

6. Kemper

Kemper Well-Known Member

LVMH is not interested by the "Delos" brand, but by Anthony Delos who is one of the greatest bootmakers of the moment.
    As a client of Anthony, I am a bit sad. I planned to order a new pair next year, but I won't give my money to Berluti.
    With Anthony, we could have a pair of incredible shoes for 3,000 euros. Now at Berluti, it will be 4,500 euros.

7. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

very disappointing. i hoped that this was just a rumor.

i'm so happy with the shoes that delos made for me and he such a nice guy.

i don't at all look forward to starting the process again with another shoemaker and the price at lobb paris is outrageously through the roof (even with the discount for using the same last).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

9. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

It seems that LVMH is trying to transform Berluti into a "bespoke superbrand", with Arnys handling tailoring side and now Delos handling shoemaking. One wonders, though, why existing Berluti bespoke craftsmen are not enough?

Andrey

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

Would be awesome IF he travels to west coast USA and does bespoke for 4500 EUR / 5600 USD.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

I doubt they are going to have him running around the globe doing bespoke.

12. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Not for $5600USD!

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Seems a way for them to increase 'market perception' more than anything else. Nothing more than a way to drive up prices and expand sales - hopefully more in regards to their current craftsmen's output than in regards to Mr. Delos.

If I were a current customer of Mr. Delos I would certainly be concerned about continuing on with him. Although would probably wait to see how things devolve before jumping ship.

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

LVMH will probably do what they normally do. Expensive, high profile, saturation glossy advertising. Get everyone to know the brand, emphasise the prestige and glamour, make people desire and want to buy the products.

Probably by the end of next year, even the poorest of peasants will have heard of "Anthony Delos", the brand will be as familiar as LV, Marc Jacobs, Kenzo, Fendi, Loewe, Dior, Bulgari, etc.

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Persactly. It is pretty much their formula. Soon enough you will see a line of RTW shoes designed by Mr. Delos but manufactured more to the quality level of EG, G&G, Lobb, etc. etc. All, of course, at a higher price point than any of the afore mentioned. Probably will include a lot of fancy finishes and exotic hides in order to fully amp up the prices.

Of course, in the background Mr. Delos may happily go on doing exactly what he is doing now. One never knows exactly what someone else's motivations may be. He may merely have decided to feather his nest financially so that he could go on with his art unencumbered.

16. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

There's a post in this thread that implies he will have to cease all independent bespoke making and will make the bespoke Berluti shoes.

It's not as if the Berluti employees are incapable, and I somehow doubt they bought him out because they couldn't find an employable shoemaker. At the best it's a jump in price for his clients, at the worst its LVMH acquiring anyone that might compete with its "exclusivity".

I can't blame the man at all. It's just a little sad.

17. chogall

chogall Senior member

Delos bespoke was more expensive than JLP for people at west coast USA if cost of traveling was taken into account; except for regular business travelers...

18. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

In that case......I can foresee a branding such as "Anthony Delos for Berluti'. Or some such.

In some ways this combo makes sense. Delos is known for his lasts and making, Berluti more for it's finishing than anything else. So the combination could be conceived to be 'the best of the best' in some ways.

Although personally I am completely turned off by the idea. Then again, I'm exactly the target customer either.

19. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

:confused: Berluti doesn't have that great finishing. Distinctive styling, sure, but adding a bit of polish to a shoe isn't something that he couldn't have figured out for himself.

The upside is that he will potentially be able to take on a few more apprentices and perhaps garner a bit more exposure.

20. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Not a fan of berluti, but am of delos.