• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony Delos sells out to LVMH

Romain

Reaction score
The way I see things: Berluti is expanding (launching a menswear collection, buying Arnys...), in order to become a sort of "Vuitton for men", or Brioni/Kiton/... killer. And buying the workshop of A. Delos (which includes 3 bootmakers, and maybe an apprentice or two), is a part of this expansion.
I believe this is an investment made in order to increase the workforce of Berluti mesure's workshop (which was not lacking of talented bootmakers). It would be a nonsense to create and breed a competitor while trying to make of Berluti a giant of the menswear industry.

However, none of the parties have made an official announcement yet (AFAIK), so these are only suppositions...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The way I see things:
Berluti is expanding (launching a menswear collection, buying Arnys...), in order to become a sort of "Vuitton for men", or Brioni/Kiton/... killer. And buying the workshop of A. Delos (which includes 3 bootmakers, and maybe an apprentice or two), is a part of this expansion.
I believe this is an investment made in order to increase the workforce of Berluti mesure's workshop (which was not lacking of talented bootmakers). It would be a nonsense to create and breed a competitor while trying to make of Berluti a giant of the menswear industry.
However, none of the parties have made an official announcement yet (AFAIK), so these are only suppositions...

sounds very reasonable.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DELOS web site goes straight to a Berluti site.....:plain:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting discussion. First, with LAGuy and others above, I agree that often it can be a good idea (in theory) for a small maker to have access to the resources and growth potential of a large brand . BUT, in practice, it can be a double edged sword... I'm thinking off hand of JIl Sander and Helmut Lang selling to Prada in the 1990's for that same reason. Both were quite "small" brands compared to the mega-Prada. IT didn't work out and within a few seasons both namesake designers were gone. Though they had more $$$ and growth, they didn't have the same freedom they'd had before.

On the other hand, knowing that Delos won't work under his own name, I understand customers being sad about the loss of his name AND a jump in price to get his work with the Berluti label... but from the LVMH perspective, I think it is smart. Were I in the business with their resources, I'd want the best available experts in charge or having a hand in my shoes. With LVMH's money, buying out a Delos and having him on the payroll is next to nothing, and yet they'll get his know how, his ideas, and his creativity.

Seems pretty smart of them, and smart of him given that it's a good deal of $$$. I'm sure the man loves shoes, but he probably also wants to live a comfortable, nice life while still being able to do what he enjoys.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DELOS web site goes straight to a Berluti site.....:plain:

No knock-off Delos on Taobao yet. Plenty of fake Berluti though.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where do you see those fake Berlutis. Would be interesting to have a look how sloppily they've been made.

www.taobao.com. Chinese version of Ebay or Amazon.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.10.144.8d5d64&id=16104236093
男士皮鞋/真皮底H.Berluti/手工定做 商务男鞋 复古风 558RMB, I think that's about $75-$80 bucks. Various sizes available.

Although knowing Taobao, what you might get often isn't what's in the pictures.

Last edited:

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Paris used to be the most exciting city for classic menswear...5 years ago you could have been outfitted with the best that the world had to offer for shoes, suits, shirtings, and accessories. With the exception of the EG store opening in the 6th, everything else has been depressing...

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paris used to be the most exciting city for classic menswear...5 years ago you could have been outfitted with the best that the world had to offer for shoes, suits, shirtings, and accessories. With the exception of the EG store opening in the 6th, everything else has been depressing...

Probably Beijing or Shanghai now, :sarcasm: especially if it's LVMH or PPR classic menswear. I suspect Paris like most other European cities is more about Gap, Zara, Topman, Uniqlo, Nike and H&M.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read an article regarding the new Berluti on one of the magazines that came with Bloomberg Markets. Berluti is now run by Arnault Jr. The article does not read promising on seeing Delos bespoke shoes again...

p.s., anyone know of bespoke shoe makers that can create Delos styled round-toe shoes asides from JL Paris?

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went by Berluti Paris a few weeks ago asking about the possibility of working with Delos and whether they planned to send him to the U.S. on trips. The guy I spoke with seemed defensive and asked me why I wanted to work with Delos because it is Berluti. This was on Saturday and he said I should come back on Monday because the people at the workshop are off. I returned on Monday and the Asian woman there asked me if I had an appointment. I didn't because the man on Saturday didn't ask me to make an appointment. She called the man responsible for bespoke and said that he wasn't available to meet. I was leaving Paris the next day, so it didn't work out. Interestingly, before I left for Paris I asked the people at the Berluti store in NYC to help me contact Berluti Paris in case I need to make an appointment and etc. They weren't able to help me make the connection and recommended I touch base with them once I arrived in Paris.

I get the impression that Berluti is still set up for mainly for retail and not for bespoke. They don't seem organized in the left hand not knowing what right hand is doing kind of way.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
IMO Delos would make their operation world class, though I fear with commensurate prices.

Yes. :(
Delos still service ex client bespoke shoe?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads