• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An interesting comparison from Pitti

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are the heads of two well known Italian brands in the US. It is interesting to see the difference between how the two are dressed. Cucinelli is very relaxed and epitomizes the sort of relaxed/Anglophile/Italian look that you see a lot and Borrelli epitomizes the more Italian/Italian look that is also common. I think that both are very valid styles when done well. I have to say that our friend Soph is as close to FB as I can imagine in style.

bcpitti.jpg

fborrelli.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been really enjoying the Satorialist's Pitti Uomo blog, and I think it goes to show that there's a very wide variety of valid, authentic Italian style out there. It kind of makes you think twice about trying to capture that style by just wearing certain brands, which seems kind of impossible since a large part of it is so personal.

--Andre

P.S. Here's the blog site:

http://men.style.com/fashion/blogs/sartorialist

horton

Reaction score
Excellent post! I was just today thinking about something analogous, namely mixing and matching among Italian brands especially for business casual (i.e., up to sportsjackets and ties).

For example, with Borrelli I find it hard to match Borrelli pieces with other brands and have them look nearly as good when paired with other Borrelli pieces -- in fact I've stopped trying and find myself having Borrelli-days like today when I'm wearing Borrelli shirt, trousers and sweater (and Mantellassi loafers which essentially are Borrelli shoes too). Obviously a lot has to deal with the fit, e.g., being trimmer cut, but I think it goes deeper than that, e.g., into the variety of textures and color palettes (sp?). I don't quite have my finger on it.

Also, I like a lot of Italian brands, but find I have to be the most cautious with Borrelli because some pieces look great in the store but then when tried on are just too Italian (on me, perhaps not for others)!

On the other hand, I find other brands to be the exact opposite. For example with Luciano Barbera I find their sweaters and slacks to be very versatile and easy to coordinate. Their shirts sometimes are uninspiring when viewed in isolation (e.g., looking too busy) but when paired with trousers or sweater look much, much better.

Great thread

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second guy's outfit just looks uncomfortable to my eye. A close-up could probably be used to determine whether he was circumcised. I hope that this obsession with slim pants and tight everything tones down a bit sometime soon.

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
The second guy's outfit just looks uncomfortable to my eye. A close-up could probably be used to determine whether he was circumcised. I hope that this obsession with slim pants and tight everything tones down a bit sometime soon.

+1

I tried on a pair of Borrelli pants one time (or attempted such) that were so tight at the ankle opening I could barely get my foot through them. That pair of pants was an example of what I meant by too Italian. Likewise while I don't mind slightly higher pants when there's a trim leg (indeed I think it's essential) the second guys pants are just too high.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
+1

I tried on a pair of Borrelli pants one time (or attempted such) that were so tight at the ankle opening I could barely get my foot through them. That pair of pants was an example of what I meant by too Italian. Likewise while I don't mind slightly higher pants when there's a trim leg (indeed I think it's essential) the second guys pants are just too high.

Well, I think that it all depends on how it is done. My suit pants are about 16.5 at the bottom, and my odd trousers are around 15.5, but they never have the appearance of some of these very thigh peged trousers. I don't really know why that is. I have tried on some of the Borrelli's that measure larger but fit tighter. Anyway, I think that both guys look good.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really hate those pants on the second picture. they look like tights to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads