• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An American Rube in Paris

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
cooool.

HCMC or Hanoi?

I'm going to be looking for a local partner - so probrably both. I'll let you know when things firm up.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Berluti

After much internal strife I decided against my better judgment and went into Berluti's St. Germain location. By internal strife I'm referring to Berluti's somewhat marred reputation on these boards as making shoes much too delicate for everyday use.

For our Paris members I'd suggest a visit if only to gaze at the hot blonde that works there, just is a stunning example of Parisian beauty. Anyway I digress.

I tried the Olga III (990EU), Olga (900EU) and the Andy (900EU). The Club III line is characterized by a much narrower last which to my estimation would not be able to fit only the crow feet among us. Even the Club line was tight and so I asked the fitter what other options were available to me, she mentioned the full bespoke which if memory serves was 2500EU+ and demi-measure which was 1250EU. Demi-measure allows for slight modifications to the last as well as custom patina service, they used the same paper work that they use with bespoke (foot on a piece of paper, etc). As I was only concerned with slight modifications I decided to forgo painting my shoes red and green went with a truffle brown color. They will be ready in early March. I'll post pics when I get them.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Great comments Bill. Thanks.

I'm a lone defender at times of Berluti quality on this board and AAAC. I personally think they make a nice shoe. I'll look forward to seeing your shoes in March. Perhaps we can have lunch.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. The custom patina service should be available with their RTW as well, or at least it was in Paris. The demi mesure is, from what I can gather, a special order from their Italian factory. The bespoke was quoted to me last year at 3200 euros or so. Maybe the blonde liked you.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
The bespoke was quoted to me last year at 3200 euros or so. Maybe the blonde liked you.
No I think your right.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Corthay After wandering around St. Honore for a bit I finally stumbled upon Rue Volney and bottier Pierre Corthay. The shop is very discreet and extremely small with the display and fitting room taking up no more than a Parisian hotel room. I knock and Stephan answers his breath smells of fresh clover. I again introduce myself in garbled French and he shows me through the bespoke room and into the display. Pierre suddenly appears and introduces himself and takes over in English (thank God). He explains that everytime around this year they try to turnover there entire inventory thus the reason for the 20% off the remaining stock (my lucky day). I notice the Bucy, the Cocteau, and a brown suede two eyelet derby that has much softer lines than the infamous Arca. They end up having my size in the Bucy and Cocteau which for what its worth is true to my US size 8.5. After the fitting its on to picking the patina which I throughly enjoyed with Pierre. He explained the process, some of his favorites and as the pictures indicate I went with what he calls Rosewood on the Cocteau and Used Noir on the Bucy. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. FYI - Some news that will surely taken warmly by our members. Corthay is coming to NYC and San Fransisco via Bergdorf Goodman and Wilkes Bashford. Look for his collection of RTW this Summer.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
where did you stay Bill?
Left Bank
The Luxembourg Parc

Right Bank

The West-End Hotel

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Berluti After much internal strife I decided against my better judgment and went into Berluti's St. Germain location. By internal strife I'm referring to Berluti's somewhat marred reputation on these boards as making shoes much too delicate for everyday use. For our Paris members I'd suggest a visit if only to gaze at the hot blonde that works there, just is a stunning example of Parisian beauty. Anyway I digress. I tried the Olga III (990EU), Olga (900EU) and the Andy (900EU). The Club III line is characterized by a much narrower last which to my estimation would not be able to fit only the crow feet among us. Even the Club line was tight and so I asked the fitter what other options were available to me, she mentioned the full bespoke which if memory serves was 2500EU+ and demi-measure which was 1250EU. Demi-measure allows for slight modifications to the last as well as custom patina service, they used the same paper work that they use with bespoke (foot on a piece of paper, etc). As I was only concerned with slight modifications I decided to forgo painting my shoes red and green went with a truffle brown color. They will be ready in early March. I'll post pics when I get them.
Good for you! I visited Paris twice last year and each time, treated myself to a pair. I purchased the 'cyclist' in the Tatoue collection last winter at the St. Germain boutique from a gentleman named Armel and bought the "Andy" in Classic collection last September from a very beautiful woman, Joanne at their flagship store at Rue Marbeuf. Incidentally they offer the second patina free of charge which they recommend doing after six months. I'm going back to Paris in the Spring to have my Andy loafers have a second patina. For the record, the color of my Tatoue ( in Sienna and Black combo ), looked a lot better after the second patina. Thumbs up for Berluti and their Paris staff.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I would expect the price to be ridiculous
And the sales tax will also be ridiculous.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads